Savannakhet Trip Report

As requested by @Onerak

Left home about 05:45 and with a couple of stops on the way arrived at Mukdahan Border at 10:45 , 5hrs as predicted by Google maps. By the time I parked the bike, 100baht per night at the parking and shop facilities on the left as you approach the border. Cars are 250baht a day a Canadian guy with a ladyboy in tow told me as I entered, looked like a nice boy. Bikes get parked right next to the Office, seems safe but I disconnected my battery and locked the steering anyway.

Walked into Thai side immigration and got told to buy a bus ticket first outside so went back to the booth outside and purchased one , 45baht. Walked back in and got stamped out of Thailand. Walked to the bus seated waiting area where I saw the Canadian and his lady friend who I think I had spoke to 45mins ago at this point. We waited another 10 or so mins and the bus left. The Mekong is a lot wider than I’ve seen anywhere else here as I go over the bridge. It’s 11:50 and people have waited along time for the bus to leave so my stops enroute were inconsequential as I could not have made it here any earlier unless I had got here and hour earlier than I did. Right approaching Lao customs now, hope the E-visa works.

Ok E-visa was the best bypassed everyone filling forms out walked up to passport control and got stamped in. Sorted. Walked out to the awaiting taxi rats. I ended up taking the first one I spoke to as it looks like you can’t change to another as they would catch my eye. Got in a van with him and was taken to the Thai Embassy 200baht couldn’t be bother to haggle after the first refusal to budge, and it was past 12pm by now. 

We arrive at the embassy and a guy appears for no reason at my window as we stop. He talks to the driver as I paying him. I get out and the tour takes me to the back entrance for exiting visa-isters. He is trying to make out this is the entrance and is trying to tell me it’s closed but that the security guard can get me inside for 200baht. I can speak Thai but neither of these imbeciles could. Sitting in the Aura now writing this I feel like I should have given the guys the 200baht but I didn’t because I thought they would want my passport which I wasn’t prepared to do. What I did do is walk away and go to the big entrance full of optimism thinking I would be in time. I spoke with a Thai speaking woman employee who gave me the bad news that they were indeed closed for the day and open again in the morning and that I could expect to see my passport on Monday at best. I quizzed her about the guys at the back gate and asked if there was ‘ another way ‘ she said no. 

I went back to see pinky and perky again , well pinky approached me again as I went back he was still eager. But I just don’t understand enough Lao/Isaan to deal with something like this. How would they think they could get a passport off someone without speaking the owner’s language ? This is why i believe that they were offering to get me in the building.

Anyway told them what I thought of them and that they couldn’t take me to the next destination as they’d done very well thank you !  in bringing me here knowing full well it was a wild goose chase and they would get paid again for then delivering me to the hotel. 

So I walked to the Aura 18 mins in the sun. 600Baht for the room so could be looking at 2400baht for accommodation. 

So if you’ve managed to still be awake after that rundown. Does anybody know of a way to expedite the process and get me passport back with a 2 months TR visa tomorrow afternoon ? And does anyone know if the Back Entrance Mongrels were genuine ? The security guard had a look of shiftiness about him like he was looking around to see if the coast was clear to get some in. And the chat was of a tone that looked like it was real

Edited by Stevey
Onerak
  • Like 1

It is well known that the consulate closes at that time for applications.

I guess better planning would have got you there earlier.

In my experience they have always been firm with the rules. 

Sit back and enjoy your stay with a few bottles of Lao Beer.

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

Does anybody know of a way to expedite the process and get me passport back with a 2 months TR visa tomorrow afternoon ?

That used to be an option at some point in the past, but not any longer. I'd assume there's no "proper" way around this, otherwise the visa run companies would still be leveraging it.

You could ask one of those shady guys you've already met, but based on your experience with them so far, would you trust them if they told you they can facilitate it?

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

It is well known that the consulate closes at that time for applications.

I guess better planning would have got you there earlier.

In my experience they have always been firm with the rules. 

Sit back and enjoy your stay with a few bottles of Lao Beer.

Er… I left at 05:30 I’d have had to of left at 4am to make a difference non stop, I was told a boat load of Chinese turned up in the morning. I was on a motorbike, fffffffffrreeezzzziinn and I’ve got a full on face cold, not well. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevey said:

Er… I left at 05:30 I’d have had to of left at 4am to make a difference non stop, I was told a boat load of Chinese turned up in the morning. I was on a motorbike, fffffffffrreeezzzziinn and I’ve got a full on face cold, not well. 

I leave my place at 2:30am when doing the Savannakhet run. Never go on Thursday or Friday. Don't wish to be held up over the weekend. Go Wednesday or before allows for mishaps and a 24 hour delay.

Edited by puchooay

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

That used to be an option at some point in the past, but not any longer. I'd assume there's no "proper" way around this, otherwise the visa run companies would still be leveraging it.

You could ask one of those shady guys you've already met, but based on your experience with them so far, would you trust them if they told you they can facilitate it?

So let me just say that I’m about to tell you is not real and I’m just typing words. Right, so I told my story to the someone about the TukTuk drivers, trying to assist me to get my Visa at the back gate, and told him if he knew somebody who was an agent who could sort me out and get my passport back tomorrow if I put it in in the morning I’d be prepared to pay some money. Went up and had a shower came down to go out and find some food this afternoon and he done some asking around and said he knew somebody I said I was interested and after two minutes, a tuk driver arrived. We discussed it and he said if I go to the embassy in the morning, put my passport in to my tourist Visa and then when I finished I tell him the Visa number for a fee he will get the Visa expedited and deliver the passport to me  at which point, I give him the money and I go home the same day which will be tomorrow. Good story ? 

Obtw: This was all conducted in Thai language. 

Edits. Ok So I had a shower and realise I’ve left some bits out. 

• I spent a good deal of time at the hospital last night procuring an ATK Covid test, it was not requested by the Mukdaharn IO. 

• Was Savannakhet busy? Never got inside and the Bus has no westerners on to cross the river other than me and the Canadian and his mate but it was nearly midday. The Taxi driver when I interrogated him told me there were lot of Chinese and I did see two orientalist types leave the embassy while I was dealing with pinky and perky so maybe. 

Edited by Stevey
Speak Thai
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevey said:

I have done this trip quite a few times.  I travel to Mukdahan the day before and stay at a hotel with great views over the Mekong.  I take the first bus in the morning and I am usually at the Consulate before they open.  There is already a queue in place when I arrive and I assume those people must have stayed in Savannakhet the night before.  Invariably my application has been made the day I arrive in Laos.

39 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Hope you get the passport back today. Next time try Xayyaseng guest house if you want to save money. It's ten minutes walk to the embassy and they only charge 200thb or 100000 kip a night for a clean Aircon room. I stayed there last month.

It’s not too bad here 600Baht and one night so far and the staff facilitated today’s situation. 

Thanks for the hotel recommendation.  May try that tonight if needed. It’s a long walk to any life here although there is a big Buffet opposite if you fancy it, I don’t take tuktuks and reward my abusers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I have done this trip quite a few times.  I travel to Mukdahan the day before and stay at a hotel with great views over the Mekong.  I take the first bus in the morning and I am usually at the Consulate before they open.  There is already a queue in place when I arrive and I assume those people must have stayed in Savannakhet the night before.  Invariably my application has been made the day I arrive in Laos.

Ok? Are you saying you’ve have your passport back the day you arrived in Lao ? 

The dogs in the area of the Aura residence never stop barking and don’t like foreigners, I love dogs and have 10 but these are very aggressive and you have to watch them as you walk past. 

7am now and waiting for the driver who is facilitating the events. I would never take a local tuktuk unless desperate but this guy is implying it’s all in the fee. My worry is that this guy could also have laughed with his friends on the TukTuk Rank “ Yeah I’ll pick him up and drop him back and if the passport doesn’t materialise he got to pay me 300baht he would never had to coz he’s have walked it. Winner winner chicken dinner !! “

I’m actually considering walking to the embassy he’ll think I’m nuts but it could easily be a bait and switch and I can add transport fees onto the escapades cost. 

32 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

This post reads like a slow motion train wreck ????

The adage "fail to plan means planning to fail" comes to mind. ????

You’ve provided no information to this thread so far other than to chime in with some negativity. Stick me on your ignore list as you’ve got better things to do surely rather than read my ramblings. Your a troll. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

You’ve provided no information to this thread so far other than to chime in with some negativity. Stick me on your ignore list as you’ve got better things to do surely rather than read my ramblings. Your a troll. 

That he points out that coming prepared pays off is good advice.

Do you have all the required documents ready to apply for the visa today?

Please let us know what was required. Your firsthand report will help others in the same situation. Consulates aren't always good at keeping their websites up to date.

Edited by Caldera

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

The info is not accurate, first hand reports ( recent ) are much better. <- That is not correct in any way shape or form

The info is 100% accurate, as far as the times when you can turn in an application and the times when you can get your passport back

Savannakhet has a 2 working day processing time <- Turn your passport in one morning, pick it up the next business day in the afternoon.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Consulates aren't always good at keeping their websites up to date.

The website of the thai consulate in Savannakhet is spot on for the requirements and the way that consulate works as far as visas

• Like 1

The O/P may indeed be able to 'grease the wheel' and get his passport processed, the visa stuck in and get it back this afternoon via using those shady guyz out back 
BUT
remember though, if that not-so cunning plan falls thru, the consulate has his passport.

Meaning he's stuck in Savannakhet until Monday afternoon when they give the passports back from the people who are applying today.

Just so we're clear, In the last month I must have talked to and interacted with well OVER 150 people who've gone to Savannakhet from Bangkok and gotten their visas issued. Tourist visas, Non-B visas, Non-O based on marriage or raising children, etc.  

To a person IF they met the requirements, paid attention to the times you can apply and pick up your passport AND watched for Thai/Lao holidays they all got their visas the next business day

At this time Savannakhet is the "softest touch" consulate to get a tourist visa issued in S/E Asia.

For a tourist visa they don't care if you have two years of covid extension stamps in your passport, a b/s back door ED or Volunteer visa, just that you have a bank account showing 20K baht or the equivalent in it when you apply for the visa.

They also accept Chinese and India passports for visas (probably only for a limited time) and it's still a walk up no appointment needed consulate.

If ANYONE is contemplating getting a visa that'd be the consulate I'd recommend hands down..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

The info is 100% accurate, as far as the times when you can turn in an application and the times when you can get your passport back

Savannakhet has a 2 working day processing time <- Turn your passport in one morning, pick it up the next business day in the afternoon.

The turnaround times may be correct, the required docs are not.

7 hours ago, Stevey said:

Thats funny. Do you know you are calling one if the most knowlegable people on here and is also a moderator a troll. Your topic is a good reading car crash.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Stevey said:

Ok? Are you saying you’ve have your passport back the day you arrived in Lao ? 

The dogs in the area of the Aura residence never stop barking and don’t like foreigners, I love dogs and have 10 but these are very aggressive and you have to watch them as you walk past. 

7am now and waiting for the driver who is facilitating the events. I would never take a local tuktuk unless desperate but this guy is implying it’s all in the fee. My worry is that this guy could also have laughed with his friends on the TukTuk Rank “ Yeah I’ll pick him up and drop him back and if the passport doesn’t materialise he got to pay me 300baht he would never had to coz he’s have walked it. Winner winner chicken dinner !! “

I’m actually considering walking to the embassy he’ll think I’m nuts but it could easily be a bait and switch and I can add transport fees onto the escapades cost. 

No.   I did not intend to suggest it is a one day process.  I believe there is no legitimate way to avoid spending at least one night in Laos. 

1.  Make the application on the morning of arrival in Laos

2.  Collect passport and visa the next morning

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Just so we're clear, In the last month I must have talked to and interacted with well OVER 150 people who've gone to Savannakhet from Bangkok and gotten their visas issued. Tourist visas, Non-B visas, Non-O based on marriage or raising children, etc.  

To a person IF they met the requirements, paid attention to the times you can apply and pick up your passport AND watched for Thai/Lao holidays they all got their visas the next business day

At this time Savannakhet is the "softest touch" consulate to get a tourist visa issued in S/E Asia.

If ANYONE is contemplating getting a visa that'd be the consulate I'd recommend hands down..

Ok @PJ71 @Tod Daniels @Bigz@Caldera

If you don’t like long interminable posts skip this. It’s not for you. 

Tod mentioned Non-O’s no problem here. I have just bumped into a guy from Pattaya Norway guy speaks with Irish accents is loaded and has all the stuff in Thailand house etc. he told me he was refused with 800k in the bank and only got a Tourist visa and told he must go to his own country to apply and has lived here 20years. 

Ok so awoke early and was met with Tuk Tuk in the hotel lobby. He immediately says it’s off due to some issue with the guy inside. The fact that he didn’t just get as much trips for the day out of me then let me down later leads me to believe it was on the cards to get dealt with. I allowed him to take me to the embassy for his efforts and what appeared to be ‘honesty’. 

Arrived at the embassy and I then realised that the back entrance is the normal entrance for visas, no one corrected me on this. I noticed an Asian woman crossing the road and sitting in the copy shop opposite. Not knowing this shop I wondered over and had a chat. It was now I am enlightened ( not from anyone telling me here) that I also need a statement of bank account. I have had tourist visas before and never needed to show my vast wealth before. Luckily she enlightened me also to that I can generally download a statement from your banking app, this is important info for those with no phone banking or working phone in Lao, be sure you have some statement. The guy in the copy shop provided me with an application form and I made copies of my downloaded bank statement, the application form got photos stuck to it.

But what about the girl Steve ? I hear you ask, I’m coming to that now. Philippine woman working as a teacher in Kalasin. She had arrived the day before but had her tourist visa application knocked back due to here bank statement having an end balance of 16500 even though the start balance was 21000 she couldn’t understand that the IO is only interested in how much funds you have , not had, and she was an English teacher who couldn’t say the word British. Anyway long and short was I have her 4000baht to avoid the ensuing disaster via my Wise App. The 4000baht didn’t arrive for an hour as wise has said but she couldn’t wait and decided to try again with the 16500 again with the same Tall IO from yesterday. There were probably 7or less people applying today and it was 10am at this point and she had no hurry but whatever. She came back 5 mins later saying he had accepted it today,  strange …is he some sort of sadist. She mentioned she had actually borrowed the 16000 from a friend so was broke. I told her to keep the 4000k but she insisted not and sent it back. Woman is on her are struggling to get a work visa due to agent issues and is working illegally as a probably not very good English teacher who after 5 years can’t speak a word of Thai. We made our good byes as she was downgrading hotels from the 250baht Soulinsouk hotel to a hotel for 150baht. Women like that are hard to find. 

I presented my paperwork over the road to the lanky IO. He went through it and pulled me on not having a print out reservation for my fictional guest house in Thailand. I actually stay with my girlfriend child and 10 dogs but that’s opening a can of worms. I returned with a booking.com printout of a 400baht homestay actual near my village which I’m gonna use as a test so I have an other option for the next time my crazy 8itch of a girlfriend locks me out. He accepted that and said return at 14:00 tomorrow. It’s annoying that with only 7 or so customers that they couldn’t get those done this afternoon. 

I returned from my new guest house I found 200baht a night called Sounantha guest house
+856 30 59 10 213
https://maps.app.goo.gl/srFyV8yuKcZ35xp67?g_st=ic

where I met the guy who was expecting according to advice from ASEAN Now to receive a non-O visa but got turned down. We walked back to the embassy so he could pick up his  passport there were lots of Russians but not so many Chinese as people had said had arrived yesterday but not more than 50 people.

So to wrap up I hope to pick up my passport with TR visa Monday. Rather enjoying the break now and saved the 3 k for the IO. 

I can recommend Pilgrims Cafe at the Mekong for food and a coffee shop. The burger I had was cheap and the best biggest burger ???? I’ve had in a long long while. 

Ok. People will say that this post is loaded with too much useful info and I apologise for that. When I asked for advise on how to get a TR last month here one vital piece of Info that was missed off from the scraps I got thrown was that when you go to Vientiane which is my local consulate you must book the appointment and when I found this out I was too late and my closest appointment was  next Tuesday leaving me out the country till next Wednesday night. I know it’s the TV way to bring the hate but I’ve done my bit and told you everything you need to know and haven’t left out a crucial part. Some people , most people come here to get advice not half the story “ what do you mean you didn’t know you have to book an appointment in advance to get a TR visa , where yer been ?”   Although I am most greatful of the advice I have had. I fix machines when I hand over a job I don’t leave out half the story and laugh at the next guy when he’s struggling , much love. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

The website of the thai consulate in Savannakhet is spot on for the requirements and the way that consulate works as far as visas

No it's not....

6. Spouse Thai passport not required ( not for spouse anyway )

- no mention of 1 year ME non O at all, how would you know they're available based on this info?

- no mention of fee for 1 year non O ( that you wouldn't know are available )

- no mention of name change doc for spouse from thai to western name that i was asked for 2 days ago

- only mentions 3 month visa

image.png.04af7c88763fe8ea5c567a32f7574a71.png

image.png.0f6ac487855767072adbe500a1bdd52a.png

4 minutes ago, Stevey said:

Ok @PJ71 @Tod Daniels @Bigz@Caldera

If you don’t like long interminable posts skip this. It’s not for you. 

Tod mentioned Non-O’s no problem here. I have just bumped into a guy from Pattaya Norway guy speaks with Irish accents is loaded and has all the stuff in Thailand house etc. he told me he was refused with 800k in the bank and only got a Tourist visa and told he must go to his own country to apply and has lived here 20years. 

Ok so awoke early and was met with Tuk Tuk in the hotel lobby. He immediately says it’s off due to some issue with the guy inside. The fact that he didn’t just get as much trips for the day out of me then let me down later leads me to believe it was on the cards to get dealt with. I allowed him to take me to the embassy for his efforts and what appeared to be ‘honesty’. 

Arrived at the embassy and I then realised that the back entrance is the normal entrance for visas, no one corrected me on this. I noticed an Asian woman crossing the road and sitting in the copy shop opposite. Not knowing this shop I wondered over and had a chat. It was now I am enlightened ( not from anyone telling me here) that I also need a statement of bank account. I have had tourist visas before and never needed to show my vast wealth before. Luckily she enlightened me also to that I can generally download a statement from your banking app, this is important info for those with no phone banking or working phone in Lao, be sure you have some statement. The guy in the copy shop provided me with an application form and I made copies of my downloaded bank statement, the application form got photos stuck to it.

But what about the girl Steve ? I hear you ask, I’m coming to that now. Philippine woman working as a teacher in Kalasin. She had arrived the day before but had her tourist visa application knocked back due to here bank statement having an end balance of 16500 even though the start balance was 21000 she couldn’t understand that the IO is only interested in how much funds you have , not had, and she was an English teacher who couldn’t say the word British. Anyway long and short was I have her 4000baht to avoid the ensuing disaster via my Wise App. The 4000baht didn’t arrive for an hour as wise has said but she couldn’t wait and decided to try again with the 16500 again with the same Tall IO from yesterday. There were probably 7or less people applying today and it was 10am at this point and she had no hurry but whatever. She came back 5 mins later saying he had accepted it today,  strange …is he some sort of sadist. She mentioned she had actually borrowed the 16000 from a friend so was broke. I told her to keep the 4000k but she insisted not and sent it back. Woman is on her are struggling to get a work visa due to agent issues and is working illegally as a probably not very good English teacher who after 5 years can’t speak a word of Thai. We made our good byes as she was downgrading hotels from the 250baht Soulinsouk hotel to a hotel for 150baht. Women like that are hard to find. 

I presented my paperwork over the road to the lanky IO. He went through it and pulled me on not having a print out reservation for my fictional guest house in Thailand. I actually stay with my girlfriend child and 10 dogs but that’s opening a can of worms. I returned with a booking.com printout of a 400baht homestay actual near my village which I’m gonna use as a test so I have an other option for the next time my crazy 8itch of a girlfriend locks me out. He accepted that and said return at 14:00 tomorrow. It’s annoying that with only 7 or so customers that they couldn’t get those done this afternoon. 

I returned from my new guest house I found 200baht a night called Sounantha guest house
+856 30 59 10 213
https://maps.app.goo.gl/srFyV8yuKcZ35xp67?g_st=ic

where I met the guy who was expecting according to advice from ASEAN Now to receive a non-O visa but got turned down. We walked back to the embassy so he could pick up his  passport there were lots of Russians but not so many Chinese as people had said had arrived yesterday but not more than 50 people.

So to wrap up I hope to pick up my passport with TR visa Monday. Rather enjoying the break now and saved the 3 k for the IO. 

I can recommend Pilgrims Cafe at the Mekong for food and a coffee shop. The burger I had was cheap and the best biggest burger ???? I’ve had in a long long while. 

Ok. People will say that this post is loaded with too much useful info and I apologise for that. When I asked for advise on how to get a TR last month here one vital piece of Info that was missed off from the scraps I got thrown was that when you go to Vientiane which is my local consulate you must book the appointment and when I found this out I was too late and my closest appointment was  next Tuesday leaving me out the country till next Wednesday night. I know it’s the TV way to bring the hate but I’ve done my bit and told you everything you need to know and haven’t left out a crucial part. Some people , most people come here to get advice not half the story “ what do you mean you didn’t know you have to book an appointment in advance to get a TR visa , where yer been ?”   Although I am most greatful of the advice I have had. I fix machines when I hand over a job I don’t leave out half the story and laugh at the next guy when he’s struggling , much love. 

yeah, i've skipped this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stevey said:

It was now I am enlightened ( not from anyone telling me here) that I also need a statement of bank account. I have had tourist visas before and never needed to show my vast wealth before.

Thanks for the update. I'm surprised you didn't know about the need for a bank statement, as you had checked the appointment site for Vientiane before (where this is also required). Great that you could sort it out on the spot.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

No it's not....

6. Spouse Thai passport not required ( not for spouse anyway )

- no mention of 1 year ME non O at all, how would you know they're available based on this info?

- no mention of fee for 1 year non O ( that you wouldn't know are available )

- no mention of name change doc for spouse from thai to western name that i was asked for 2 days ago

- only mentions 3 month visa

image.png.04af7c88763fe8ea5c567a32f7574a71.png

image.png.0f6ac487855767072adbe500a1bdd52a.png

The one year non-O multi-entry has NEVER EVER been listed on the Savannakhet website, you WRITE one year multi on the application and you hand them 5000baht

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1