Plan to knock rabies out in Thailand with an army of 8,600 ‘livestock volunteers’ across the kingdom

webfact

1 hour ago, TingTonger said:

Mass overfeeding by every dopey farang and Thai feeling sorry for homeless dogs just increases breeding , especially in Pratamak 

Correct. It is a quite bizarre sense of earning some sort of Buddhavistic merit, when in reality they are simply prolonging their misery, making the place more dangerous, especially for young children who are the ones often attacked by these rabid creatures. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

There are too many posts that suggest killing all the "soi dogs." I can't respond to all of them. 

We didn't do that when COVID-19 showed up and threatened us. We shouldn't do that now. Anyone who suggests that is an <deleted>!

What is wrong with at least trying to kill all soi dogs? If you eat dead animals it cannot be a moral objection

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, proton said:

What is wrong with at least trying to kill all soi dogs? If you eat dead animals it cannot be a moral objection

Proton, l'll answer your question and then ask you a question I'd like to ask ALL those who are in favor of killing all the "soi dogs." Hopefully, you can answer for everyone...

My answer to your questions is killing anything just for your own convenience is wrong, at least in my book. Killing for food is not the same thing.

My question to you is a simple one. What makes you think a human's life is more important than a dog's life? 

And, if you answer that one you could try, What makes you think human comfort is more important than a dog's life?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

Proton, l'll answer your question and then ask you a question I'd like to ask ALL those who are in favor of killing all the "soi dogs." Hopefully, you can answer for everyone...

My answer to your questions is killing anything just for your own convenience is wrong, at least in my book. Killing for food is not the same thing.

My question to you is a simple one. What makes you think a human's life is more important than a dog's life? 

And, if you answer that one you could try, What makes you think human comfort is more important than a dog's life?

"What makes you think a human's life is more important than a dog's life?"

They used to tell me at Church that it was because a human being has a soul, whereas an animal doesn't.

Mind you, they also used to tell me that a certain person died and came back to life again, and that there really was a Santa Claus!!!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, steevjee said:

I am an animal lover but.....

The only compassionate solution is culling sadly.

The Soi Dog problem is now totally out of control and if you think it's possible to capture each animal and inject it you are delusional. The people have no right to complain either, as they will not have their pets neutered and when they inevitably breed it's the same people that take the litter out to the bush and dump them. It's wonderful that you are able to rescue a small percentage of these cast offs but you need to be realistic, culling is the ONLY solution.

A culling of dogs in a Buddhist country will not be accepted not that I would ever agree with that. A national spay neuter program would be more compassionate and successful and you would only need to do about 80 percent of the population to it became manageable for many years.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

14 hours ago, billsmart said:

There are too many posts that suggest killing all the "soi dogs." I can't respond to all of them. 

We didn't do that when COVID-19 showed up and threatened us. We shouldn't do that now. Anyone who suggests that is an <deleted>!

Err, I don't believe dogs caught Covid so struggle to see the link you make. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And if you go to a local government hospital or clinic it costs next to nothing. I know. The only time in my 26 years here that I've seen a Thai take responsibility for anything was when his dog raced out to the road and bit me as I passed. He took me to a clinic and paid for the treatment. Another time, a dog bit me in my own garden as I protected my dog from an attack. Went to the local hospital and the treatment cost 350.

At 350 baht you may receive rabies vaccine regime which can take more than a week to effect an immune response and protection meanwhile the rabies incubation can be as short as a week depending on location and severity of bite.

So without rabies immuno globin as recommended by WHO at many thousands of baht you are on a slippery slope.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Derek B said:

It is not just dogs & cats spreading rabies. Remove all the stray dogs & cats and rabies will still exist IMO.

The vaccines exist so use them before they expire

What do you suggest is spreading rabies then? Perhaps you could post evidence that shows that there other significant reservoirs of rabies that are infecting humans beside the rare instances like pet rabbits etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

What do you suggest is spreading rabies then? Perhaps you could post evidence that shows that there other significant reservoirs of rabies that are infecting humans beside the rare instances like pet rabbits etc.

Squirrels..... keep getting jumped on by rabid squirrels from the multitudes of tangled cables at my gate!

Yes, to ignore dogs and cats is plain stupid!

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

A culling of dogs in a Buddhist country will not be accepted not that I would ever agree with that. A national spay neuter program would be more compassionate and successful and you would only need to do about 80 percent of the population to it became manageable for many years.

"...............only need to do about 80 percent of the population......."

You do realise that this would involve HUGE numbers of dogs? And who would pay for it? I don't think that the current Government would place it very high on their list of priorities when they would obviously prefer to spend billions on investigating the possibilities of space travel, or Chinese submarines! ???? 

Just one or two statistics (Damn statistics and lies!!) to fire into the equation as Thailand and the UK have similar populations of people (Thailand 66m,  UK 62m - app.)

In the UK in 2022, there were over 13 million dogs, (100,000 homeless) and according to figures from 2010 to 2015, there were 210,000 people bitten by dogs every year.

In Thailand, there are estimated to be 8.5 million dogs, (1 million strays)  and according to a recent report, there were over a million people bitten by dogs last year.

Now I know you can juggle statistics around to suit your purpose , but from the above:-

13 million dogs - 210,000 dog bites (UK)

8.5 million dogs - 1 million dog bites (Thailand)

It would appear that most bites in Thailand come from strays/soi dogs ("Well done Sherlock" - before somebody else says it!) so 1 million problems to sort out!

(In the UK (and many other countries) it is a legal requirement for all dogs to be registered and chipped, so it would appear that by doing so, it dramatically reduces the number of dog bites, and in Thailand it follows that it would also reduce the number of cases of rabies. One BIG problem that Thailand would have is compelling the 7.5 million dog owners to have their dogs chipped and registered! In countries that have this requirement, the police would investigate any dog attack, and seek proof of registration and chipping - would Thailand's RTP do the same?

I have my own opinion as to what would be the best option,  but as a farang, I have no say in the solution!

19 hours ago, billsmart said:

Spidermike007 

I don't know how you can say "culling can be a beautiful thing." When you talk about the nation being "cleaner, ...safer, and better of all ... of us," you're only referring to humans.

I can only think of one species that culling would result in a cleaner, safer, and better world of all. 

I get the essence of what you are saying. Soi dogs are far more important than us lowly humans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 6:39 AM, spidermike007 said:

Though this plan is a step in the right direction, however the flaw within it, is the fact that when bitten, you don't know if the dog has been vaccinated, or not. So, you must get treated at a hospital, anyway. And the cost of treatment is up to 20,000 baht for a series of rabies shots. And that assumes it was a light bite and no other injuries occurred. As opposed to a small child being maimed for life. Many of these soi dogs are insane and true desperado. So, we should prioritize the lives of mangy, miserable soi dogs over the well being of the human population?

The real solution is massive, nationwide culling. These are mangy creatures, leading desperate lives. Show some nerve and compassion and take them out of the misery. Clean up the streets! 

Where do you get 20,000 baht from I got rabies shots a few years ago the first which I got at home in Buriram cost me 200 baht the second I got at Camillion Hospital in Thing Lor Bangkok cost me 450 baht

On 12/6/2022 at 2:44 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Try reading the UK papers. Not a week goes by without there being a story of humans disfigured by strays.

This is simply untrue!!!!

The offending dogs in the UK are invariably not strays but cared for pets ( usually large dangerous breeds) who the owners have lost control of. Often the owner is in close  proximity but is unable to restrain the critter in question.

• Thumbs Up 2