Plane Returns To Phuket Airport After Extra Passenger Found On Board

webfact

How could there have been an extra passenger? Apparently staff didn’t do their jobs checking people in. I hope they fined that extra person big time for all those stranded, but I do think they could have continued and took care of them once they landed. Just my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, jcmj said:

How could there have been an extra passenger? Apparently staff didn’t do their jobs checking people in. I hope they fined that extra person big time for all those stranded, but I do think they could have continued and took care of them once they landed. Just my opinion. 

Not sure but the fact 2 plane loads on 1 flight probably the problem first cancelled flight I'm in 23a second flight  I've shown my original ticket get on flight even if another passenger has 23a we find a seat obviously flight still not full or not enough seats ground crew mistake but costly.lucky for them in Thailand not Europe where compulsory compensation is owed plus accommodation and food.

Here's hoping no one was using this flight as a means to catch onward flight home with other airline very costly 

26 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Disturbing security lapse. Unconscionable. If that extra passenger had insidious intentions, the aftermath would have been unthinkable. 

Highly likely the anomaly in the manifest was discovered shortly before take off because they usually do a passenger count whilst taxiing to the runway. And a good thing the flight attendants did that and had the presence of mind to inform the captain, rather than simply dismissing the matter with a perfunctory ไม่เป็นไร

3 hours ago, webfact said:

As a result some of the  passengers departing on flight VZ2305 were transferred to flight VZ309, but as an extra passenger was found after takeoff the airplane had to return to Phuket airport.

Got it now?

1 hour ago, jcmj said:

It's a VietJet, not Singapore or Cathey airlines and similar airlins that security is paramount, and who knows, what extra passenger could mead or do, this is airlines are not a bus, every passenger AND HIS LUGGUGE are accounted for...

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Got it now?

Doesn't change the fact that this is a serious security lapse. 

Nothing for me to admit or acknowledge in terms of getting it now, in the past or in the future. Whether I "got it now" that the extra passenger was detected post-takeoff instead of pre-takeoff doesn't change anything substantially or materially in the seriousness of having a stowaway inside the aircraft.

Got it now? Good.

Edited by Thomas KH

20 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Doesn't change the fact that this is a serious security lapse. 

Nothing for me to admit or acknowledge in terms of getting it now, in the past or in the future. Whether I "got it now" that the extra passenger was detected post-takeoff instead of pre-takeoff doesn't change anything substantially or materially in the seriousness of having a stowaway inside the aircraft.

Got it now? Good.

Had you not made an important gaff in your earlier post I might just have 'let it go'.

You said that 'they usually do a passenger count whilst taxiing to the runway'. That is not correct. Passengers are counted as the pass through the departure gate and then they are counted again as they enter the aircraft. If you look carefully, one of the flight attendants will be using a manual click counter and the count that he or she makes must match that at the departure gate.

Up until the point when the doors are closed, responsibly for the number of passengers lies with the ground staff. After that it's up to the airline. If the aircraft then departs the gate and worse as in this case takes off, then there will be serious financial costs to the airline. Gate fees and in this case landing fees as well will be imposed.

Yes, I agree with you, this is a serious incident, but the airline should always do its passenger count before departing the gate, never whilst taxying.

• Thumbs Up 2

They put two plane loads of bookings onto one plane (one plane was cancelled so they added them to the another flight) so its the fault of the airline and airlines ground staff.

Additionally when the plane re-landed in Phuket, the airport then closed the runway for a pre-approved maintenance of the runway which Vietjet had already been informed of. So everybody on the flight was stranded in the airport terminal overnight. Apparently they have been offered a 500 baht voucher.

Amateurish at best.

only read the other day passenger boarded with tickets and boarding passes to find there seats were not even there

The plane seating + the computer did not match... there was 3 rows of seats less fitted then showed on the computer/booking staff did not know.

• Thanks 1

This is typical of Thai VietJet air as well as VietJet air... from my recent experience anyone who books a flight with them is stupid or ignorant (I was ignorant... did not know how badly this airline is run)... total lack of plan for contingencies that are everyday occurrences... total lack of concern for patrons... DO NOT FLY ON VIETJET AIR.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, ignis said:

only read the other day passenger boarded with tickets and boarding passes to find there seats were not even there

The plane seating + the computer did not match... there was 3 rows of seats less fitted then showed on the computer/booking staff did not know.

This is not unusual often medical seats use 3 rows at rear of aircraft I got on to an oman Airways flight ( I used to choose last row of 3 mostly got whole 3 seats to myself) with allocated seat that no longer was available but still on my boarding card

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

AOT said the delay started with flight VZ2304 from Suvarnabhumi to Phuket being unable to fly. As a result some of the  passengers departing on flight VZ2305 were transferred to flight VZ309, but as an extra passenger was found after takeoff the airplane had to return to Phuket airport.

A roight ole mess....

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

Makes me wonder what the extra passenger thought he/she was doing? Just trying it on, hitching a ride? Boarding a flight for which they didn't have a ticket? Or boarding pass? How did they get through check-in? All very odd. Captain might have decided to fly to BKK anyway, and then have the extra passenger dealt with there. But maybe computer said no.

More to the point how did the passenger get through the departure gate to board the flight?

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You never flown AirAsia?

Yes, many times on short haul "Fly-thru" International flights from Thailand - an excellent budget airline for such flights to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Burma (prior to current Junta). The airline does fly Air-bus A 320's. 

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

More to the point how did the passenger get through the departure gate to board the flight?

Quite right. Normally when go the gate, you show your boarding pass and ID/passport and then they scan the boarding pass into the computer.Then you wait for the flight to be called. When you actually board the aircraft the boarding pass is checked again? Something must have gone terribly wrong?

• Thanks 1