Shopee Stops Payment via Bank Accounts

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, Dec 6 (TNA) – Online platform Shoppee stopped receiving payment via bank accounts after a customer lost tens of thousands of baht from a bank account that was linked with its application.

The movement followed the case of a Shoppee app user who lost the money although the user did not make any transaction. After the complaint was posted on social media, about 100 other people said they shared the same fate.

Prinya Hom-anek, a member of the National Cyber Security Committee, said hackers could hack the accounts of online commerce customers through 4-5 channels including banks.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1070640

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-12-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

This is why I use an ATM-Mastercard, linked to a special bank account which I limit to ALWAYS containing exactly 2000 Baht, for all my Shopee and Lazada purchases, and ONLY FOR THAT PURPOSE.

As a aside, I keep my main savings in a different special bank account that has NO ATM CARD.

My spouse regularly asks me why I maintain 4 separate bank accounts, both in BKK and my rural Issan province. I patiently explain every time, but I know there's imaginary suspicious overtones.

I got embezzled ONCE in the USA, and once was enough for me. Long story on what it took to get my money back (even hiring a strong-willed young lady whose job it was to call BofA DAILY, until they finally capitulated.)  ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually this was stopped about 6 weeks ago with no notice and then followed with only notice it stopped start of November.  No reason provided and as they will not accept foreign credit cards no alternative for many (unless happy with COD).

As the system required entry of SMS code for any transaction it appears someone lost phone and never changed phone number in Shopee.  

This process isn't possible on ShopeePay?

9 minutes ago, Pawpcorn said:

As a aside, I keep my main savings in a different special bank account that has NO ATM CARD.

Good one, I use my SCB Card for Online Shopping and as soon as the payment has gone through I block the card immediately in the APP so it can't be used any more till I unblock it.

Withdrawing money I do via the SCB APP as well via the Cardless ATM option and thus not via ATM card

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Always C.O.D. for me , safest way in IMHO , 

regards Worgeordie

If you do C.O.D. you can also pay the delivery guy via QR code.

I know for sure that with Flash and Kerry that you can pay C.O.D. that way.
No idea about the other delivery services.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Always C.O.D. for me , safest way in IMHO , 

regards Worgeordie

It is indeed the most secure way to protect your bank account, but you can still get conned in other ways (cheap rubbish instead of ordered item when package opened).

• Thumbs Up 1

A similar problem with Lazada some months ago. A first time allowing my bank details. 26K baht was taken and spent in Deliveroo in London.  The bank did get the money back for me, but how did Deliveroo in London get my Thai bank details. Needless to say C.O.D. now and my bank details stay with me and a new card.

• Thumbs Up 1

After a few mishaps with these boogie sellers (Lazada, Shopee, etc.), I've decided to buy everything at a shop where I can see the quality and, if needed, test it before buying.
Saved me already a lot of money and no complaints about my purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Confuscious said:

After a few mishaps with these boogie sellers (Lazada, Shopee, etc.), I've decided to buy everything at a shop where I can see the quality and, if needed, test it before buying.
Saved me already a lot of money and no complaints about my purchase.

how have you saved money? physical shops are always more expensive 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2022 at 4:17 AM, Surasak said:

A similar problem with Lazada some months ago. A first time allowing my bank details. 26K baht was taken and spent in Deliveroo in London.  The bank did get the money back for me, but how did Deliveroo in London get my Thai bank details. Needless to say C.O.D. now and my bank details stay with me and a new card.

Not disputing that money was taken from your account but I am wondering how you link that to the Lazada purchase?

In the one bank transfer I've conducted with Lazada, I didn't have to provide any of my bank details.  I went into my own account and authorized my bank to transfer money for a one time payment to the Lazada payment service.  The only thing Lazada and/or the vendor would see is that a payment was made that corresponded to an order number.  

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Please .....This is nonsense....After many many hundreds of orders an both Lazada and Shopee I have got shafted on a total of ONE order, and it was from China......

About a 99.9% chance you will not be shafted ....Lazada and Shopee are for the most part fantastic...

Well, you are a lucky guy

Most of the people are complaining about these companies and their delivery companies.

30 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Well, you are a lucky guy

Most of the people are complaining about these companies and their delivery companies.

I suspect he is in the majority, just as I am.  It is the unhappy campers that post - often due to their own misunderstandings.  As for delivery companies I have issues about one in twenty or so (delivery after dark or not on day indicated) but would have traffic/check out/store issues if using actual stores.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you do not support the local business, they will be gone.

Along with their years of expertise, plentiful stock for purchase now, not in a week.

Or keep shoving money in the pockets of big retailers.

My guess is that online shopping is being driven by laziness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, seedy said:

If you do not support the local business, they will be gone.

Along with their years of expertise,

Blimey! Where do you shop?  The only English I hear is 'No have' as the assistant can't be arsed to put their phone down.  If you ask a question about the product they won't know anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Not disputing that money was taken from your account but I am wondering how you link that to the Lazada purchase?

In the one bank transfer I've conducted with Lazada, I didn't have to provide any of my bank details.  I went into my own account and authorized my bank to transfer money for a one time payment to the Lazada payment service.  The only thing Lazada and/or the vendor would see is that a payment was made that corresponded to an order number.  

The only company in the world who had my bank details on file was "Lazada".

Who else could it have been? Those details are now non-existent, the money was returned and the A/C closed. One and only, never again.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect he is in the majority, just as I am.  It is the unhappy campers that post - often due to their own misunderstandings.  As for delivery companies I have issues about one in twenty or so (delivery after dark or not on day indicated) but would have traffic/check out/store issues if using actual stores.  

If you read the reviews on the sellers in Lazada/Shopee/etc., you will see that many people are not satisfied with theor delivery.
1 wrong delivery is enough for me to stop buying at these "Cowboy" business.
When I order a trouser and specify very clearly that I have size XXL, and the seller is claiming that he will ship a trouser in size XXL, then I expect to receive a trouser XXL and not a trouser size F. 

And about the delivery companies, many stories can be read here and in other forums about delivering packages which has not been ordered, problems with payments (what this thread is about) and other problems.
They have become a monkey business wthout proper control.

For me, when I need a trouser, I will be more than happy to go to a local shop, chose the size and color I WANT, test it and pay at the shop.

I’m in the middle of a back and forth with one of the on-line companies (not naming them for fear of defamation). Bought an item C.O.D., paid cash (฿300) but had to return the item. The company put the amount of my return in a “wallet.” In order to use it I have to give them my banking/passport information. Nope, that’s why I chose C.O.D. Asked them to put a credit on my account to draw from. They said no. Various reasons given for the process - money laundering issues, policy changes. So I asked them to send me a check. Haven’t heard back yet. It’s a small amount, I know, but I paid cash and they’re sitting on it. They took my cash with no verification.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

When I order a trouser and specify very clearly that I have size XXL, and the seller is claiming that he will ship a trouser in size XXL, then I expect to receive a trouser XXL and not a trouser size F. 

That's just schoolboy error, everyone knows their sizes are all over the place, so you take a chance or get them to measure and confirm. Even western makes clothes and shoes vary

• Haha 1