4 WiFi Security Cams for around house.

JeffersLos

I want to get 4 security cameras for around a house. 

1 above the front porch, 2 down each side, and one inside looking down the hallway.

They are to be visible, attached to the ceiling. 

I would like them auto recorded for 24 hours, then record over themselves, and be available to watch on 2 or 3 chosen devices.

Any info or recommendation appreciated.

TIA. 

• Like 1

There are lots around... 

Do you want them hard-wired or battery operated. 

I installed ‘Blink’ (bought off Amazon) for the ease of installation and simplicity of use. 

They are not 24 hour recording - rather, they record only when there is movement.

We can set sensitivity, zones of coverage etc...  Batteries are supposed to last 2 years. 

The cameras can be accessed remotely (they connect to Wifi) and record either to the cloud (if you want) or to a base station which can be accessed on a home Wifi network. 

I think for something with 24 hour recording it would need a hard wired power supply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Just want to add, of course you need a power source,  but you add a small power pack so the camera keeps working for 8 hours after a power cut.

Also you get a 256 Gb microSD card, which will give you months of recording.

You can of course see it all on your smart phone, even if your are half way around the world. 

In your case, get one camera, play around with it, check night vision and then order the other 3.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.iTuH5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using motion detected IP cams on our residential block for 10 years. Using the LAN that also provides residents with internet access via WiFi, bandwidth was a factor. These modern day systems are expensive in comparison to what we use and severely limit configuration - I programmatically manipulate saved images to produce time-synced multi-camera movies, for example.

Over the last 7 years or so, with the advent of the app-based cams that only offered SD-card for local storage, I have had to build my own cameras that send images via FTP to my system, which is a raspberry Pi storing images on a USB flash drive. I use raspberry Pi zeros and ESP32-cams in dummy cameras to great effect. Last month I found someone selling some of the larger app-based cams on shopee as dummy cams cheaper than actual dummy cams (they only ever where gimmicks to sell pay-for cloud based hosting), so have been able to repurpose them with some old raspberry Pi1s I have.

For a small, house based setup there are plenty of Chinese systems on offer - just be sure to get something that doesn't only allow cloud-based storage.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I have 3 c320ws. They record 24 hours or on demand and are accessed with the Tapo app.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-link-tapo-c310-c320ws-outdoor-security-wifi-camera-i1817602454-s13932166877.html?

Just curious, but where do they record to?  Something like Google Drive?

1 hour ago, connda said:

Just curious, but where do they record to?  Something like Google Drive?

You can pay to save to the cloud through the app or insert an SD card and save locally.

Edited by stubuzz
  • Thanks 1