Air Fryers

spider1197

I use to have a Philips like the one pictured on the first page, it's probably at the small end in terms of size. A few months ago I got a bigger Philips Air fryer model HD9270/91 (6.2l). It's on Lazada from about 3,400 baht.

In my opinion it's much much better than my old smaller one which was maybe 5 years old. It just cooks stuff better, probably due the better airflow with the bigger basket.  It's got a bunch of presets but basically just use the temp and timer.

I subscribe to a consumer magazine in Australia that test all sorts of everyday home appliances and this was rated very highly, not the best one but maybe 3rd best and for me was the best value for money.

Edited by Taxi
Added size
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

If you have an oven with a fan in it you already have an air fryer.

Maybe so, but an air fryer basket IME is a hell of a lot easier to clean than an oven. I can't fit an oven into a kitchen sink, maybe that's my problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So an Air fryer is basically an oven, doesn't sound as good

For a condo it is much better - and for cooking smaller items; less practical for a larger family I imagine.

My first airfyer was the basket type, great for shaking up chips - cr4p for turning steak and kidney puddings.

I now use a 3 tray oven (the name 'airfryer' becomes a bit of a misnomer) which is far more versatile and easier to clean.

2 hours ago, Ombra said:

I also have an old Philips and I am happy to learn about silicone liners because keeping it clean has always been a bit of a problem.

I line mine with baking paper, easy, just throw the paper away.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, rwill said:

If you have an oven with a fan in it you already have an air fryer.

That's true, but the most important different is the air fryer is much smaller up to temperature in a few seconds, you will safe a lot of electricity.

I have also a air fryer and very happy with it, no electronics, simple  mechanical timer and the temperature is adjustable from zero to 200 c.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

For a condo it is much better - and for cooking smaller items; less practical for a larger family I imagine.

My first airfyer was the basket type, great for shaking up chips - cr4p for turning steak and kidney puddings.

I now use a 3 tray oven (the name 'airfryer' becomes a bit of a misnomer) which is far more versatile and easier to clean.

So someone could just buy an oven instead? having a quick look on Lazada looks like ovens are pretty cheap but maybe no fan

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2022 at 9:42 AM, KhunLA said:

The 'oil-free' air frying marketing is total BS ... unless you like your food dry and unevenly cooked.   You still have to use oil, and just as any other method, you control the amount.

It's simply a smaller, more powerful (maybe) convection oven, nothing more, nothing less.  Good for 2 people, or 1, as they are small, or expensive for larger ones.  Probably use less energy, if that's a concern, along with possibly easier clean up.  We can't cook a meal in our smaller (mid size) 'air fryer', and that's 12L, larger than most.  Does cook a large whole chicken nicely though.

We have 3 different size convection overs, two actually labeled 'air fryer; 12L & 56L.   Those 2 have powerful fans and same cooking temp range.   So basically no difference.  

I still prefer pan frying most things, using; cast iron, SS, ceramic coated carbon steel.  French fries ... sorry, have to be deep fried, as yet to taste any other method that is better.   Cooked properly, uses very little oil.

Use the ovens for roasting veggies and land critter meat & pizza/pizza bread & baked good; bread & pastries.  Needing the larger space.  Most air fryers do 1 serving of veggies, maybe 2 of meat, if a lite eater.

This is our medium size 'air fryer' @ 12L ????

image.png.a2481342ce482601d6a00b283cf4bca7.png

Sonar brand, though not sure I would recommend, but knowing we were going to rarely use, worth the all of ฿850 gamble, and actually works as advertised.  As stated, will do a whole chicken nicely, along with sm pizza (after cast iron for bottom), or pizza bread.  Good for only a couple pastries, turnovers. 

If going to use an air fryer on a consistent basis, we would have bought an Electrolux, largest model, but very expensive.  As much as our 56L over/air fryer, actually labeled as such and have 3 powerful fans.

They use a lot more electric apparently

Edited by Seppius
pic would not load

On 12/3/2022 at 9:04 AM, Orinoco said:

I had that very unit.

Was ok.

But the basket did detach from the try one time and went crashing to the floor.

Used an oven glove to support under it,  after that.

Wire basket broke after about 3 years.

Did you get your money back?

I've had a basic Philips for almost 6 years.  Bulletproof.  The detachable basket aids cleanup as does using wax paper inners.  As far as cooking....chips come out great, frozen and homemade, just spay some oil on first.  Chicken pieces cook quickly and are perfectly moist.  Sausages, bacon fish all come out perfect.  My Thai wife loves it.  All just my opinion, of course.

Hi friends

It's been interesting to see the different views on air fryers.

I've had two different size Phillips for around 15 years and I must say we rarely use the conventional oven.

One can cook and bake most things you would use an oven for in less time and cleanly. 

I'm sure if the non believers purchased and

used an AF they would see to he advantages.  Buy cheap and you buy twice.

To do chips put a small amount of oil in the tray as well, cooks as well as deep fat. Only use frozen battered food, it won't do breadcrumbed food very well I've found.

Happy cooking. . Johnny Windas

1 minute ago, Ombra said:

That's good to know. I thought about that, but I assumed that the paper would burn.

Am no authority but it would seem that blocking airflow defeats the purpose - the idea is to have direct hot air flow on all cooking surface.  Without that times will be longer and in effect becomes a normal oven.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Am no authority but it would seem that blocking airflow defeats the purpose - the idea is to have direct hot air flow on all cooking surface.  Without that times will be longer and in effect becomes a normal oven.

You are right. It must defeat the purpose. The problem is how to keep the machine clean in a country where taps only have cold water. I have to boil water to clean mine.

19 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I'm pretty sure there are electronics involved.  

Why?

As electronics hobbyist I have only change one time replace the thermostat, I can draw it out for you, a motor, a heating element a blower a mechanical timer and a thermostat....that's all.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:24 AM, spider1197 said:

I have looked around at different models and do not need a large one since we are just 2 people.   I know you can not cook everything in one.  Any opinion would be appreciated.

I thought the same and bought a small one but it didn't cook very well. My niece had bought a larger one and thought it was too big so we swapped. The larger one cooked much better, probably better airflow.

As you say not suitable for everything, I also have a halogen oven which many seem to think is also an air fryer, but the much lower airflow restricts it from the same comparisons. Roast potatoes about 10 minutes in the air fryer and over half an hour in the halogen,  says it all.

Both are very useful appliances.

17 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Why?

As electronics hobbyist I have only change one time replace the thermostat, I can draw it out for you, a motor, a heating element a blower a mechanical timer and a thermostat....that's all.

I have just replaced the heating element on my sister in laws halogen oven,all basic components.

But I have seen some airfryers with a digital display, which some may think makes it electronic.

Just now, sandyf said:

I have just replaced the heating element on my sister in laws halogen oven,all basic components.

But I have seen some airfryers with a digital display, which some may think makes it electronic.

Of course, it depends on the price, or you prefer electronic display for example.

Then there must some electronics inside.