How to get out of team-building trips

Mr Derek

Alright, armchair shrinks and arbiters of morality (this discussion has gone way off the mark) - for clarification, I won't be forcing her to do anything, just offering rational advice seeing as she is blithely unaware of the danger on Thailand's roads, as apparently you all are.

8 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

This must be the only thread in the existence of TV/AseanNow where everyone is suddenly saying that Thailand's roads are perfectly safe and that it is fine to make unnecessary journeys in minibuses along highways. 

It is unnecessary in YOUR eyes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Derek said:
2 hours ago, nikmar said:

i could understand if it was you going on one of these things, but surely, it's up to your wife.

Well, yeah, but if she gets killed, it's effectively the end of my life too.

Sounds as though you're being selfish, there, you're actually worried about yourself!  But, statistically, the chances of her being killed are very low, she probably undertakes way more risky things in her normal everyday life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Derek said:

I oppose it because it's a needless risk for a trivial event and I'm angry that these companies force people to make these pointless and inefficient journeys

That's just your opinion that these (very infrequent) trips that are good for her career, are "needless, trivial, pointless and inefficient".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be more worried about her banging a coworker than being in a crash!

You could always insist on going with her.

Diplomatic solution,

Tell her you're going to stay in Pattaya while she's away.

Just pack a lot of condoms for her....problem solved.  Its not like a gang of co-workers is going to wear her out or break her, good for teambuilding too.  ????

One thing I dislike about these bonding trips is the crazy hour they often want to leave. Can't go at a civilized time . Nope , Have to leave at 11 pm to arrive early morning and save on a hotel bill. Wife goes once a year but I know the driver otherwise I would worry.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He sure is trying to control her (and her career!) as much for his well-being as hers!

If he was trying to control her he would be telling her not to go. He would be offering some kind of threat or ultimatum. He would be suggesting something detrimental to her could happen. I have not seen that.

He is simply questioning the safety of the roads. Something that has been bemoaned by most members on this forum one time or another. All of a sudden the roads are safe and there are no problems.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

This must be the only thread in the existence of TV/AseanNow where everyone is suddenly saying that Thailand's roads are perfectly safe and that it is fine to make unnecessary journeys in minibuses along highways. 

No one has suggested that Thailand's roads (that your wife uses every day anyway) are perfectly safe.  Some of us are suggesting that maybe 99.97%  of road users, out of the 69,000,000 population, do not get killed on the roads.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He sure is trying to control her (and her career!) as much for his well-being as hers!

I think his concern is valid....   IF they were travelling by motorcycle many more would be supportive of the Op’s opinion... 

It could be argued that his [The Ops concern] is not about trying to control her [His Wife] but is trying to protect her because he loves her -  think that concern is fair enough. 

The issue is perhaps that the concern is misplaced when factually and statistically evaluating risk. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, puchooay said:
57 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He wants to fake covid, so she can't go on a trip. Jeez.

No. that was a suggestion by someone else.

He has never said he "want's to fake covid". He acknowledged it as an idea

He clearly suggested that he thought that it was a good idea.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

she is blithely unaware of the danger on Thailand's roads, as apparently you all are.

Roughly, 0.03% of the population die on the roads each year.  I know that is, obviously, too much but your wife has a much better chance of surviving her trip and assisting her career than she has of being killed while travelling to the destination.   

By the way, did she embark on this career after you married her or were you married knowing that she had a serious career and that she could not spend her life and career worrying whether you approve of everything that her career entailed?

• Like 2