Brittney Griner reportedly released from Russian prison 10 months after arrest

Scott

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

The true haters on here keep projecting through their infinite mind reading capabilities who is showing hatred, while other posters are just having a disagreement with what happened. Not a single person on here who has posted saying that this deal was not a good deal thinks that way because of someone's skin color or sexual orientation. There now I get to read minds.  I think she is a great basketball player. The real haters see her as a black lesbian basketball player and they all think she should have been released and not someone else or maybe just not yet until someone else is released. 

Someone like a common thief who happens to be white.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don’t believe that the US favored Griner because she is lesbian or black.

Nothing to do with woke which has become right wing code for being anti LGBT and anti teaching real history. 

She was prioritized because she's a sports star and her league lobbied aggressively for her.

Also Putin wanted to use her as a pawn because LGBT people are now the top scapegoated groups in Russia and he's  linking them to the west and Ukraine. If you don't know about this research modern Russian propaganda about LGBT.

Well, some on this forum do believe just that, and probably millions around the world. But would any of the 4 governments of the countries for which Whelan has passports really want him back?

But you're right about "woke". With the fall of Alex "Woke" Jones, it's come full circle. Woke or joke?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

if only he had spent 14 years in a Thai jail........

Well he certainly tried to remain in Thailand (in prison) as long as possible whilst fighting extradition to the US.

So that would have been his choice I suspect but the Thai authorities appear to have been taking orders from the US government.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whelan_(security_director)

I see Brittney being described as a low life drug addict. That on its own is libellous, but this guy? Look at his record. It speaks for itself. Got himself into this mess. Quite ridiculous comparison. Thrown out of the marines, where he was just a clerk. And so it goes on. Maga for sure.

Oh ok. So you and a couple others hate Whalen because he is a white middle aged bad man. Now it's all very clear. She of course did not get herself into this mess. If she did not carry illegal drugs into Russia she would have never been in jail and none of us would be posting on this thread. Can you or any of the others haters of Whelan at least agree on this very simple post? Gracias ???? 

Edited by alex8912
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh ok. So you and a couple others hate Whalen because he is a white middle aged bad man. Now it's all very clear. She of course did not get herself into this mess. If she did not carry illegal drugs into Russia she would have never been in jail and none of us would be posting on this thread. Can you or any of the others haters of Whelan at least agree on this very simple post? Gracias ???? 

It was never disputed. And it's not Whelan I hate, but the maga fakery that casts him as the rightful release candidate on account of his (fake) marine corps status, his whiteness and his heterosexuality. His record in the MC was a disaster, and his other stories have been discredited. Her record, apart from this episode, was unblemished. Can you at least agree on that?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

It was never disputed. And it's not Whelan I hate, but the maga fakery that casts him as the rightful release candidate on account of his (fake) marine corps status, his whiteness and his heterosexuality. His record in the MC was a disaster, and his other stories have been discredited. Her record, apart from this episode, was unblemished. Can you at least agree on that?

I don't think maga is the main reason for some wanting him released. I don't even think there are as many people who TRULY are maga. It's a very convenient and condescending term often used for Republicans and people who are even almost center. I see the term on this forum so much that it just becomes boring. DT won't be president again but soo many people are still obsessed with this ( again even more on this forum) I've said she is a great player. I'm interested in her opinion about the USA more now than before. Will she still object to the national anthem? Will that still be part of her legacy? Did she grow in prison as many before her have. She is 32 I think. She says she will help others that were in the same position as she was. Who knows with her help Whelan may be released in the next year. I don't think that should be a negative at all. But she has a GREAT opportunity right now to show everyone including Maga people ( yup I said it again ) what a great woman and strong women and intelligent woman and much better liked by all women that she is ( even more )  in the coming year(s). If she does this successfully maybe she can be President someday. Ever think of that? 

Edited by alex8912

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I don't think maga is the main reason for some wanting him released. I don't even think there are as many people who TRULY are maga. It's a very convenient and condescending term often used for Republicans and people who are even almost center. I see the term on this forum so much that it just becomes boring. DT won't be president again but soo many people are still obsessed with this ( again even more on this forum) I've said she is a great player. I'm interested in her opinion about the USA more now than before. Will she still object to the national anthem? Will that still be part of her legacy? Did she grow in prison as many before her have. She is 32 I think. She says she will help others that were in the same position as she was. Who knows with her help Whelan may be released in the next year. I don't think that should be a negative at all. But she has a GREAT opportunity right now to show everyone including Maga people ( yup I said it again ) what a great woman and strong women and intelligent woman and much better liked by all women that she is ( even more )  in the coming year(s). If she does this successfully maybe she can be President someday. Ever think of that? 

No.

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

It's rather amazing that Whelan's military record has been kept largely secret....almost as if all media outlets agreed not to reveal that his Marine Corp career was an abject failure.  I certainly didn't know about it.  But I suppose it's not really relevant to his Russian imprisonment (wrongful).  But now that the right wing are bashing the US GOV/POTUS for getting Griner out and not Whelan, perhaps more of the truth should be revealed.  Especially since the right wing nutters are claiming that a LGBT celeb was getting the special treatment while a "military vet" was not.   

Nobody's kept it secret. He's had an entry on Wikipedia since 2019, possibly earlier.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 5:22 AM, alex8912 said:

There is absolutely no hate on this thread ( as of now) what in the world is going on in your head?  Your middle paragraph is quite  dramatic and may reflect on your own inner bigotry! Really quite appalling! 
Do you realize who EXACTLY she was "traded" for. Have you looked up his stats before you spewed out her high school achievements? Please look up HIS stats. Your post is disturbing actually. 
This was a horrible deal. Putin is soo happy right now. This is even bigger than Brittany's Gold metal but you don't get it. 

I have to agree. They could have traded for Paul Whelan, but apparently went for the one that looks good for Biden.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alex8912 said:

The true haters on here keep projecting through their infinite mind reading capabilities who is showing hatred, while other posters are just having a disagreement with what happened. Not a single person on here who has posted saying that this deal was not a good deal thinks that way because of someone's skin color or sexual orientation. There now I get to read minds.  I think she is a great basketball player. The real haters see her as a black lesbian basketball player and they all think she should have been released and not someone else or maybe just not yet until someone else is released. 

After reading that a couple of times I have no idea as to whom you are accusing of hatred. Can you clarify please?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

How could she be a drug addict and a world class basket ball player? Time to report these outrageous smears and all references to her as a "drug addict".

Talent & drugs don't seem to be an issue for many...

Mike Tyson 

Robert Downey Jr 

Jimi Hendrix

Keith Richards

Benjamin Franklin

Vincent Van Gogh

Darryl Strawberry 

Andre Agassi 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have to agree. They could have traded for Paul Whelan, but apparently went for the one that looks good for Biden.

I don't think so:

Russia demanded that a spy held in Germany be freed in exchange for Paul Whelan

Russia refused to release Paul Whelan alongside Brittney Griner unless a former colonel from Russia’s domestic spy organization currently in German custody was also released as part of any prisoner swap, US officials told CNN, even as the US offered up the names of several other Russian prisoners in US custody that they would be willing to trade.

The US was unable to deliver on the request for the ex-colonel, Vadim Krasikov, because he is serving out a life sentence for murder in Germany.

CNN first reported exclusively in August that the Russians had requested that Krasikov be released along with Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer who was serving a 25-year sentence in the US, in exchange for Whelan and Griner.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics/russia-paul-whelan-vadim-krasikov-germany/index.html

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Perhaps now this young lady will stand proud for the National Anthem.

Along with an inspiration for all the youngins thinking ... 

... hmm ... drugs or sports ... oh hell, I can do both ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

After reading that a couple of times I have no idea as to whom you are accusing of hatred. Can you clarify please?

Two other posters were accusing myself and others. I think the both of them are. Just read the comments ( if you are bored) you'll see what I mean. They do this on other threads too because they think they can read minds. 

28 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I guess shooting hoops is more important to Joe Biden than serving in the Marines, and conspiring to kill Americans is a nothingburger ???? 

Griner’s release puts a spotlight on Paul Whelan, another American imprisoned in Russia. https://nyti.ms/3P9lvwu

Shortly after his conviction in 2011 on charges including conspiring to kill American citizens...

Who Is Viktor Bout, the Arms Dealer in the Swap for Brittney Griner? https://nyti.ms/3FDsZVC

Right. Whalen's service in the Marines, was, in a very special way, quite distinguished.

"After a court-martial conviction in January 2008 on multiple counts "related to larceny", he was sentenced to 60 days restriction, reduction to pay grade E-4, and a bad conduct discharge.[9][10] The specific charges against him included "attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another’s social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment."[11]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Whelan_(security_director)

• Haha 1