First time Applicant for Retirement Visa

17 hours ago, novacova said:

If transferring using Wise, select reason Long Term at the bottom of the drop-down menu. Then the transfer will be documented as an international transfer in your Thai bank account.

Great, thanks for the information!

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If deposit using Wise is marked as a local transfer download the PDF from Wise, which will provide the path used, and go to Thai bank listed to obtain paperwork showing it came from overseas (there is a name for it but forget what it is).  Just the PDF from Wise (along with bank book/statement) might be accepted but best to get the extra proof from the Wise paying bank.

Thanks so much to Lopburi!!

9 hours ago, lyskamm said:

Great, thanks for the information!

AFAIK that option is only available for Bangkok Bank customers and Wise cannot guarantee that the funds will be marked as "FTT" meaning international transfer.

There are quite a few threads on here about the Wise software failing in this regard. So something to be mindful of. 

Wise's local banking partner is Kasikornbank and apparently there are no such issues if you have a K-Bank account.

Just wanted to update the 30 day extension worked as was mentioned in the thread, here's details in case it's helpful

1) Made an appointment on line for 10am,  a week before 45 day expiry date

2) Downloaded and filled TM7 at home previous day with photo

3) Also made copies of main PP page, tourist stamp page showing date valid to, and copy of webpage showing confirmation of appointment date/time.

4) Went to the IT Square office 30 minutes before appointment, at the desk they checked document and gave two forms to fill, name and signature, and told to go sit outside the Immigration Officials room

5) Few minutes before 10AM staff person  came out and called out " Online appointments", went up to her she checked online appointment document and lets me in the room

6) Waited a couple of minutes for IO and then went up to her, she checked doc, took picture and paid her the 1900 Baht fee, was given a token number, was told to go back to outside seating area and wait.

7) 5-10 minutes later IO comes out with some passports called out token numbers, handed her my token and collected the passport with 30-day extension stamp

Was heading back home by 10:30 am, quite efficient I would say.

• Thanks 1

So as I understand, the next step is to obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa which will be valid for 3 months and then extend it by a year based on retirement?

I have a couple of queries regarding this and would appreciate any information on this

1) Will there be a issue with going out of the country before the current 30 day tourist stamp extension expires and returning back on another 45-day visa exempt stamp and starting the process to obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa

2) If you obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa valid for 3 months will the 1 year extension on retirement process get affected if you have to travel out of the country during the 3 months?

Thanks

On 12/5/2022 at 3:09 AM, dingdongrb said:

I opened my account with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai over 10 years ago and all I showed was my passport and Thai DL, nothing else and I did it alone where my spoken Thai at that time was very limited.

What worked 10 years ago has no meaning. Can people stop posting their BS experience. Unless it is recent, it has not value. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovering said:

So as I understand, the next step is to obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa which will be valid for 3 months and then extend it by a year based on retirement?

I have a couple of queries regarding this and would appreciate any information on this

1) Will there be a issue with going out of the country before the current 30 day tourist stamp extension expires and returning back on another 45-day visa exempt stamp and starting the process to obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa

2) If you obtain the Non-Immigrant O visa valid for 3 months will the 1 year extension on retirement process get affected if you have to travel out of the country during the 3 months?

Thanks

will not as long as your visa doesn't expire while you are gone, make sure you get a reentry permit or you will have to start all over again

On 12/4/2022 at 4:54 PM, Rovering said:

Thank you all for the quick responses!

Glad to hear I don't have to leave and come back and Wise is acceptable as a xfer mechanism from US, makes it less complicated

Much Obliged!

Make sure you get the "credit advice" for proof that the money came from abroad. I used Wise and the transfer showed up as FTT in my passbook, but Bangkok immigration office said the FTT is not enough (also Wise PDF was not accepted) and I need to bring the credit advice for the foreign money transfer.

15 minutes ago, al valio said:

Make sure you get the "credit advice" for proof that the money came from abroad. I used Wise and the transfer showed up as FTT in my passbook, but Bangkok immigration office said the FTT is not enough (also Wise PDF was not accepted) and I need to bring the credit advice for the foreign money transfer.

That has not been my experience in Bangkok over the last two years - a year bank statement showing monthly FTT transfers at 65k or more and bank passbook/copies along with letter of account ownership has been the requirement.  This is for deposits to Bangkok Bank.  Only if a deposit was not listed as FTT would additional paperwork be required.

That's also what I read before, that listing as FTT is enough (my account is at Bangkok Bank).

But when I went to apply for the Non-Imm O (first time application, 800k in bank) at Bangkok Immigration 10 days ago they told me I need to bring the "credit advice". It was easy to get it from Bangkok Bank (but not all employees/branches can do the printout), just be prepared.

4 minutes ago, al valio said:

That's also what I read before, that listing as FTT is enough (my account is at Bangkok Bank).

But when I went to apply for the Non-Imm O (first time application, 800k in bank) at Bangkok Immigration 10 days ago they told me I need to bring the "credit advice". It was easy to get it from Bangkok Bank (but not all employees/branches can do the printout), just be prepared.

Are you sure you are not talking about a one year bank statement - which must come from Hqs Bangkok Bank?  That is the proof positive, with the passbook as secondary if Embassy does not provide statement of income.

Edit:  on second read see you are not talking 65k income but bank first time bank deposit - yes indeed proof of foreign origin is required for that so FTT might well not be enough by itself.  Sorry for misread.

Edited by lopburi3

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you sure you are not talking about a one year bank statement - which must come from Hqs Bangkok Bank?  That is the proof positive, with the passbook as secondary if Embassy does not provide statement of income.

Nope, I can't even have a one year bank statement since I only opened the account a few weeks ago.

This is for a new application for conversion from visa exempt entry to non-Imm O (using the 800k in bank method.

3 minutes ago, al valio said:

Nope, I can't even have a one year bank statement since I only opened the account a few weeks ago.

This is for a new application for conversion from visa exempt entry to non-Imm O (using the 800k in bank method.

Noted that after sending and revised post - sorry for my misunderstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to be rude here because just when I think I got things together, I read one of these posts, and it blows my mind. No one, and I mean no one, has a clue about any of this. 
There is not one forum anywhere on the Internet where anyone agrees with what is needed or how and where it is presented: Nowhere! No one knows what they're talking about because they can't know!!!
Every country, airline, and embassy. Every district immigration office within the 70 provinces, even the immigration "officer." The bank, its location, and the bank employee you come face to face with….. nowhere is it done the same way…
Case in point

1)    I was nearly turned down for a tourist visa because I could only produce 5 out of 6 concurrent bank statements that showed over 7k. It was a mistake; I had 6, and the visa was issued.
2)    I nearly had a problem with ANA because I had a return ticket for 88 days out on a 60 visa. They had to call a manager who understood the 30 days extension policy.
3)    Finally, I went to Bangkok bank in CM with my tourist visa. My passport, driver's license, the address where I was staying (they didn't ask for proof), and my social security card!! Has anyone heard of that one? Anyway, 45 minutes later, walking out with an account.

Go figure! "You can't" because consistency DOES NOT EXIST.       Really not trying to be a**

• Haha 2

Not sure if "So, including number 3, you really had no problem, just minor inconvenience" was a observation or you missed the whole point...  yep I sailed right through!

No one person's experience seems to be the same.

Never read that a social security card was asked for! Probably because no one has; have you? - but it was a condition of me getting an account based on? Probably that particular employee "felt" the need

I have never seen anyone mention having 7k in your bank for 6 months... again, a different person at a different embassy: have you?

It didn't bother me that I nearly made it here; there is no rhyme or reason to any of it, so it can't be figured out! It's like playing 10-pin bowling with no pins!

18 minutes ago, Jonpail said:

there is no rhyme or reason to any of it, so it can't be figured out! It's like playing 10-pin bowling with no pins!

And yet for most of us there are no issues other than minor inconveniences, like yours. If you haven't figured out that the rules here can be flexible but easily navigated and get so frustrated, this may not be the country for you. 

On 12/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, novacova said:

If transferring using Wise, select reason Long Term at the bottom of the drop-down menu. Then the transfer will be documented as an international transfer in your Thai bank account.

Anyone else noticed that TransferWise UK > Thailand now takes till next working day?

A few weeks back it was 7 seconds!

Anything to do with UK change to Winter time? 

I dont know if this is the right place for this question but does anyone know how a Visa agent can open a bank account on your behalf and without even needing you to deposit the required800K/400K? I am asking if anyone really knows how the do it, not its just a scam etc.

1 hour ago, Hugh Cow said:

I dont know if this is the right place for this question but does anyone know how a Visa agent can open a bank account on your behalf and without even needing you to deposit the required800K/400K? I am asking if anyone really knows how the do it, not its just a scam etc.

They deposit the money long enough to get the bank letter.

They then bribe the immigration officer to forget about the 2 month seasoning.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

You are joining two separate processes. 

The agent can open a bank account on your behalf if you do not have one.

Then the agent can obtain the non O and subsequent extension without you providing the financials. 

It's tit for tat debate about the legality of obtaining the non O and extension.

Bottom line is that it's done by many over many years.

If you use an agent make sure that you use a well know one.

8 hours ago, mikebike said:

And yet for most of us there are no issues other than minor inconveniences, like yours. If you haven't figured out that the rules here can be flexible but easily navigated and get so frustrated, this may not be the country for you. 

I read responses like this and am honestly nauseated by them. The holly-than-thou crowd with the "maybe this isn't for you." The questions come from newbies who are confused by the system or lack thereof. Confused mostly by veterans like you who live in their bubbles and think they have everything figured out. Your like my father 50 years ago, when he was trying to teach me how to drive and getting <deleted> because I struggled to parallel park on my first try, or the 50-year-old dry drunk who didn't understand why the guy with 30 days could not go to to the pub and drink coke... if you read all the different forums, you will see that it isn't a walk in the park for most people the first time round... Just last night, I read from the "visa guru" website; immigration prefers you to apply for an O-A visa in your own country if you already have a tourist visa! Amazing. I suggest having a beer while we newbies, figure out how not to drink today!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jonpail said:

I read responses like this and am honestly nauseated by them. The holly-than-thou crowd with the "maybe this isn't for you." The questions come from newbies who are confused by the system or lack thereof. Confused mostly by veterans like you who live in their bubbles and think they have everything figured out. Your like my father 50 years ago, when he was trying to teach me how to drive and getting <deleted> because I struggled to parallel park on my first try, or the 50-year-old dry drunk who didn't understand why the guy with 30 days could not go to to the pub and drink coke... if you read all the different forums, you will see that it isn't a walk in the park for most people the first time round... Just last night, I read from the "visa guru" website; immigration prefers you to apply for an O-A visa in your own country if you already have a tourist visa! Amazing. I suggest having a beer while we newbies, figure out how not to drink today!

Yep, this definitely ain't the country for ya bubba.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

They deposit the money long enough to get the bank letter.

They then bribe the immigration officer to forget about the 2 month seasoning.

they dont pre see  " bribe"
all extensions are issued, "at the discretion of the head immigration official"  at that immigration office 

In India is called Baksheesh   ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 1:06 PM, DrJack54 said:

You are joining two separate processes. 

The agent can open a bank account on your behalf if you do not have one.

Then the agent can obtain the non O and subsequent extension without you providing the financials. 

It's tit for tat debate about the legality of obtaining the non O and extension.

Bottom line is that it's done by many over many years.

If you use an agent make sure that you use a well know one.

Has anyone heard of Baan Thai immigration solutions in Bangkok?

10 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

Has anyone heard of Baan Thai immigration solutions in Bangkok?

I have not however I note that they have a physical office and staff and reviews.

Non O retirement and subsequent extension is a simple process for agent and also can be done by yourself if funds in the bank. 

You could also chat with ThaiVisaCentre 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, DrJack54 said:

I have not however I note that they have a physical office and staff and reviews.

Non O retirement and subsequent extension is a simple process for agent and also can be done by yourself if funds in the bank. 

You could also chat with ThaiVisaCentre 

Thanks i sent them a message.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Insurance a requirement for applying for the 1 year retirement visa 800k baht while in Thailand. Thai Embassy in Canberra Oz is requiring insurance. I did a preliminary check with one of the recommended insurance companies but haven't been able to get good communication from them.