Burglars steal property worth three million baht from Danish man and his Thai wife’s three houses in Koh Samui

webfact

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Houses are for the most part, a liability. People get confused and like to think of them as an asset. Unless you're renting out, they just cost you. And as for starting up a property management company? Yeah, an early grave is waiting for you.

I really wouldn't expect this sort of thing to happen on a luxury resort island.

My (her) moobaan house, in fact the entire moobaan of 250 houses, outside Chiang Mai has zero theft problems since it was built 10 years back. We don't even lock the doors or shut the windows unless it looks like rain.

Odd that the neighbours didn't report the guy on the m/c coming and going, my neighbours would be all over it.

The entire incident seems most unusual for Thailand IMHO. 

Edited by BritManToo

8 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"Two male burglars on a motorbike were seen coming back and forth from the houses and taking many possessions away, said the victim’s relative and witness Ms. Montha Sukkong."..... many thanks to the relative/witness for trying to either intervene or call the police.

With all the additional damage (punctured ceilings and walls) it looks like this might have been "personal" and not just a robbery. Why in the ???? would you leave three houses unattended when you were out of the country? They should have had someone watch them. On the other hand there was a relative living close enough to see everything being carted off so...... 

Wouldn't doubt it if the relative was involved.

Or an insurance scam. Relatives empty the houses, trash them to make it look good. Insurance pays out wait a few months, Houses repaired and refurnished with original furniture and fittings.

• Thanks 1

This is not a stereotypical comment, as I've heard it in multiple Asian countries. I am not asserting all Asians assert this, but many I have heard do. "You farang, you rich", "you bule, you rich", "you foreigner, you rich".

The other thing is that you just can't leave properties unattended irrespective of where you live in the world. If you've got reliable trustworthy neighbours who you have good relationships with then that is another thing, and even then the criminals can try and get in through the roof if it's tiled. There's no way I could leave a property unattended for 5 months and think that I am going to come back to it without anything being disturbed/stolen in the world we live in, but I suppose it depends on the relevant country and what sort of area the house is situated in to some degree.

Edited by Sid Bream
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Or an insurance scam. Relatives empty the houses, trash them to make it look good. Insurance pays out wait a few months, Houses repaired and refurnished with original furniture and fittings.

Could be, but it's a pretty obvious scam. Broad daylight, seen carting truck loads of stuff away, nobody says a word?

3 minutes ago, Sid Bream said:

This is not a stereotypical comment, as I've heard it in multiple Asian countries. I am not asserting all Asians assert this, but many I have heard do. "You farang, you rich", "you bule, you rich", "you foreigner, you rich".

We are rich compare to the poor asians, but compare to the upper middle class in Asia and Thailand, my best guess we are not that rich. The rich Asians is way out there, and not comparable at all. 

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I prefer my condo life, a view and zero noisy and nosy neighbors. Can leave  my place for months and nothing ever happens. When I want to go to the beach anytime I just do. 

I prefer house life but it is only safe if you are there all the time. If you leave a house even for just a short time, the thieves will be in unless you have armed guards and the friends and relatives are the first suspects.

In a condo, get one high enough up so Somchai cannot get a ladder up to it and over 7 floors keeps the mosquitoes away as well. Good locks on any balconies and preferably internal grills that simply cannot be gotten through without heavy cutting equipment. Front door is high security steel in a steel frame with a secondary security grill.

But year, if I was living there full time, a house and my own pool would be the right way to enjoy life.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vangrop said:

Company constructions still rely on Thais and are not waterproof. And the good wives... are you a podhead? Since you seems so naive beware not to be the next on the list

Thats not nice to call someone? Naive, no I do not think so, but I know the real problem is when I see and hear someone complaining about the ladies they have experience with. Or why they turned out bad! There is no one way road to toxic relationships, and most seems to forget that.

And the truth is, most people have heard more bad stories then they experienced themselves, and have no idea what really went on in that relationship that lead to the problems. The good relationships,  you really never hear about, because saying there is alot of good girls in Thailand is tabu, and left to replies you just served me. No need for me to trying to convince you, so have a good day sir

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dave moir said:

I would love to have seen the 2 burglars on motorcycles carrying sofas!????????????????

Yonks ago in Leicester I saw 2 Indian gentlemen carrying a sofa on 2 bicycles, one cycling behind the other!!

3 minutes ago, vangrop said:

Simple question; why does the guy needs 3 houses in the same area

We have one house and one bungalow, and we might add one later on. Convinient when we have visitors, or have homestay for travellers sometimes when we feel we have time.

My wife has warned me against moving us to homes that are not in gated or secured communities for this reason.  Sucks to be this dude. I would definitely have apprehensions though about leaving my home(s) vacant for more than a night or two in this place.  Even hiring security is still a roll of the dice if your possessions are worth more than their meager salaries.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Openly "in your face" wealthy when so many are poor is never a good idea. The destruction indicates an element of hatred over and above merely wanting to steal.

3 houses left empty! How about renting a couple,which would mean someone to keep an eye on the third? OR not sacking/ letting go the maid to save a few baht- it's not like he couldn't afford her.

Burglars were seen- but not stopped, apparently, hmmmm. Wonder why?

Yes let's blame it on the fact he has 3 houses, what the hell do you know man? Maybe his retirement is in the 2 other houses that he used to earn rental on before covid. If that is your actual argument, you might have to look at 20 families owning 70% ?

Poor people never use their brains, no matter where they from. Foreigners even more than Thais. Just say whatever, without thinking.

If he had said, I had one house robbed and lost 1M baht, you said nothing.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d4dang said:

The guy has lots of time to clean up, refurbish and repair his houses so they will be ready for his next trip during which the thieves will return.

There is a lot of truth in this in the UK thieves always come back a second time,once the insurance company has replaced all of the stolen items with nice,shiny,brand new ones!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Who knows that the cops weren't paid off also? Happens, you know. In the end, you're on your own with what you own. Island mafiosi.

Koh Samui has long had a reputation for this and it’s also in Surat Thani province same as the famous Death Island/Koh Tao,a truly rotten and corrupt place?

I wouldn’t invest in a banana there never mind a property portfolio,not for all the tea in China!

43 minutes ago, stigar said:

After i lost my house in surin to my exwife i only rent apartment. I dont build or buy anything that i have to worry about. Security in apartment building make sure nowone can enter the building without a legal reason. 

Another Farang mansion up in rice farming country every village has one (or two)! ????

• Haha 2

My landlord has hired new gardeners for my house a dozen times. Naturally they all befriend my pitbull over time.  It's basically a matter of time before one of them hits the house and the suspect list will be too long to follow up on.  I keep my precious documents hidden and no real valuables in the house as my defense.  It's never the victims fault but it doesn't hurt to consider nefarious possibilities and limit potential liabilities.

8 hours ago, Foghorn said:

Someone netted the fish in my pond one night ,2 days later the neighbour said she saw someone doing it ,I asked who but she wouldn’t say ,not sure ,scared might be wrong , next day asked if she could use some of my ground to dry her rice , yeah F off , I scared someone will pee on it I said.  You do them favours but it means nothing to them 

Ah!

Foghorn Leghorn.

We need a new voice with problems????????

7 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Are these common items to steal? I never considered the fact someone would unmount and steal air con units. Leather sofas are difficult to steal also and I would think difficult to sell even. All of these trips and transporting would take hours so I thought this was the kind of thing burglars avoided.

It's easy for two men to steal a leather sofa. The difficulty comes with balancing it on the Wave.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

"A Danish man was shocked after finding out that his three houses he owns with his Thai wife on Koh Samui were burgled"

He will be even more shocked when he finds out one day that he doesn't own the houses. ????

Hope he has usufruct title on the deeds. That way he can use the house for the rest of his life. That way if his wife predeceases him he has right of use. He will likely leave the island after this theft and damage. Hope the cops can do a thorough job.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

he had 3 leather couches and 4 air cons across 3 homes, motorbike, TV and probably kitchen appliances. The houses were wooden even. The only questionable thing is why he had 3 houses, otherwise seems pretty normal to me.

He probably has 3 houses to pass on to his wife for her future.

That is why I would rule his wife out.

• Thumbs Up 1