Air Fryers

spider1197

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Correct, they taste better when they are not dripping in oil.

(the only exception is a local eatery where they thrice cook their chips)

A 'local eatery' probably uses frozen chips from Macro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Sounds like you are too lazy to coat your chips before putting your chips in the air fryer  -  mine come out perfectly.

If you don't use the air fryer properly it will become redundant.

Frozen OVEN chips are already coated in oil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

That's BS, they don't taste 100% the same as deep fried in oil.

stop your BS.  :thumbsup:

And if you do them the Italian @nigella Lawson' way and put them in COLD oil and bring up to temperature, you do not get the splattering you get when putting in hot oil.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I gave my air fryer to the mama in the village.

Does she use it. ?

They love there open gas burners so much.

Think they would be very scared of the electric bill.

Bought stuff for the mother in law over the years,  but she still goes and cuts wood and cooks on open fire  or gas burner, only exception is a electric rice cooker.

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Bought stuff for the mother in law over the years,  but she still goes and cuts wood and cooks on open fire  or gas burner, only exception is a electric rice cooker.

My MIl is a bit more modern I believe and according to the Ms., the MIL does use and like the fryer.      I didn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

WE have a cheap SmartHome Air Fryer.  It's the ducks guts!

Wife cooks meat/ribs in it - they come out great - and is much easier to clean than a conventional oven or messy frypans.

I heat (frozen) pies in it - they come out crispy & perfect - not soggy and cold in the middle like from the microwave.

We are setting up a new kitchen - and will probably equip with Air fryer convection microwave combo.

But wait there's more!

Now how much would you pay!?!

JK, but does sound like an air fryer infomercial.

Got one recently, and I love it. This was just a cheapo off Lazada, when it conkes out I will get a more expensive one.

I think the chips are brilliant in it, particularly fresh hand cut ones. Put in a bowl first with tiny amount of lard, black pepper, salt and a pinch of Cayenne, then mix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

DOH!  Wakey, wakey @KannikaP....???? I tried them; I didn't liked the, so I don't buy them.

Looking at YT vids, and the honest ones, I wasn't impressed.   They have their use for small meals, small space kitchens, but that's about it, IMHO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roo860 said:

YouTube video, loads of em.

Could always use a bread machine to make bread.

they are not very good. :giggle:

Unlike an Air fryer and food mixer or serious elbow grease. :cheesy:

b.jpg

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Looking at YT vids, and the honest ones, I wasn't impressed.   They have their use for small meals, small space kitchens, but that's about it, IMHO.

I agree, totally suitable for my condo - and whilst we have one in the house, we mainly use the big oven.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The 'oil-free' air frying marketing is total BS ... unless you like your food dry and unevenly cooked.   You still have to use oil, and just as any other method, you control the amount.

It's simply a smaller, more powerful (maybe) convection oven, nothing more, nothing less.  Good for 2 people, or 1, as they are small, or expensive for larger ones.  Probably use less energy, if that's a concern, along with possibly easier clean up.  We can't cook a meal in our smaller (mid size) 'air fryer', and that's 12L, larger than most.  Does cook a large whole chicken nicely though.

We have 3 different size convection overs, two actually labeled 'air fryer; 12L & 56L.   Those 2 have powerful fans and same cooking temp range.   So basically no difference.  

I still prefer pan frying most things, using; cast iron, SS, ceramic coated carbon steel.  French fries ... sorry, have to be deep fried, as yet to taste any other method that is better.   Cooked properly, uses very little oil.

Use the ovens for roasting veggies and land critter meat & pizza/pizza bread & baked good; bread & pastries.  Needing the larger space.  Most air fryers do 1 serving of veggies, maybe 2 of meat, if a lite eater.

This is our medium size 'air fryer' @ 12L ????

image.png.a2481342ce482601d6a00b283cf4bca7.png

Sonar brand, though not sure I would recommend, but knowing we were going to rarely use, worth the all of ฿850 gamble, and actually works as advertised.  As stated, will do a whole chicken nicely, along with sm pizza (after cast iron for bottom), or pizza bread.  Good for only a couple pastries, turnovers. 

If going to use an air fryer on a consistent basis, we would have bought an Electrolux, largest model, but very expensive.  As much as our 56L over/air fryer, actually labeled as such and have 3 powerful fans.

Horses for courses, IMO an air fryer is ideal for a condo kitchen when the condo itself is 35 sqm. 56 L sounds like you have the Russian Army to cook for.

I use an olive oil spray in the non-stick tray to avoid sticking, and marinade every meat I cook. I don't use oil other than as stated. I have not experienced dryness or uneven cooking, and I'm using the most basic air fryer there is.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

Ninja is the best in my opinion.

We've had one for 9 months, bought Mum one 3 months ago when I could see the gas/electricity costs rising as she lives alone and loves it.

They do save on gas/elec' a great  deal - in honesty not as good as a good cooker ( I have a Rangemaster ) but much cheaper for small families/quickly cook produce

On 12/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, hotandsticky said:

Sounds like you are too lazy to coat your chips before putting your chips in the air fryer  -  mine come out perfectly.

If you don't use the air fryer properly it will become redundant.

I agree totally. I just love my air fryer and I'm now on my second one. The first one had a warranty problem and was not available as a replacement so I ended up buying a bigger one. I have two pieces of information advice to offer. Don't buy a small one because they are worse than useless and a lot of things can be cooked and little aluminum foil trays such as takeaways and prepared foods sometimes coming it makes a lot easier cleaning up the air fryer if the machine itself is clean and you're just washing the little aluminum tray box

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

I agree totally. I just love my air fryer and I'm now on my second one. The first one had a warranty problem and was not available as a replacement so I ended up buying a bigger one. I have two pieces of information advice to offer. Don't buy a small one because they are worse than useless and a lot of things can be cooked and little aluminum foil trays such as takeaways and prepared foods sometimes coming it makes a lot easier cleaning up the air fryer if the machine itself is clean and you're just washing the little aluminum tray box

How big is yours?

If you don't mind me asking.

• Haha 2

On 12/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, Kildonan said:

Purchase one with a strong wire basket, rotary, temp and time dial. I have a Philips, and it is now on its 5th year. I also bought a silicone liner, saves a lot of cleaning of the base and wire mess. Very quick heat up time, and cooking times. I do agree with a previous poster about fries, better done in traditional away. 

IMG_20221203_085053.jpg

I also have an old Philips and I am happy to learn about silicone liners because keeping it clean has always been a bit of a problem.