Plan to knock rabies out in Thailand with an army of 8,600 ‘livestock volunteers’ across the kingdom

webfact

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Though this plan is a step in the right direction, however the flaw within it, is the fact that when bitten, you don't know if the dog has been vaccinated, or not. So, you must get treated at a hospital, anyway. And the cost of treatment is up to 20,000 baht for a series of rabies shots. And that assumes it was a light bite and no other injuries occurred. As opposed to a small child being maimed for life. Many of these soi dogs are insane and true desperado. So, we should prioritize the lives of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population?

The real solution is massive, nationwide culling. These are mangy creatures, leading desperate lives. Show some nerve and compassion and take them out of the misery. Clean up the streets! 

Agree 100%

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

A few years ago the government set up a program called "set zero" and was primarily aimed at dogs.

When local government officials were caught poisoning the dogs instead of vaccinating them their was a public outcry and it was stopped. This came about by one man dying of the disease that he got from a cat. Then we had the government minister caught selling fake rabies vaccines. I am all for a vaccination program and a spay and neuter program but if this is another one disguised as killing dogs I will do everything to expose it. We have dedicated our lives here to help the dogs and cats with over 3 hundred helped and building our own shelter using our own money. In a Buddhist country I expect nothing less than a compassionate solution to this. The problem here was created entirely by humans taking no responsibility for the dogs and cats in their care. 

What many are not aware is that the government did have a free vaccination scheme running pre pandemic, shame it had to come to an end with the pandemic, about 3 years lost. They visited our house a few times and vaccinated all the animals. My wife and her sister also run a voluntary shelter for cats, been going about 8 years now and average about 60 at any one time and usually have 8 to 10 dogs. Just taken in 2 young dogs as the owner was going to put them down as they had started chasing his chickens. As you say all about responsibility, the young dogs do not chase our cats or chickens.

• Love It 1

Rabies is an epidemic here. They shut down the economy for covid. They don't shut down the highways due to traffic deaths, and they don't do anything about the soi dog tragedy and dangers.

Already in 2018, there have been nearly 500 rabies cases reported, which is a significant increase over the 160 reported last year for the same period. The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) estimates that Thailand has 10 million stray dogs, with 1 in 10 dogs in Bangkok suspected to be infected with rabies.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/health-blog/mar-2018/rabies

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Thailand is 60 years behind civilised countries in this respect. Not a week goes by without a story of accidents caused by strays; humans disfigured by bites;

Try reading the UK papers. Not a week goes by without there being a story of humans disfigured by strays.

So I guess that the UK is not civilised. (I do not disagree with that statement.)

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

The solution is obvious to anyone with an IQ of over 80 - a cull of all strays.

Not going to happen in a Buddhist country sunshine. Try again.

2 minutes ago, NatureFilm said:

The only solution is 100% vaccination  AND  the 100 % sterilisation of female dogs, except those whose owners have a strictly supervised breeding licence

You don't solve the street dog problem by killing the dogs. People are irresponsible and when dogs becomes inconvenient, they just let them go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Though this plan is a step in the right direction, however the flaw within it, is the fact that when bitten, you don't know if the dog has been vaccinated, or not. So, you must get treated at a hospital, anyway. And the cost of treatment is up to 20,000 baht for a series of rabies shots. And that assumes it was a light bite and no other injuries occurred. As opposed to a small child being maimed for life. Many of these soi dogs are insane and true desperado. So, we should prioritize the lives of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population?

The real solution is massive, nationwide culling. These are mangy creatures, leading desperate lives. Show some nerve and compassion and take them out of the misery. Clean up the streets! 

Couldn't agree more! The trouble is the Buddhist culture, and the taking of life.

I have heard of a few cases where people have had pets that are old and terminally ill, but the vets refuse to "put them to sleep". Maybe its the Buddhist culture, or possibly/probably because the owners were farangs, and therein lies  the opportunity for making a few more thousand baht! 

And how many times have you heard "not my dog!" when a dog is a nuisance, but if you hit it accidentally with your car/motor bike, suddenly this dog is an ex Crufts Best of Breed Champion? 

Regarding the proposal, this is indeed a step in the right direction, but why has it not been proposed before? How long has rabies been a problem in this (the) country?

And why does the Government not pay for the full cost of protecting its citizens from this dreadful disease? :- 

"with the help of sub-district volunteers." 

Possibly because the main areas of concern are north and East of Bangkok? Where the only time people seem to matter is at voting time? 

10 minutes ago, NatureFilm said:

The only solution is 100% vaccination  AND  the 100 % sterilisation of female dogs, except those whose owners have a strictly supervised breeding licence

And thereby make the cost of obtaining a dog only available to the rich, because you can bet your bottom baht that the licences will become another "cash cow" for the Government.

I like it!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1