First time Applicant for Retirement Visa

Hello Folks

Am a retiree (60 yrs old) from US visiting friends in Bangkok on 45 days Tourist stamp expiring Dec 19.  Looking to extend stay with a 30 day extension till Jan 19, 2023 and applying for a Retirement Visa in the process.

I found the documents needed for the application on a different thread (listed below), but was wondering if the requirement of the 800+K Baht deposit in a local  bank account for at least 60 days is also mandatory for first time applicants since I won't have enough time to  accomplish that during this time period (now to Jan 19, 2023)

If it is, then would I have to leave the country before Jan 19, 2023 and come back again after the  60 days period of bank deposit is completed (some time in Feb 2023), on another 45 day tourist permit and apply for the Retirement Visa then?

Any advice on this situation will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rovering

P.S - Here's the list from the other thread, am assuming it's the same in my case too

Signed copies of

* Passport main page bio data

* Last entry stamp

* TM 6 if any

* Bankbook showing required money with required history 

* Tabien baan or rental contract with signed ID copy of landlord or DBD if purchase via a company 

* They can ask for TM 30 copy

*. Hand made drawing of your home location( depends on IO)

Need to have original doc*

* Filled TM 86 form

* Bankbook 

* Passport 

* Letter from the bank stating your account balance day of Io visit

* Photos 4x6

And a little contribution of 1900 thb for the Immigration good Samaritan foundation 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Rovering said:

Looking to extend stay with a 30 day extension till Jan 19, 2023 and applying for a Retirement Visa in the process.

You would be applying for a non O visa based on retirement.

For that visa you only require 800k in bank on the day you apply. 

That 90 day stamp gives you time to meet the requirements for 12 month extension.

It's NOT a retirement visa (no such thing)

You will not need 30 day extension.

I assume you have a Thai bank account.

If not use agent to open one and transfer 800k asap.

Popular option for that is WISE (formally TransferWise)

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You would be applying for a non O visa based on retirement.

For that visa you only require 800k in bank on the day you apply. 

That 90 day stamp gives you time to meet the requirements for 12 month extension.

It's NOT a retirement visa (no such thing)

You will not need 30 day extension.

His present extension expires on the 19th of December so he will need to get that thirty day extension, must have at least 15 days left on the extension to apply for an O, so anytime in the first fifteen days after you get that extension you can apply for an O visa as long as you have 800.000 in the bank and it has to show that it was a foreign transaction

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

You will be using a TM87 form for the application and the fee is 2000 baht.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Most of what you posted is for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement near the end of the 90 days stay you will get from the non-o visa.

On another thread there was a slight disagreement whether the 800k needs to come from abroad for the initial non imm O visa?

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

On another thread there was a slight disagreement whether the 800k needs to come from abroad for the initial non imm O visa?

For the initial O it has to come from abroad, after that not

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What that the one where Jomtien office wanted the funds seasoned for two months? It was the son doing it on behalf of his dear old mum, and Wise transfers were involved.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, flexomike said:

His present extension expires on the 19th of December so he will need to get that thirty day extension, must have at least 15 days left on the extension to apply for an O, so anytime in the first fifteen days after you get that extension you can apply for an O visa as long as you have 800.000 in the bank and it has to show that it was a foreign transaction

Correct..

Clearly he didn't show much forward planning.

45 days visa exempt entry and now thinks about non O retirement. 

• Like 1

Yes, you'll are right, lost a couple of weeks... between finding a apartment and procrastination

A question though, if the 800K is supposed to come from abroad, is Wise acceptable? I thought it shows up in the statement as  a local deposit, there's only an email sent to the receiver.

Any protocol on this that needs to be followed?

Thank you

28 minutes ago, novacova said:

The OP’s question is completely valid, and clearly answered on the second post. .He’ll be here through January 19, plenty of time to transfer 800k and get the visa.

What am I missing here?

The op obtained a 30 day extension which allowed stay till Jan 19.

Why did he require extension? Given current visa exempt provided 45 day stamp. 

visa exempt entry would have been plenty of time to obtain a non O.

Yes requires 15 days remaining on permission of stay and some offices (CM 21 days) .

Poor planning 

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, novacova said:

The OP’s question is completely valid, and clearly answered on the second post. .He’ll be here through January 19, plenty of time to transfer 800k and get the visa.

What am I missing here?

his permission to stay will expire on December 19th so he will need to get an extension to allow him time to apply for the O, he will have plenty of time after that to take care of the money transfer

Edited by flexomike
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes requires 15 days remaining on permission of stay and some offices (CM 21 days) .

Poor planning 

he hasn't gotten the extension yet, was looking to get an extension to stay until January 19

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rovering said:

Yes, you'll are right, lost a couple of weeks... between finding a apartment and procrastination

A question though, if the 800K is supposed to come from abroad, is Wise acceptable? I thought it shows up in the statement as  a local deposit, there's only an email sent to the receiver.

Any protocol on this that needs to be followed?

Thank you

I am also curious to know if Wise is possible.

18 minutes ago, lyskamm said:

I am also curious to know if Wise is possible.

If transferring using Wise, select reason Long Term at the bottom of the drop-down menu. Then the transfer will be documented as an international transfer in your Thai bank account.

Edited by novacova

If deposit using Wise is marked as a local transfer download the PDF from Wise, which will provide the path used, and go to Thai bank listed to obtain paperwork showing it came from overseas (there is a name for it but forget what it is).  Just the PDF from Wise (along with bank book/statement) might be accepted but best to get the extra proof from the Wise paying bank.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No need to involve an agent to open a bank account. Do it yourself and be sure it is in your name only.

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Poor planning 

Looks like he’s planning well in advance.

English not first language? Dyslexic? 

10 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

No need to involve an agent to open a bank account. Do it yourself and be sure it is in your name only.

Clearly you have no idea of requirements to open a Thai bank account with visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Especially in places such as Bangkok. 

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly you have no idea of requirements to open a Thai bank account with visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Especially in places such as Bangkok. 

I opened my account with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai over 10 years ago and all I showed was my passport and Thai DL, nothing else and I did it alone where my spoken Thai at that time was very limited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I opened my account with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai over 10 years ago and all I showed was my passport and Thai DL, nothing else and I did it alone where my spoken Thai at that time was very limited.

Couple of points in your post. 

"10 years ago..."

Also "CM".

Your information is well past use by date.

Post current experience. .

For example Bangkok and others require a residence certificate.

etc etc.

Thinking the new money laundering laws played a part. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Couple of points in your post. 

"10 years ago..."

Also "CM".

Your information is well past use by date.

Post current experience. .

For example Bangkok and others require a residence certificate.

etc etc.

Thinking the new money laundering laws played a part. 

You are correct with everything you stated, but let me ask, when was the last time you opened a bank account in BKK at Bangkok Bank?

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

You are correct with everything you stated, but let me ask, when was the last time you opened a bank account in BKK at Bangkok Bank?

First up I live Bangkok and have assisted (or tried to) to open bank account for various people. 

In Bangkok the banks required a residence certificate.

Here comes the catch 22.

Bangkok immigration will only supply a residence certificate if you have done a 90 day report..

Clearly not possible if on a visa exempt or tourist entry. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But they will also accept a proof of address from a embassy if they will do them.

Australian embassy for one does not provide that 

Also the Thai bank account in many threads is connected to pathway to a non O retirement and time is if the essence. 

Some embassies will require appointment.

Also charge fee (not small)

Agent approx 3500b short turn around

Edited by DrJack54