Brittney Griner reportedly released from Russian prison 10 months after arrest

Scott

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

She certainly was NOT wrongfully detained, as transporting drugs is illegal in most countries, even in most places in the USA.

Putin wins again, as the administration bows to the special interest groups, and the other guy rots who 'served' his country. 

Instead a drug addict gets her undeserved freedom, and USA looks weak again.

USA bails out someone who has nothing good to say about her home country.   I would have let her stay right where she put herself.

Agree with everything. She was no stranger to Russia been there many times, so she must have known the law? She got caught with a very small amount of the drug, like 1 gram I think the sentence was over the top, 9 years in a penal colony?

But this shows America puts a BB players life over that of a Marine Corp vet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Come on, that's just right wing nonsense.  The US GOV has been working feverishly to try and include Whelan in the deal.  The Russians balked.  It was either Griner or nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Agree with everything. She was no stranger to Russia been there many times, so she must have known the law? She got caught with a very small amount of the drug, like 1 gram I think the sentence was over the top, 9 years in a penal colony?

I don't know much about America, but this seems wrong.????????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

News Flash folks ... BG was NOT charged with simple possession.  She was charged and found guilty of smuggling (attempt to). 

Simple possession, is a fine and slap on the wrist in RU.

"In August, a Russian court found Griner guilty of attempting to smuggle illegal narcotics into the country"

https://www.thecut.com/2022/12/russia-arrests-wnba-star-brittney-griner-on-drug-charges.html#:~:text=According to the New York,years in a penal colony.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whelan_(security_director)

I see Brittney being described as a low life drug addict. That on its own is libellous, but this guy? Look at his record. It speaks for itself. Got himself into this mess. Quite ridiculous comparison. Thrown out of the marines, where he was just a clerk. And so it goes on. Maga for sure.

Oh, and he has 4 passports, a UK one amongst them, so as a Brit I feel free to comment on this.

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I see Brittney being described as a low life drug addict. That on its own is libellous, but this guy? Look at his record. It speaks for itself. Got himself into this mess. Quite ridiculous comparison. Thrown out of the marines, where he was just a clerk. And so it goes on. Maga for sure.

Its a shame Trump never got him out then, he had 2 years to try

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Credo said:

I suspect you mean WNBA.  I see you want to make it personal but it's probably best not to go there.  Your derogation of a sport's hero is noted.  I see from this and your previous remark that you are not happy that she has been released.  

As for the WNBA, I don't watch sporting events, and I've never seen a women's basketball game other than the short clips shown on sport's news and regular news outlets.  Are they popular?  Well yes, as a matter of fact they are, and they are growing.  They do regularly fill up sport's venues, according to their various social media.  They are nowhere near as popular as men's BB which made around $7 billion compared to the women who made around $60 M.  Just out of interest, does it matter how much money they make?  Does it matter how big the venue?   Is your concern the finances only, or does justice matter to you at all?

I guess haters are just going to hate.  

"I guess haters are just going to hate."

Exactly.

This young lady checks a lot of the boxes that trigger some folks.

They are obvious and I won't state.

Doesn't take any imagination to see why some are hateful to her.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

All the cards were held by Russia. The US tried hard to get Russia agree to release others, they got no traction. It was Griner or nobody. That has been made crystal clear by Blinken.,

Sometimes I do not believe what Blinken says. Most of the time I don't believe what Joe says.  The only people who seemed to care about Paul Whelan was his family and maybe friends.  Griner had influential people pushing on her behalf. 

I don't object to her sexual choice but do the crime do the time. Why do people try to use her Olympic medals or HS career to defend her drug smuggling.  Even if for personal use it was wrong.   Does 9 years seem to long?  Yes.   But ask any card trader if this was a fair trade?  No way.  

Just now, Elkski said:

I don't object to her sexual choice but do the crime do the time. Why do people try to use her Olympic medals or HS career to defend her drug smuggling.  Even if for personal use it was wrong.   Does 9 years seem to long?  Yes.   But ask any card trader if this was a fair trade?  No way.  

So, leave her to rot in a country which we are at war with? Or take whatever deal we can get? The US had already judged Bout as not being a security threat any longer. At some point you do need to stop not believing any mainstream media.

38 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Wow, a rather unflattering portrait.  I honestly did not know his military record was so dismal.  Calling him a "former Marine" is almost an insult to the Marine Corp.

[After a court-martial conviction in January 2008 on multiple counts "related to larceny", he was sentenced to 60 days restriction, reduction to pay grade E-4, and a bad conduct discharge.[9][10] The specific charges against him included "attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another’s social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment."]

Low life? But the magas love him. They'll put any scumbag candidate up if it stirs the hate pot. Use any fake profile. All you who posted arguing the opposite please take a bow. KhunLA? What do you have to say now? Spouting unresearched, misleading bigotry. Working for Alex Jones right?

14 minutes ago, Elkski said:

It's all that was on offer. Take it or leave it? There's only one choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

That wasn’t the time. It was massively inflated for political purposes.

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

A guy America sought for years for being involved in the global supply of arms directly involved in killing their own citizens, no doubt spending tens of millions of dollars to eventually capture him funnily enough here in Thailand, and  bigging up his eventual capture in an almost Escobar news scale.

Versus a sportswoman who knowingly took her own illegal drugs into a foreign country.

Way to go USA, you never fail to disappoint with your victories.

A very sad day for the USA as well as the rest of the world. But it is all about Wokeness in the U.S. now and nothing else matters. RIP America.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Putin gets his buddy back then.

Also he's apparently served plenty of his 25 year sentence already having been arrested in Thailand in 2008, that's 14 years ago.

if only he had spent 14 years in a Thai jail........

A mixed race lesbian female basketball player or a white heterosexual Marine? Let’s not all act shocked here. Russia knew exactly what their ace card here was.  The Biden administration was always going to bring the person home who actually committed an offence over the the one whose done nothing and Russia knew this.  All based on the usual west’s obsession..race, gender blah blah blah blah ….boring ???? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

A mixed race lesbian female basketball player or a white heterosexual Marine? Let’s not all act shocked here. Russia knew exactly what their ace card here was.  The Biden administration was always going to bring the person home who actually committed an offence over the the one whose done nothing and Russia knew this.  All based on the usual west’s obsession..race, gender blah blah blah blah ….boring ???? 

Did you bother reading up on Paul Whelan? Did any of you insane pushers of a completely false narrative bother? He was kicked out of the marines. Why don't you inform yourselves? She won 2 Olympic gold medals playing in the USA women's basketball team. Every year she and a lot of other USA basket ball players used to go to Russia to play in its extremely well paid leagues. What the heck did he do? Got busted for thieving for starters. He's a low life. I wouldn't consider exchanging him for anyone.

• Like 1

I don’t believe that the US favored Griner because she is lesbian or black.

Nothing to do with woke which has become right wing code for being anti LGBT and anti teaching real history. 

She was prioritized because she's a sports star and her league lobbied aggressively for her.

Also Putin wanted to use her as a pawn because LGBT people are now the top scapegoated groups in Russia and he's  linking them to the west and Ukraine. If you don't know about this research modern Russian propaganda about LGBT.

Edited by Jingthing

41 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

A white heterosexual Marine? Oh boy!

"He enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve in 1994.[7] He took military leave from Kelly Services to serve with the Marine Corps Reserve from 2003 to 2008, including service in Iraq. He held the rank of staff sergeant with Marine Air Control Group 38 working as an administrative clerk and administrative chief, and he was part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.[8] After a court-martial conviction in January 2008 on multiple counts "related to larceny", he was sentenced to 60 days restriction, reduction to pay grade E-4, and a bad conduct discharge.[9][10] The specific charges against him included "attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another’s social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment."[11]

"He said in a deposition in 2013 that he holds a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and an MBA degree.[14] He took courses at Northern Michigan University from fall 1988 to fall 1990 without earning a degree.[12]"

You can read the whole grisly story here:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

What is wrong with you???She got arrested and sentenced for having substances what are against the law in Russia,I don't care how many gold she won or if she is the female Michael Jordan.If she is working in Russia she should have known better.'wrongfully detained'?how so?Nothing to do with haters or she is a lesbian.Different countries,different rules.

The true haters on here keep projecting through their infinite mind reading capabilities who is showing hatred, while other posters are just having a disagreement with what happened. Not a single person on here who has posted saying that this deal was not a good deal thinks that way because of someone's skin color or sexual orientation. There now I get to read minds.  I think she is a great basketball player. The real haters see her as a black lesbian basketball player and they all think she should have been released and not someone else or maybe just not yet until someone else is released. 

• Thumbs Up 1