Brittney Griner reportedly released from Russian prison 10 months after arrest

Scott

4 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Don't forget that Victor Bout spent 10 years in the American prison. His term was nearly coming to an end anyway.

Far from it ... BG would have been out before VB:

"Bout was convicted by a jury at a federal court in Manhattan on 2 November 2011. On 5 April 2012, he was sentenced to 25 years in prison, the minimum sentence for conspiring to sell weapons to a U.S.-designated foreign terrorist group." - WIKI

8 hours ago, Credo said:

Yes, I know who she was traded for.  We got a still young, dynamic BB player.  They got a used arms dealer who long ago passed his use-by date.  

A merchant of death & his network of cash, contacts, & weapons flow is a nice compliment to Putin's needs at this point in time....

Technically not quite aiding and abetting an enemy, but close....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

She certainly was NOT wrongfully detained, as transporting drugs is illegal in most countries, even in most places in the USA.

Putin wins again, as the administration bows to the special interest groups, and the other guy rots who 'served' his country. 

Instead a drug addict gets her undeserved freedom, and USA looks weak again.

USA bails out someone who has nothing good to say about her home country.   I would have let her stay right where she put herself.

I'd like you to back up this talk about Griner not liking her home country. It seems to be a right wing talking point. I have seen no justification for this. It's a claim to fact to spring a link please.

7 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

A merchant of death & his network of cash, contacts, & weapons flow is a nice compliment to Putin's needs at this point in time....

Technically not quite aiding and abetting an enemy, but close....

Not even on the same planet. In what way does this exchange help Putin in any practical sense?

For all the popping heads around here, CNN is reporting that Russia would not deal for any other person besides Griner. There wasn't a choice here. So knocking Biden is a bit pointless. He traded the worthless Bout for the only person he could get. The result is wildly popular. Refusing to accept that trade would have been both stupid and unpopular.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Credo said:

I am very happy she has been released.  It was a good deal, maybe not the best, but good nonetheless.  She has been an inspiration to many and an asset to the sport's world.  Among her accolades, she was selected as the number one high school player in the country in 2009.  She has been the recipient of two Olympic Gold medals.  In 2012 and 2013 she was the given the Wade Trophy for best female NCAA Division female player.  She was the winner of the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award twice.  

It's sad that so many haters are here to detract from a wrongfully detained person.  It's understandable that a lot of bigots are upset that a black, female, lesbian who has achieved so much would not be kept in jail.  

If hate was painful, many would be suffering inexcusably. 

All the great accomplishments come up drastically short to counter her ignorance in traveling across international borders with illegal drugs in her possession. She belonged in jail and the other side of the exchange belongs in jail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Well done Brittney. Through your stupidity and entitled behaviour you have led to a notorious arms dealer being released. 

As for the US, maybe they need some new negotiators. They've just traded in their brand new Ferrari for an old Ford Granada. The Russians must be laughing their arzez off.

Totally agree .....   a basketball for a box of AK-47's ....   :cheesy:     unbelievable  !!     how stupid can one be?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stoner said:

i guess they do negotiate with the baddies now eh.

They should have taken no deal? That would have been political insanity. As much as the far right might hate the gay, black girl, the sentence was manifestly excessive. The deal was predicated on that. If she'd gotten an appropriate sentence, the US may not have been willing to deal.

Just now, ozimoron said:

If she'd gotten an appropriate sentence

appropriate to whom ? to you ? your view on what ? 

remind me again if russia is allowed to make their own laws and rules ? weather or not you agree with them is irrelevant. 

yes they should of taken no deal. the optics of letting a known arms dealer free is not good at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

appropriate to whom ? to you ? your view on what ? 

remind me again if russia is allowed to make their own laws and rules ? weather or not you agree with them is irrelevant. 

yes they should of taken no deal. the optics of letting a known arms dealer free is not good at all. 

9 years for a tiny amount of hash oil is not excessive in your book? That isn't public opinion or based on any kind of sentencing law even in the US. You're just upset because Biden again does something actually popular.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

9 years for a tiny amount of hash oil is not excessive in your book? That isn't public opinion or based on any kind of sentencing law even in the US.

i find that the death penalty is excessive. know anywhere that is still widely used ? our view on what is excessive is irrelevant. they have their laws. 

so it would be cool if i was a tiny amount over the legal alcohol limit when i crash my car ? just a tiny amount not excessive. i should be able to just go home as it was not excessive right ? 

some states in the USA still have very harsh cannabis laws. maybe not to that extreme but you can talk about the USA laws as well please. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Far from it ... BG would have been out before VB:

"Bout was convicted by a jury at a federal court in Manhattan on 2 November 2011. On 5 April 2012, he was sentenced to 25 years in prison, the minimum sentence for conspiring to sell weapons to a U.S.-designated foreign terrorist group." - WIKI

Griner had about 9 years left on her sentence, the Lord of War dude had about 10.  So in that sense, it was an equitable trade.

Having said that, 9 years for simple possession of a product legal elsewhere....a bit much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do the popping heads here really think Griner should spend the next 9 years in a Russian concentration camp? Is this the level of hate round here?

To be clear, Blinken said this wasn't about choice. It was Griner or nobody. I have no sympathy for what Griner did, especially because the Sate Dept warned her not to go but I'm not rabid either.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Griner had about 9 years left on her sentence, the Lord of War dude had about 10.  So in that sense, it was an equitable trade.

Having said that, 9 years for simple possession of a product legal elsewhere....a bit much. 

Being an arms dealer isn't illegal, worldwide, or the 5 permanent member of the UN Security Council should all be in prison.

They all really should be ... IMHO

Needless to say ... it's all political.  

15 yrs left vs 9 ... vs someone who deals in death, for a drug addict.

Putin got the best out of that deal.   

If Victor goes back in business, surely he will, more will die.

BG .. it wasn't exactly simple possession.  She was transporting multiple vial of concentrated hash oil, and on interstate flights to top it off.  She's lucky they didn't charge her with distribution, since having multiple vials, or interstate transportation of, .

That would get you a life or even death sentence in more than a few countries.

Also extremely illegal in the USA, depending which state to state she would fly between.

Simple possession is a doobie or 2 in your hotel room or at the park.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Being an arms dealer isn't illegal, worldwide, or the 5 permanent member of the UN Security Council should all be in prison.

Needless to say ... it's all political.  

15 yrs left vs 9 ... vs someone who deals in death, for a drug addict.

Putin got the best out of that deal.   

If Victor goes back in business, surely he will, more will die.

I doubt very much Bout will go back in business.  Fact is, I'm sure others have already stepped in to take his place.  And you have zero proof that Griner was a drug addict.  No more than someone regularly taking blood pressure medication.   

I was wrong about 10 years left for Bout--he's only got about 7 years left.  So if what you say is true, he'd be in business in 2029 anyways.

[Bout, 55, nicknamed the "Merchant of Death," is a former Soviet Army lieutenant colonel who, according to U.S. officials, was trying to sell weapons to be used against Americans. He was serving a 25-year sentence at a federal prison in Marion, Illinois, and was set to be released in August 2029, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/brittney-griner-is-free-latest-updates-on-wnba-star-s-release-in-prisoner-swap-with-russia/ar-AA1539VS?ocid=wispr&cvid=a396d7f577204de79dfb396761b87d33

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

And you have zero proof that Griner was a drug addict. 

She need to carry that much concentrated hash oil around with while working, basically on a business trip ... yea ... she has a drug problem.

MSN ... yea ... they sugar coat it like everyone else is doing.  Sentenced to 25 yrs, and may be 'eligible' for parole in 2029, but that probably wouldn't happen.   Selling arms to USA's enemy, to be used against Americans ... who wants to be known for releasing him back into the public.

And as long as Yanks are in RU prison, he was going finish out all 25 years.  You won't give Snowden back, you ain't gettin' Victor back.

Until the administration changed, bowing to special interest groups, and make no mistake, if that was a white, straight male tourist, they'd be rotting in prison for 9 years. IMHO

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I doubt very much Bout will go back in business.  Fact is, I'm sure others have already stepped in to take his place.  And you have zero proof that Griner was a drug addict.  No more than someone regularly taking blood pressure medication.   

I was wrong about 10 years left for Bout--he's only got about 7 years left.  So if what you say is true, he'd be in business in 2029 anyways.

[Bout, 55, nicknamed the "Merchant of Death," is a former Soviet Army lieutenant colonel who, according to U.S. officials, was trying to sell weapons to be used against Americans. He was serving a 25-year sentence at a federal prison in Marion, Illinois, and was set to be released in August 2029, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/brittney-griner-is-free-latest-updates-on-wnba-star-s-release-in-prisoner-swap-with-russia/ar-AA1539VS?ocid=wispr&cvid=a396d7f577204de79dfb396761b87d33

I'm sure it would have been ok if she had been a white, straight basketball player. Griner being black, lesbian and an activist..............MAGA's worsts nightmare

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Credo said:

I am very happy she has been released.  It was a good deal, maybe not the best, but good nonetheless.  She has been an inspiration to many and an asset to the sport's world.  Among her accolades, she was selected as the number one high school player in the country in 2009.  She has been the recipient of two Olympic Gold medals.  In 2012 and 2013 she was the given the Wade Trophy for best female NCAA Division female player.  She was the winner of the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award twice.  

It's sad that so many haters are here to detract from a wrongfully detained person.  It's understandable that a lot of bigots are upset that a black, female, lesbian who has achieved so much would not be kept in jail.  

If hate was painful, many would be suffering inexcusably. 

What is wrong with you???She got arrested and sentenced for having substances what are against the law in Russia,I don't care how many gold she won or if she is the female Michael Jordan.If she is working in Russia she should have known better.'wrongfully detained'?how so?Nothing to do with haters or she is a lesbian.Different countries,different rules.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

What is wrong with you???She got arrested and sentenced for having substances what are against the law in Russia,I don't care how many gold she won or if she is the female Michael Jordan.If she is working in Russia she should have known better.'wrongfully detained'?how so?Nothing to do with haters or she is a lesbian.Different countries,different rules.

Even in Russia sentences like that are not handed out for that quantity. She was a political prisoner. If they'd given her a a few months or a suspended sentence as is typical I'd say let her do the time.

So what can Joe Biden offer to Vlad to get Paul Whelan out?  1) Vlad demands no more arms for Urkraine-highly unlikely(at least I hope so). 2) Buy Russian Oil at $100 per barrel 3) Allow Aeroflot to fly into the US so Russian can go shopping?  

Negotiating 101:  Have some leverage.  

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

So what can Joe Biden offer to Vlad to get Paul Whelan out?  1) Vlad demands no more arms for Urkraine-highly unlikely(at least I hope so). 2) Buy Russian Oil at $100 per barrel 3) Allow Aeroflot to fly into the US so Russian can go shopping?  

1) not good for  USA defense contractors' profits

2) not good for USA fossil fuel corporations' profits

3) not good for USA int'l air carriers' profits

Politicians have puppeteers / corporations they MUST answer to.

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

All the cards were held by Russia. The US tried hard to get Russia agree to release others, they got no traction. It was Griner or nobody. That has been made crystal clear by Blinken.,

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Even in Russia sentences like that are not handed out for that quantity. She was a political prisoner. If they'd given her a a few months or a suspended sentence as is typical I'd say let her do the time.

Hmm the maximum for her crime is 10 years she got 9 years

https://theconversation.com/brittney-griners-sentence-is-in-line-with-russias-strict-drug-penalties-but-how-long-she-serves-will-be-decided-outside-the-courtroom-188271

• Like 1