First time Applicant for Retirement Visa

30 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Is Insurance a requirement for applying for the 1 year retirement visa 800k baht while in Thailand. Thai Embassy in Canberra Oz is requiring insurance. I did a preliminary check with one of the recommended insurance companies but haven't been able to get good communication from them.

The requirement is any extension for retirement using O-A visa.  There is no such requirement using O visa.  You probably want to arrive on a normal tourist visa entry, change to non immigrant O at immigration after money in bank here and then extend yearly at immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Isn't retirement based on age visa  "OA" How could I get an "O"? What are requirements for that? I'm not married.

A non O-A is a visa valid for one year and you obtain that in Oz.

You dont want that as it has onerous insurance requirement. 

The non O retirement is a visa valid for 90 days and in the last 30 days of that permit (most) you apply for a 12 month extension.

That has financial requirements.

Also both options require that you are 50 yr +

Outline your future plans.

If it's to live in Thailand then imo good option is to enter visa exempt and obtain your non O retirement in Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, TimeMachine said:

Isn't retirement based on age visa  "OA" How could I get an "O"? What are requirements for that? I'm not married.

The visa is O - the "A" means pre approved by a Thai diplomatic mission.  Any entry using that O-A visa will require insurance and any extension later will require.

O visa is seldom issued these days by diplomatic missions for retirement as they prefer the O-A.  But immigration can change a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to O visa entry with a form/2,000 baht and proof of meeting age/financials.  Once that entry is obtained one year extensions can be made.  There is no requirement for special insurance using this method.

9 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

How could I get an "O"? What are requirements for that? I'm not married.

You can apply for non O retirement in Thailand from a tourist visa entry or visa exempt entry. 

You require 800k baht in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

That gives a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days of permit, with money having been in the bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension.

That plan is for retirement ongoing living in Thailand.

Is that your intention. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You can apply for non O retirement in Thailand from a tourist visa entry or visa exempt entry. 

You require 800k baht in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

That gives a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days of permit, with money having been in the bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension.

That plan is for retirement ongoing living in Thailand.

Is that your intention. 

My plans are not set in concrete but would really like 1 year hassle free stay to deal with some issues such as medical advice and condo repair after termites damage. Been kept out for three years and they decided to move in. Haha. It's not a black and white answer I can give regarding retirement plans as other personal things involved.  

5 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

My plans are not set in concrete but would really like 1 year hassle free stay to deal with some issues such as medical advice and condo repair after termites damage. Been kept out for three years and they decided to move in. Haha. It's not a black and white answer I can give regarding retirement plans as other personal things involved.  

In that case to avoid financials etc a METV plus land border entries is also an option. 

Dont mention termites .

One of the rentals with brand new kitchen ruined in 8 months. 

Screenshot_20221229-183728~2.jpg

Screenshot_20221229-183736~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

In that case to avoid financials etc a METV plus land border entries is also an option. 

Thanks. I've asked a question in another thread if any Aussies have been able to get METV. The Canberra Embassy doesn't say anything about it even though the downloadable visa form still has the check box for METV. Precovid it was clearly listed as an option. I'll call them next week to find out.

1 minute ago, TimeMachine said:

. Precovid it was clearly listed as an option. I'll call them next week to find out.

METV was not available for many countries (if not all) after covid hit.

Thinking good idea to check with Thai embassy in Canberra or Sydney. 

METV up and running now however can't recall recent report from any Oz folk.