Dreaded Cambodia visa run

pomchop

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shame, the guy who ran it had 4+ buses, very well organised, must have gone belly up during covid

They don't need visa runs there.....They make loads off just processing visas......With 99% less overhead and 99% less hassle.

3 hours ago, sscc said:

I went just days ago.   This was my first experience. 

Driver came to my residence at 5 am.   Back home at 5 pm.   One snack/toilet stop each way.   

It was on a 10-passenger mini-van,   not bad overall.   

Was taken to Ban Laem border.   Procedure at the border was rather smooth.  But there were a bit of line-up for the immigration-PP control windows. 

I think they insisted leaving early with good reason.   

Yea spit out some names and numbers..

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, TaaSaparot said:

how did you buy a ticket from these people...they told me to go to kasikorn bank which sounds very strange to me....i can't get them to advise if i can visit their office or if they have an agent i can visit as they don't seem to respond very well to questions....frankly the idea of kasikorn bank selling me a ticket and coordinating details for a 5/6 am pick up does not fill me with confidence...

On 12/4/2022 at 8:38 PM, pomchop said:

thanks i will go over and ask them ....the one that is near jomtiem immigration wants 5500 thb....one off of soi buahkhaow says 4100 thb....so 2300 would be a deal....

Does it have to be Cambodia? Return train to Malaysia probably cheaper, no visa fees if visa exempt.

11 minutes ago, pomchop said:

ok just to update anyone interested in pattaya cambodia visa run I found out this:

1.The companies who have FB and websites are really tough to get to respond.  Pattayavisarun.com wants me to transfer $$ via kasikorn bank and apparently has no office or ticket agent in pattaya...they seem to be cheapest at 3100 THB but i am not thrilled re kasikorn and company that is tough to get in touch with etc.

2.  i went to soi 13/2 today...there is a travel agent called Champions that says 3500 THB leaves everyday at 5 /6 am...buy ticket day before seems no problem no BS re ticket payment etc

3. Maneerat visa also soi 13/2 says call mr TAY at 081-374 1787 and he does for 4000 THB..prefer to deal with agent face to face in office for me plus price higher

4.  couple of bars in soi buakhow post sign for visa run at 5 am....4100 thb with a tel number to call or apparently bar will sell you a ticket...no thanks

so after all that i will try the one from Champions as they seem to have their act together as an agent and a real office with people that answer your questions etc...will report back after i do it..

anyone have any other agents info etc is welcome...

again do not want to go to Cambodia or Laos or Malaysia or Vietnam etc etc...

Thanks for the update. Please report back after the trip, as I need to do one late december as well. Bless! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pomchop said:

ok just to update anyone interested in pattaya cambodia visa run I found out this:

1.The companies who have FB and websites are really tough to get to respond.  Pattayavisarun.com wants me to transfer $$ via kasikorn bank and apparently has no office or ticket agent in pattaya...they seem to be cheapest at 3100 THB but i am not thrilled re kasikorn and company that is tough to get in touch with etc.

2.  i went to soi 13/2 today...there is a travel agent called Champions that says 3500 THB leaves everyday at 5 /6 am...buy ticket day before seems no problem no BS re ticket payment etc

3. Maneerat visa also soi 13/2 says call mr TAY at 081-374 1787 and he does for 4000 THB..prefer to deal with agent face to face in office for me plus price higher

4.  couple of bars in soi buakhow post sign for visa run at 5 am....4100 thb with a tel number to call or apparently bar will sell you a ticket...no thanks

so after all that i will try the one from Champions as they seem to have their act together as an agent and a real office with people that answer your questions etc...will report back after i do it..

anyone have any other agents info etc is welcome...

again do not want to go to Cambodia or Laos or Malaysia or Vietnam etc etc...

1) is definitely a no go, 2) yes best bet, 3) good that Maneerat sometimes give out that contact info, probably can trust their recommendation.

With Champions probably worth checking it's an all inclusive price? I've read posts about them wanting 2k at the border

Edited by scubascuba3

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes. Done it myself. Back in the good old days when I got 90 days visa exempt.

The train journey was a scenic delight.

But jeez it is slow. I lost interest after 3-4 hours. I had a multi non-Imm-O, so also did trips out. Off to Singapore, Bali, Penang, PP etc......

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

1) is definitely a no go, 2) yes best bet, 3) good that Maneerat sometimes give out that contact info, probably can trust their recommendation.

With Champions probably worth checking it's an all inclusive price? I've read posts about them wanting 2k at the border

thanks....i asked the champions gal and she said all inclusive but i will ask again when i buy the ticket...i am also hoping to be among first for pick up to get better seat...she said vans start in jomtiem then come to south pattaya....but it is possible that there will be several vans so hard to predict re how many board jomtiem and how many pattaya...i may go to jomtiem to get on among first or just roll the dice and get picked up in south pattaya as not sure if bolt or baht bus is gonna go jomtiem at 5 am....it is a long day anyway u slice it...

14 minutes ago, pomchop said:

thanks....i asked the champions gal and she said all inclusive but i will ask again when i buy the ticket...i am also hoping to be among first for pick up to get better seat...she said vans start in jomtiem then come to south pattaya....but it is possible that there will be several vans so hard to predict re how many board jomtiem and how many pattaya...i may go to jomtiem to get on among first or just roll the dice and get picked up in south pattaya as not sure if bolt or baht bus is gonna go jomtiem at 5 am....it is a long day anyway u slice it...

Yeah at the end of long border run day i feel i deserve a medal or a round of applause would do

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pomchop said:

as has been said a zillion times there has to be a better way....i often thought why not just charge farangs $1 a day for visa...stay 30 days 30 bucks...stay a year $365.....report in once a year and as long as no police type problems pay and stay...of course that would mean a ton of govt employees would no longer be needed at immigration offices and a lot of companies that run visa run services would be out of biz....but oh how wonderful it would be for the vast majority of people who just want to stay in thailand without jumping through hoops and having to waste time and energy riding all day to cambodia in a crowded van spending $100++ to be permitted another 30-45 days.

I agree it's ridiculous, thai logic alive and well

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

as has been said a zillion times there has to be a better way....i often thought why not just charge farangs $1 a day for visa...stay 30 days 30 bucks...stay a year $365.....report in once a year and as long as no police type problems pay and stay...of course that would mean a ton of govt employees would no longer be needed at immigration offices and a lot of companies that run visa run services would be out of biz....but oh how wonderful it would be for the vast majority of people who just want to stay in thailand without jumping through hoops and having to waste time and energy riding all day to cambodia in a crowded van spending $100++ to be permitted another 30-45 days.

Once your over 50 the visa situation is much better.....

I was getting 2 tourist visas with one border run in the old days...Which was not to shabby...

Edited by redwood1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But jeez it is slow. I lost interest after 3-4 hours. I had a multi non-Imm-O, so also did trips out. Off to Singapore, Bali, Penang, PP etc......

I used second class sleeper and slept most of the trip. Speed wasn't a priority, and scenery was. No matter how many train trips south I made I always enjoyed them.

I really loved traveling by train in LOS. All part of the rich tapestry of Thai life.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 hours ago, pomchop said:

but oh how wonderful it would be for the vast majority of people who just want to stay in thailand without jumping through hoops and having to waste time and energy riding all day to cambodia in a crowded van spending $100++ to be permitted another 30-45 days.

Have you considered that they WANT you to have to jump through hoops if you don't qualify for a non O?

Once upon a time they wanted us to stay in LOS, but no longer, IMO.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you considered that they WANT you to have to jump through hoops if you don't qualify for a non O?

Once upon a time they wanted us to stay in LOS, but no longer, IMO.

Since when have any long-term immigrants been "wanted" in any country. Thailand is easier than most to stay in if you meet one of the many visa criteria and has good options for genuine tourists.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Since when have any long-term immigrants been "wanted" in any country. Thailand is easier than most to stay in if you meet one of the many visa criteria and has good options for genuine tourists.

It's not bad for those that are actual long stay. Problem is for those that don't have extendable visa and have to leave to renew a visa.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:43 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Thailand is easier than most to stay in if you meet one of the many visa criteria and has good options for genuine tourists.

I'm interested in what advice you would give to a self funded foreigner who is under 50 years of age for living in Thailand, other than Elite Visa? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I'm interested in what advice you would give to a self funded foreigner who is under 50 years of age for living in Thailand, other than Elite Visa? 

The issue is how are you self funded.  If its being a digital nomad with contracts outside of the country then you might qualify for a Smart Visa, or a LTR Visa if you can meet the requirements as a working from Thailand professional.

https://ltr.boi.go.th/

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue is how are you self funded.  If its being a digital nomad with contracts outside of the country then you might qualify for a Smart Visa, or a LTR Visa if you can meet the requirements as a working from Thailand professional.

https://ltr.boi.go.th/

Who said anything about working?

I will clarify, how does a wealthy individual, who is self funded, with an income stream, and does not have to work, live in Thailand, if under 50 years of age? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Who said anything about working?

I will clarify, how does a wealthy individual, who is self funded, with an income stream, and does not have to work, live in Thailand, if under 50 years of age? 

if your wealthy and under 50 you buy the Thai elite visa, and then once you turn 50 you then get yourself an O Visa and then an extension or if you qualify get a 10 year LTR visa based upon being a wealthy global citizen.  You really have a hard time finding the best ways to stay in Thailand without playing the education Visa or Fight Visa game....easy to stay here and no it is not because one pays an agent to make it legal, you pay an agent to assist you.  So many ways....yet you just want to fight it....stop being stubborn. Did you even look at the link I posted for you?

image.png.44ecce6bdd35f5de7f1371f1a79b48e0.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

if your wealthy and under 50 you buy the Thai elite visa,

Did you read my post? 

Here it is for you, again.

"I'm interested in what advice you would give to a self funded foreigner who is under 50 years of age for living in Thailand, other than Elite Visa?"

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really have a hard time finding the best ways to stay in Thailand without playing the education Visa or Fight Visa game....easy to stay here and no it is not because one pays an agent to make it legal, you pay an agent to assist you.  So many ways....yet you just want to fight it....stop being stubborn.

Huh?

I'm over 50 years of age and have a retirement visa. 

I use an agent because I refuse to move 800,000 baht into a 3rd World Country that's under a military dictatorship, and that 800,000 baht is earning more than the cost of the agent back in my home country. 

40 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You ask a question and get good advice and then respond back with this rant

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I'm over 50 years of age and have a retirement visa. 

I use an agent because I refuse to move 800,000 baht into a 3rd World Country that's under a military dictatorship, and that 800,000 baht is earning more than the cost of the agent back in my home country. 

So you're just trolling this thread then (as per most threads you post in)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So you're just trolling this thread then

No.  Another member said, "Thailand is easier than most to stay in if you meet one of the many visa criteria." 

I just asked for his advice to those under 50 years of age who wish to reside in Thailand, Elite Visa aside. 

2 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

There is no good way for someone under 50 to stay in Thailand long term except to get the Elite visa or get married or possibly get a work visa...

In the old days you could milk tourist visas for years on end.......Now it would be almost impossible to do that...

All advice already given to a poster who is trolling the OP and ignoring what advice he/she/it/they have been given.

• Thanks 1