Plan to knock rabies out in Thailand with an army of 8,600 ‘livestock volunteers’ across the kingdom

webfact

35 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Try reading the UK papers. Not a week goes by without there being a story of humans disfigured by strays.

So I guess that the UK is not civilised. (I do not disagree with that statement.)

Not going to happen in a Buddhist country sunshine. Try again.

You're quite correct in that there seems to be an increase in dog attacks in the UK recently but in every instance I have read about, the attacks either took place within the home or where the dog was in the company of it's owner. Only yesterday I read that the met police have released CCTV of a man walking two dogs on leads, one of which went on to attack an eleven year old girl during the dogs' walk. There is no comparison with the unacceptably high incidence of attacks by strays here in Thailand. Mind you, dogs aside, I entirely agree with your take on how uncivilised the UK is. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sambum said:

And thereby make the cost of obtaining a dog only available to the rich, because you can bet your bottom baht that the licences will become another "cash cow" for the Government.

I like it!!! 

I think you misunderstand what is meant here, as I see it the comment was to only allow certified breeders for the supply of new puppies, in my opinion all dogs & cats should be licensed and chipped, then we would so see who the real animal lovers are and people who turn their pets out on the street can be traced and prosecuted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Good plan: work for free so that the government obtains its medals and incidentally… saves money.

A bit off topic, but same as French tourist (ladies?) spending their holidays on cleaning up the beaches, which was a post from yesterday. A local hotelier was so grateful that "it brought a tear to his eye" ???? 

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We won't take the life of a mangy soi dog, yet we take the lives of pigs and cows every day with our dietary preferences. Is that Buddhist philosophy? I think not. 

You are absolutely right, it is hypocrisy.

BTW no thai thinks of being reborn into a pig or a cow or a hen, some weird

17 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

I think you misunderstand what is meant here, as I see it the comment was to only allow certified breeders for the supply of new puppies, in my opinion all dogs & cats should be licensed and chipped, then we would so see who the real animal lovers are and people who turn their pets out on the street can be traced and prosecuted. 

19 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

I understand what was meant and my comment was a bit "tongue in cheek" but it didn't exactly say that, did it?:-

"The only solution is 100% vaccination  AND  the 100 % sterilisation of female dogs, except those whose owners have a strictly supervised breeding licence"

However, I do agree with you in principle, but I do not think that the Government would have the necessary motivation  to have an army of people checking on all "dogs on the streets".

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Try reading the UK papers. Not a week goes by without there being a story of humans disfigured by strays.

So I guess that the UK is not civilised. (I do not disagree with that statement.)

Not going to happen in a Buddhist country sunshine. Try again.

Not true, it's almost always attacks by owned dogs, there are hardly any strays in the UK compared to the millions here. The reluctance to act against soi dogs is not all to do with religion, there is another bigger reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We won't take the life of a mangy soi dog, yet we take the lives of pigs and cows every day with our dietary preferences. Is that Buddhist philosophy? I think not. 

I think you know as well as I do that all religions can be hypocritical at times!

Pigs and cows are bred for our "dietary preferences", whether you agree with it or not, but in my opinion, soi dogs serve no purpose at all, except to pose a danger to any body who "gets on their wrong side". 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, proton said:

Not true, it's almost always attacks by owned dogs, there are hardly any strays in the UK compared to the millions here. The reluctance to act against soi dogs is not all to do with religion, there is another bigger reason.

Why say "there is another bigger reason" without further explanation? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jacknorman said:

start with wiping out straydogs, counsils around Thailand can go around in villages and register dogs AFTER cleanup, if dog not registered or owner not want to say it is the owner take it away, give fines 10.000-30.000 for breaking any rules like keep your dog in your property etc

Educate the humans first. The dogs ,cats are taken in when puppies/kittens when they are cute. As they get older and bigger, Thais are too lazy and ignorant to take care of them, so abandon them on the streets. My dog has had ALL vaccinations and goes nowhere unless it's with me on a lead, It never goes without food and water. The authorities will not WIPEOUT any animal. because Buddhist believe " every living thing as a right to life". Plus they know it's the people at fault not the animals.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Minister of Agriculture has launched a new initiative to eliminate rabies in the kingdom by 2025

Eradicate Soi dogs altogether would be a good move.

Just pass an emergency decree citing health dangers to the public.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

The Swiss had a rabies issue in the 70s in their forest and free roaming wolves. The answer was very simple and very cheap. They used (slaughtered) chicken heads and injected the drug into the head. The free roaming wild animals went for it and the area (Southwestern Switzerland) was rabies free within no time. 

But the 8'600 volunteers might be nothing but an employment programme; for sure it is more expensive and less effective but both were never criteria in this country! 

51 minutes ago, sambum said:

A bit off topic, but same as French tourist (ladies?) spending their holidays on cleaning up the beaches, which was a post from yesterday. A local hotelier was so grateful that "it brought a tear to his eye" ???? 

Good point for French, but again… Authorities don’t spend a penny in Thai workers for clean their beaches, which must be ready to offer tourism the idyllic image that is promoted so much internationally.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Deadly disease reared up in 2018 due to a shortage of vaccines from 2016 and an explosion of the disease among the country’s population of wild dogs.

Would be better to Cull all the wild dogs so they can't breed/and Soi dogs .

They sure could do that with the 8600 Armed Army of volunteers.

5 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

A few years ago the government set up a program called "set zero" and was primarily aimed at dogs.

When local government officials were caught poisoning the dogs instead of vaccinating them their was a public outcry and it was stopped. This came about by one man dying of the disease that he got from a cat. Then we had the government minister caught selling fake rabies vaccines. I am all for a vaccination program and a spay and neuter program but if this is another one disguised as killing dogs I will do everything to expose it. We have dedicated our lives here to help the dogs and cats with over 3 hundred helped and building our own shelter using our own money. In a Buddhist country I expect nothing less than a compassionate solution to this. The problem here was created entirely by humans taking no responsibility for the dogs and cats in their care. 

I am an animal lover but.....

The only compassionate solution is culling sadly.

The Soi Dog problem is now totally out of control and if you think it's possible to capture each animal and inject it you are delusional. The people have no right to complain either, as they will not have their pets neutered and when they inevitably breed it's the same people that take the litter out to the bush and dump them. It's wonderful that you are able to rescue a small percentage of these cast offs but you need to be realistic, culling is the ONLY solution.

• Like 1

This may have got worse after Thailand made the dog euthanasia potion (Pentobarbital) unavailable. Of course the dog potion could be used by humans to off themselves, that's why it got banned.

The war on drugs, for that's what it is at the end of the day, has unintended consequences.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

"but the vets refuse to "put them to sleep".

That is because as long as the animal is still alive the veterinary surgeon can make money by charging the owners for treatment and medicine. In other words using the animals suffering to line their pockets.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

And you are part of the problem with that stupid comment big boy. I love these keyboard warriors. Kill a dog in front of your children and see how long you last before being kicked out 

You are a nice guy .

Just don't waste your time here on a forum that is full of dog haters ...

Don't worry , Karma will get all of them sooner or later .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Ever heard of Soi Dogs neutering program ... ?

That is the best solution .

https://www.soidog.org/content/spay-neuter-and-vaccination-cnvr

Absolute nonsense, in 20 years they have done an average of 100 mutts a day, while hundreds more are being born. At best all they have done is reduced the population growth slightly. Then they release most of them back on the streets where they continue being pests, saw one run over today almost causing a traffic accident. Soi dog do gooders are no solution at all, they just like to pretend it is. Yes they have managed to control these disgusting animals on Phuket better, but over on the mainland it's just peeing in the wind.

Edited by proton
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1