Investing in Multimedia or Bitcoin?

Our group has the option of investing in a multimedia package that includes online forums, newsletters and youtube videos to a steady base of around 50,000 users, or investing in Bitcoin instead. 

In researching this we saw that Thaivisa was purchased for $2 million dollars in 2015 when Bitcoin was valued at $430, which would have been a purchase of 4,600BTC.

The current value would be $80 million, with a peak of $300 million last year.

Is the current value of Asean Now $80 million? Is it $300 million? Or is it less?

For a ten year investment package, which would you suggest our group invests in?

Yeah, neither. Media companies are in trouble monetising content. Crypto currencies are just like the fallen ones based on BS, and therefore practically worth nothing. All that gives them value is the power of hope, speculation and greed. But BTC is no less vulnerable than some that have failed recently.

Overall, crypto is only good for gambling, increasing electricity costs and destroying the planet. Unless you're illegal drugs or weapons trafficker, or some similar kind of criminal. Then crypto might be your currency of choice.

• Like 1

Are you looking to buy aseannews??

You are not looking to invest in Multimedia but in a company.  Do your due diligence ont he company.

ASEANNEWS was builit on the premise that it was going to be the number 1 place for ASEAN countries.

I am not sure of the prices and therfore will not speculate you really need to look at the business prospectus and not ask people here.

It is interesting that even the most banal of questions has

to have a "never-Trumper" response. So be it!

However, on to the topic. 

Ten years is a good investment horizon for Bitcoin if one is

prepared to ride the volatility. $17 000.00 or so represents

good value, currently. 

Cathie Wood, CEO of Ark Invest, believes Bitcoin will trade

at one million dollars per BTC by 2030. So what if they are

fifty percent wrong in their forecast?

Like all things, do your due diligence. Perhaps split your

investment between Bitcoin, which has unlimited upside

potential, and the online media offering you are looking at.

Make sure you understand what Bitcoin is all about, and

don't listen to the FUD which is out there from people who

don't know their a$ses from a hole in the ground.

It is true that the price of Bitcoin can go down from here,

but the downside is limited. It is possible that the bottom

is already in.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

So far her funds have performed remarkably badly with most of them losing money over the past 4+ years.

When one is backward-looking, it is hard to have a vision for the future. Pretty much all

investments have taken a knock in recent times, with the exception of the bond market,

perhaps. Check all the indexes and  the DXY - even the high-flying dollar is down.

Ark Invest is positioned mainly in technology stocks, one might say stocks which will

have enormous growth in the future, like AI, robotics, etc., and Bitcoin, which is the

future of money.

Sure, investors have taken some pain, but losses are only realised when one sells. The

smart money has stayed invested, and added to positions as the stock price has

fallen. Their faith will be rewarded as day follows night.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

1 hour ago, allanos said:

When one is backward-looking, it is hard to have a vision for the future. Pretty much all

investments have taken a knock in recent times, with the exception of the bond market,

perhaps. Check all the indexes and  the DXY - even the high-flying dollar is down.

Sure everything got a beating recently but these are actively managed funds and got a much harder beating than the general market while not showing more upside before that. Her firms AUM went from over $50B to $12.6B in less than 2 years. Big Investors have pulled out and I can understand why.

Show me exactly why people should listen to her when it comes to predicting the price of Bitcoin. It's marketing, let's not kid ourselves.

Bitcoin, which is the future of money.

No, certainly not.

Edited by eisfeld

21 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Sure everything got a beating recently but these are actively managed funds and got a much harder beating than the general market while not showing more upside before that. Her firms AUM went from over $50B to $12.6B in something like 1.5 years. Big Investors have pulled out and I can understand why.

Show me exactly why people should listen to her when it comes to predicting the price of Bitcoin. It's marketing, let's not kid ourselves.

No, certainly not.

I suppose the question which follows, then, is where did these savvy "big investors" put

their money for an above-average return and to recoup losses? Gold is going nowhere,

and fiat, given the high-inflation environment, is a total loss-maker. Good yields anywhere

are difficult, if not impossible, to find. Even the housing market has taken a knock, so

property is not the answer, either.

As to the future of money, the world is changing - and quickly. If not Bitcoin, (which

both the SEC and the CME say is a commodity, and rightly so), which other crypto,

which you say you favour, is the answer? Pretty much all of the 20 000+ altcoins out

there are securities with absolutely no future whatsoever.

All-controlling CFTC's are in the pipeline from the Fed, the Bank of England, the 

European Central Bank, and already trialed in China. What then? I shall prefer to

keep most of my cash in Bitcoin and take my chances.

55 minutes ago, allanos said:

I suppose the question which follows, then, is where did these savvy "big investors" put

their money for an above-average return and to recoup losses? Gold is going nowhere,

and fiat, given the high-inflation environment, is a total loss-maker. Good yields anywhere

are difficult, if not impossible, to find. Even the housing market has taken a knock, so

property is not the answer, either.

Don't think the institutionals expect to make profits during that time. But they pulled out before the worst hit and pretty much all the stuff you listed would have far out performed ARK, including sitting on cash and just eating the inflation.

As to the future of money, the world is changing - and quickly. If not Bitcoin, (which

both the SEC and the CME say is a commodity, and rightly so), which other crypto,

which you say you favour, is the answer? Pretty much all of the 20 000+ altcoins out

there are securities with absolutely no future whatsoever

I don't think the right crypto currency has arrived yet. But Bitcoin doesn't even try to be a replacement for money at this point. Deflationary, slow and inefficient/expensive. Just. Can't. Work. They had no meaningful developments in the past 10 years to fix it. They clearly have settled trying to be a store of value. The billions of dollars invested in miners will do their best to keep it that way.  And if it were a replacement for money then it would by definition be a <deleted>ty investment because it would be like sitting on cash...

All-controlling CFTC's are in the pipeline from the Fed, the Bank of England, the 

European Central Bank, and already trialed in China. What then? I shall prefer to

keep most of my cash in Bitcoin and take my chances.

Do you meaby mean CBDCs? You are aware that the vast majority of the currency transactions nowerdays already are digital, yes?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pomchop said:

Buy the new trump tokens...what could possibly go wrong when such an honest upstanding man is pushing them to his kool aide crew at only $99 each....and laughing all the way to the bank at the suckers.

I am wondering if the promises of dinner with the great man, golf on one of his properties, or accommodation at one of his resorts will actually be honored.

$99 is a lot to pay for a McDonalds burger and a Diet Coke.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am wondering if the promises of dinner with the great man, golf on one of his properties, or accommodation at one of his resorts will actually be honored.

$99 is a lot to pay for a McDonalds burger and a Diet Coke.

I think you need to buy 45 of them for the dinner and they sold 45,000 in total, so that’s at most 1,000 people coming to dinner.

He will probably do a gala dinner, so you will pay $4,455 to attend an event with 999 other people where Trump will ramble about how they stole the election. What a bargain…

6 minutes ago, lkn said:

I think you need to buy 45 of them for the dinner and they sold 45,000 in total, so that’s at most 1,000 people coming to dinner.

He will probably do a gala dinner, so you will pay $4,455 to attend an event with 999 other people where Trump will ramble about how they stole the election. What a bargain…

You mean there are 1000 people still that stupid? With that much money to blow on a dinner?

I've spotted a spelling error, it should be galah dinner. Aussie slang.

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No idea why people give her any credibility

It often seems like crypto proponents will give credibility to anyone who is bullish on crypto, despite their terrible track record or absurd statements.

Cathie Wood is not that much different from Michael Saylor, who is also pretty “out there” but still brought on CNBC to talk up bitcoin, despite his current investment in the coin being down 45%.

19 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Don't think the institutionals expect to make profits during that time. But they pulled out before the worst hit and pretty much all the stuff you listed would have far out performed ARK, including sitting on cash and just eating the inflation.

I don't think the right crypto currency has arrived yet. But Bitcoin doesn't even try to be a replacement for money at this point. Deflationary, slow and inefficient/expensive. Just. Can't. Work. They had no meaningful developments in the past 10 years to fix it. They clearly have settled trying to be a store of value. The billions of dollars invested in miners will do their best to keep it that way.  And if it were a replacement for money then it would by definition be a <deleted>ty investment because it would be like sitting on cash...

Do you meaby mean CBDCs? You are aware that the vast majority of the currency transactions nowerdays already are digital, yes?

Did you mean nowadays?

I did, indeed, mean to write CBDC's; thank you for pointing out the error.

Yes, I am aware that currency transactions are digital. However, there is a

world of difference between that and what CBDC's will be capable of in the

future. If you think 1984, you ain't seen nothin', yet!

Did you mean nowadays?

Did you mean "CBDCs" (no apostrophe)? Let's not play stupid games.

Yes, I am aware that currency transactions are digital. However, there is a

world of difference between that and what CBDC's will be capable of in the

future. If you think 1984, you ain't seen nothin', yet!

Going a bit too much off topic imho. OP is asking what he should invest in.

Given that he is an unsophisticated investor (not using that as a negative term) I would suggest he invest in something easier to understand and with relatively low risk, something passive which in the long term will likely result in decent gains. Maybe OP can also state what the groups appetite for risk is. The Youtube option doesn't sound great because they probably would have to actively be involved in the business and it didn't sound like it has growth ("steady base"). Plus 50k users is not that much on social media.

5 hours ago, allanos said:

However, there is a world of difference between that and what CBDC's will be capable of in the future

Sure, you can dream up some dystopia, but try actually read what the various working groups have said about the topic, and you will find that mostly they are puzzled as to why people keep bringing it up, as they see CBDCs as a solution in search of a problem.

The most concrete “problem” I have seen described is the reliance on private money, which to some extend could be eliminated by giving people direct access to central banks’ balance sheets, but I am not sure how credit would work in such system, and I have a hard time seeing it as dystopian to try and reduce people’s reliance on banks.

On 12/17/2022 at 1:19 PM, eisfeld said:

Did you mean "CBDCs" (no apostrophe)? Let's not play stupid games.

Going a bit too much off topic imho. OP is asking what he should invest in.

Given that he is an unsophisticated investor (not using that as a negative term) I would suggest he invest in something easier to understand and with relatively low risk, something passive which in the long term will likely result in decent gains. Maybe OP can also state what the groups appetite for risk is. The Youtube option doesn't sound great because they probably would have to actively be involved in the business and it didn't sound like it has growth ("steady base"). Plus 50k users is not that much on social media.

You take yourself far too seriously. You should get out more!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, lkn said:

Sure, you can dream up some dystopia, but try actually read what the various working groups have said about the topic, and you will find that mostly they are puzzled as to why people keep bringing it up, as they see CBDCs as a solution in search of a problem.

The most concrete “problem” I have seen described is the reliance on private money, which to some extend could be eliminated by giving people direct access to central banks’ balance sheets, but I am not sure how credit would work in such system, and I have a hard time seeing it as dystopian to try and reduce people’s reliance on banks.

I see the insidious potential for even further government control of their populace.

The "problem" has already been determined by governments, especially by

left of centre or communist ones, which are working on the solutions as we write.

It will be interesting to see what major banking institutions will have to say if and

when they are cut out of ongoing profit-making potential.

• Haha 1