Burglars steal property worth three million baht from Danish man and his Thai wife’s three houses in Koh Samui

webfact

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I seriously think my wife should set up a house sitting business ! Easy money.

I had my thoughts about it, but you never know what kind of people you get involved with, and become a victim blaimed for missing or broken things. Better to stay away from people you do not know, or select your customers carefully. 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I prefer my condo life, a view and zero noisy and nosy neighbors. Can leave  my place for months and nothing ever happens. When I want to go to the beach anytime I just do. 

Agree, If you plan to travel for extensive periods of time owning a condo is a much better option than owning a single detached house. In this case the Dane needed three detached houses to maintain his lifestyle ... Hmmm ... no home security set up .... ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, findlay13 said:

My mate got robbed many years ago in Sattahip.He was away for a couple of weeks and when he returned he found his house burgled.The neighbours who knew he was away said they'd "heard noises" but "didn't do anything"

MY alarm has gone off due to a fault....but no-one ever came to investigate......the neighbors are falang

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

four air conditioners worth 80,000 baht, four leather sofas worth 120,000 baht,

Are these common items to steal? I never considered the fact someone would unmount and steal air con units. Leather sofas are difficult to steal also and I would think difficult to sell even. All of these trips and transporting would take hours so I thought this was the kind of thing burglars avoided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

how was he flaunting his wealth?

are we not allowed to invest?

he had 3 leather couches and 4 air cons across 3 homes, motorbike, TV and probably kitchen appliances. The houses were wooden even. The only questionable thing is why he had 3 houses, otherwise seems pretty normal to me.

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

he had 3 leather couches and 4 air cons across 3 homes, motorbike, TV and probably kitchen appliances. The houses were wooden even. The only questionable thing is why he had 3 houses, otherwise seems pretty normal to me.

I agree.

14 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Are these common items to steal? I never considered the fact someone would unmount and steal air con units. Leather sofas are difficult to steal also and I would think difficult to sell even. All of these trips and transporting would take hours so I thought this was the kind of thing burglars avoided.

It makes you wonder how many people on the island were involved, how long they were planning it for, whether it would have happened to a Thai in similar circumstances, and so on.  They obviously felt they had no need to rush.  More like a leisurely salvage job than a robbery.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was planning to sell what is left and move on after this.  How would you feel walking around town, wondering which of the people around you were involved, or knew what was happening/who was doing it and said nothing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

It makes you wonder how many people on the island were involved, how long they were planning it for, whether it would have happened to a Thai in similar circumstances, and so on.

Isn't Samui full of people who keep holiday homes and wealthy people in general? I've never been to Samui but Phuket was like that. I feel like I don't hear about this kind of thing often in Thailand so it makes me curious.

1 hour ago, riverhigh said:

Agree, If you plan to travel for extensive periods of time owning a condo is a much better option than owning a single detached house. In this case the Dane needed three detached houses to maintain his lifestyle ... Hmmm ... no home security set up .... ????

Fabulous.

Let a condo run your life?

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Isn't Samui full of people who keep holiday homes and wealthy people in general? I've never been to Samui but Phuket was like that. I feel like I don't hear about this kind of thing often in Thailand so it makes me curious.

There is many foreigner houses built in the jungle as stand alone properties, and no Thai I know would ever left their house with no one living there while they are gone. Even with only family around in a village soi, they would not leave their house alone. Another important factor, very few dear to interact if something happens in the neighbourhood after dark, or even call the police out of many reasons. Their mentality is to stay low, and do not interfere. 

When we built a stand alone farm in the farming fields, the family have stayed her every day and every night, and never left it alone, and thats how it is. Everyone is like that around here, and therefor we never hear about any theft in the neighborhood, only stealing fish and fruit. Some live of others fish and fruit around here, and sell at the marked. Everyone knows they selling what they steals, but nobody do anything about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

There is many foreigner houses built in the jungle as stand alone properties, and no Thai I know would ever left their house with no one living there while they are gone. Even with only family around in a village soi, they would not leave their house alone. Another important factor, very few dear to interact if something happens in the neighbourhood after dark, or even call the police out of many reasons. Their mentality is to stay low, and do not interfere. 

Are you saying that theft is actually really common in Thailand given that you leave homes unattended? Thailand seems really safe to me but I've never left a house uninhabited for weeks or months unless it was a rental property.

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Fair enuff but living in a fish-bowl 36 k's in the sky isn't for all.

Story sounds fishy. Wife possibly involved?????????

Never saw a fishbowl 125 Sq meters with a private 15x3 meter outside balcony with great plants, sun chairs , table etc. Top floor corner and amazing views.  Walk to every conceivable restaurant, mall, business, gym etc in 10 minutes or less. 
As a side note. Ever think the HUSBAND could be involved!!?

Edited by alex8912

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Are you saying that theft is actually really common in Thailand given that you leave homes unattended? Thailand seems really safe to me but I've never left a house uninhabited for weeks or months unless it was a rental property.

Many thai people are poor, and no different than any other country if you leave your values or property alone for long enough time in the right areas. In Norway we have more eastern europeen crime after we joined the Schengen Agreement, and they targeting summer and winter cabins, and experts on fuel theft as well construction sites. But I still feel safe, right? It never happened to me. 

can be teenagers who discovered this place left alone, and had a party

Presumably, the valuation is for replacement, not the resale value, as would be normal for insurance purposes. Second hand AC units? Maybe 3k each. A mountain bike? Maybe 3k. Sofas? Possibly 3k each. Kitchen equipment? TVs. Furnishings. White goods? Not much for a burglar, considering the hassle of removing them, offloading them and the risks of getting nabbed. If you tried to sell them on the island? Yeah, great idea. You'd need a truck for each house. But the buildings? If he has buildings insurance, then possibly 1m each for repairs. But he must have had an insurance assessor to arrive at this figure. Why not just burn them down?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Openly "in your face" wealthy when so many are poor is never a good idea. The destruction indicates an element of hatred over and above merely wanting to steal.

3 houses left empty! How about renting a couple,which would mean someone to keep an eye on the third? OR not sacking/ letting go the maid to save a few baht- it's not like he couldn't afford her.

Burglars were seen- but not stopped, apparently, hmmmm. Wonder why?

I would love to have seen the 2 burglars on motorcycles carrying sofas!????????????????

• Haha 1