Air Fryers

spider1197

I have been informing myself about air fryers and need some input from people who have personal experience using one.  I am trying to get away from using so much oil to fry food.  I have looked around at different models and do not need a large one since we are just 2 people.   I know you can not cook everything in one.  Any opinion would be appreciated.

1.  Size does matter - larger is better - you need room for air to circulate easily. 

2.  Cheap is cheap - ours lasted a week - as this is likely to get a lot of usage better to protect investment and home with a unit that will last and not risk it becoming a fire pit.  Lesson learned.

3.  FF are not the same - but OK.  Find much better for quick cook of meats/shrimp and such.

4.  You do want, and need, a timer.  But manual turn dial is fine.

5.  If you buy non basket like Tefal (which has been working fine) a spatula works fine for removing contents.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Purchase one with a strong wire basket, rotary, temp and time dial. I have a Philips, and it is now on its 5th year. I also bought a silicone liner, saves a lot of cleaning of the base and wire mess. Very quick heat up time, and cooking times. I do agree with a previous poster about fries, better done in traditional away. 

IMG_20221203_085053.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Correct, they taste better when they are not dripping in oil.

(the only exception is a local eatery where they thrice cook their chips)

You were wrong, you made a stupid statement.

just stop now. get over it and move on.

Edited by Orinoco

12 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

Purchase one with a strong wire basket, rotary, temp and time dial. I have a Philips, and it is now on its 5th year. I also bought a silicone liner, saves a lot of cleaning of the base and wire mess. Very quick heat up time, and cooking times. I do agree with a previous poster about fries, better done in traditional away. 

IMG_20221203_085053.jpg

I had that very unit.

Was ok.

But the basket did detach from the try one time and went crashing to the floor.

Used an oven glove to support under it,  after that.

Wire basket broke after about 3 years.

Edited by Orinoco

The 'oil-free' air frying marketing is total BS ... unless you like your food dry and unevenly cooked.   You still have to use oil, and just as any other method, you control the amount.

It's simply a smaller, more powerful (maybe) convection oven, nothing more, nothing less.  Good for 2 people, or 1, as they are small, or expensive for larger ones.  Probably use less energy, if that's a concern, along with possibly easier clean up.  We can't cook a meal in our smaller (mid size) 'air fryer', and that's 12L, larger than most.  Does cook a large whole chicken nicely though.

We have 3 different size convection overs, two actually labeled 'air fryer; 12L & 56L.   Those 2 have powerful fans and same cooking temp range.   So basically no difference.  

I still prefer pan frying most things, using; cast iron, SS, ceramic coated carbon steel.  French fries ... sorry, have to be deep fried, as yet to taste any other method that is better.   Cooked properly, uses very little oil.

Use the ovens for roasting veggies and land critter meat & pizza/pizza bread & baked good; bread & pastries.  Needing the larger space.  Most air fryers do 1 serving of veggies, maybe 2 of meat, if a lite eater.

This is our medium size 'air fryer' @ 12L ????

image.png.a2481342ce482601d6a00b283cf4bca7.png

Sonar brand, though not sure I would recommend, but knowing we were going to rarely use, worth the all of ฿850 gamble, and actually works as advertised.  As stated, will do a whole chicken nicely, along with sm pizza (after cast iron for bottom), or pizza bread.  Good for only a couple pastries, turnovers. 

If going to use an air fryer on a consistent basis, we would have bought an Electrolux, largest model, but very expensive.  As much as our 56L over/air fryer, actually labeled as such and have 3 powerful fans.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is why we didn't buy an Electrolux, though most other electric appliances are.  They don't even make a large and a 3L or 5L size would be useless for us.  We have a toaster over (#3 convection oven) for small uses.  

Should be able to get an 'Otto' type brand, 5L for under 2000 baht.

Just peeked on HomePro, and the Otto only goes up to 200°C.   Not enough IMO, and you want at least 230° & a powerful fan. 

Good Luck finding a quality one.

Quite the price difference also:

image.png.f2ae6f4564b76feb756be0164cf4aab8.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Sounds like you are too lazy to coat your chips before putting your chips in the air fryer  -  mine come out perfectly.

If you don't use the air fryer properly it will become redundant.

maybe because you are using oven chips, because that's the only way chips in an air Fryer will be as good as oil fried chips

Just now, steve187 said:

maybe because you are using oven chips, because that's the only way chips in an air Fryer will be as good as oil fried chips

I am not using oven chips  -  wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I use Makro crinkle cut or Siamsburis 500g thick cut.

• Thumbs Up 1