Anti-Drink Driving Foundation chief thanks Thai health minister Anutin for opposing 4am pub opening

webfact

Who cares if not in residential area , only night club or bar area WHO cares other than those worried you can't get skin full by 2am, then those who don't go until 12am , In Australia + US UK EU Plenty open all night some are for shift workers others a strip clubs close 6 or 7 am ! I personally l don't care either way ! However to use covid as reason what crock of <deleted>

Edited by Mad mick

5 hours ago, smedly said:

what a joke, how about getting the police to do their job and actually catch drunk drivers "before" they crash, 12am onwards is a good start 

4am closing will have no effect on people getting into/onto a vehicle and driving while intoxicated - zero effect 

Exactly. 

In certain countries, the police sit in their car outside the pub. When they see someone exiting the bar they walk over before the guy starts the engine and breathalyse him. 

It stops a lot of drunks from driving. The time doesn't matter.

Yes, because so many tourists - especially on Khao San road - actually drive. Right. This has nothing to do with drunk driving, probably more to do with the fact raising the time limit will make brown envelopes thinner.

99% of tourists don't drive, and for those who do it's quite easy to set up roadblocks right outside tourist areas and prevent them from driving drunk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vangrop said:

I don't understand, in my local beerbar here in Pats the boss told me I can stay and drink alcohol after 2am (what we do), the only restriction is that she is not allowed to let play the music. So what is dr. Spot fantasizing?

This is exactly the problem with these bars. They don't care or don't understand the most basic laws and regulations. They should not have a licence. Often they don't have one anyway. Closing time is 2 am with or without music (I have no bar and know this...). But 2 am is only for the designated entertainment zones otherwise earlier. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

This is laughable.

Thailand already has one of the World's worst road fatality rates. Letting bars stay open later is hardly likely to contribute to that. Punters don't have infinite funds they'll still spend the same amount just at different times as has been shown in other countries that liberalise pub opening hours.

The bigger issue facing Thailand is the lack of law enforcement, have the police apply the laws that exist more vigorously and equitably. That's the route to solving many of Thailand's problems, not more, or more restrictive legislation.

It is precisely the lack of law enforcement why I am against the 4am closing.  It has nothing to do with drunks on the road and everything to do with drunks in the neighborhood keeping everyone awake with their obnoxious howling and lack of concern for anyone but themselves.  The proposed 4am law limited to "entertainment districts" is all right in theory but will never be enforced by Thai authorities.  Every 2-bit neighborhood bar will be riding the coattails of the big clubs and residents will have no recourse.

• Like 1

Maybe some men thinks it's healthier for a tourist based society if it has some downtime.   Time to sleep, clean up, a 24 hour shift change if you like.    I think society as a whole may be more productive.  What are the rules for pot clubs sellng pot, lounge,  hours?   If they change bars closings to 4am, nut will want it the same for his ganga industry buddies. 

Edited by Elkski