Is it really possible to be here with 6 years overstay

6 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

No, that's absolutely not a smart question. Rather the opposite. It's just showing that you are completely incapable of understanding a situation outside of your personal case.

My personal case? Really man? I am thinking about children and a wife that might be left behind with no support. A real grown up man, do not go to a country with mostly poor people and do like he want and leave. That´s not a man in my eyes. It´s a fly, that should be squeezed. What you managed here, was to make a complete fool out of yourself.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Assuming your home country social net supports your widow and children adequately should you die unexpectedly (which most countries do not) that would support the proposition that you should wait until you are about 60 years old to have a family. Of course, you should have life insurance once you start a family, but there is no guarantee that the life insurance company will be able to pay out if you die during a financial crisis.

Yes, one more! Go to extreme situations, just to be right. Good job! Did you think long time about that one?

Edited by Gottfrid

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

So you accept that there is a limit to just how much of a "safety net" people can build up. Therefore just how big that safety net should be is a subjective measure.

There are plenty of people who started their adventure here with a nest-egg that would have seemed like more than plenty to the average onlooker. But bad luck doesn't just happen to the unprepared. It can strike anybody at any time. A family emergency here, a medical bill there, an investment or two taking a bad turn... things can go south very quickly. I personally think these people deserve a bit of compassion, as opposed to apathetic "I told you so"s from gloating know-it-alls.

Yeah, anyway, you know. I told you so.

6 hours ago, Marsupienemi said:

Have you ever lost a job in your life?
And depending on your age, it may take longer or shorter to find one.
Do you know that when you leave the company, your Work Visa expires after one week?
I believe that before posting on forums, you and many others should take the time to think, gain perspective, and stop systematically judging based on your situation.
And by the way, if there's one thing I've learned with time, age and experience, it's to be careful not to make hasty judgments about others. It's so easy.

Yes, and it´s also easy to talk out of your hat. All the works I have had in life, have always been supported by a back-up plan. Have taken me 1-3 days to be back on same level again after losing one work. Have happened about 6 times in Thailand and maybe around 15-20 all life. Sometimes my own company, other times just get on a new one.

So, yes! I can make judgement about other people, that never think more than the nose reach. So, now go learn something new. Seems to me, you only learn info you really never understood.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and it´s also easy to talk out of your hat. All the works I have had in life, have always been supported by a back-up plan. Have taken me 1-3 days to be back on same level again after losing one work. Have happened about 6 times in Thailand and maybe around 15-20 all life. Sometimes my own company, other times just get on a new one.

So, yes! I can make judgement about other people, that never think more than the nose reach. So, now go learn something new. Seems to me, you only learn info you really never understood.

Can I ask you what is your domain of expertise? Are you talking about a permanent job or are you a Freelancer (talking about clients, projects...)
Once again, because your situation is allowing you to be back on the same level in 1 to 3 days, then it should be the same for everyone? Come on, I don't believe you are 100% honest. 
For example: You are a database expert working for Microsoft in Bkk. The back up plan would be to be in touch with recruiters to always be aware of the opportunities, the salary you can expect...
But it's not that simple because it's a very small network and apparently it's hard to keep things discreet.
However, I totally agree with you on "who never thinks more than the nose reaches"
Several times I alerted people who, after losing their job, said: "I'm going on vacation and I'll look for a job afterwards", then they spent all their money, and didn't find a job quickly (with in addition a lack of skills to properly search the web) and then... forced to return to their country of origin.
I am fully aware that a lot of people who come to Thailand are there to party and meet girls and put their work on the back burner. These people do not live in Thailand but survive in Thailand and disappear quite quickly. I looked for a long time for partners to develop my projects more quickly and I gave up. I now stay away from them, they are just a waste of (precious) time. 
I dare to believe that a person who has founded a home is a little more responsible, but no one is 100% immune and we cannot say that the situation is improving.
In fact, what I blame you for is being so categorical when you don't know the details of his situation.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wasn't asking for names, obviously, but you didn't give any information about your personal experiences of emergency care that was refused, or the circumstances in general, and you referred to two, not "so many" so I'll read into that that you do not personally know of "so many" after all.

What exactly is emergency care?

Put you in a gurney and give you an iv drip,  no medication? Almost any hospital will do this. Cost: couple of hundred baht. 

Give you paracetamol? Yes, they will do this. Cost: 10B

Do an X-ray? Probably. Cost: less than 1000

If they see that you need a CT scan? Cost maybe 10000? They will rarely do this. They want the money first.

If you need emergency  surgery,  like brain surgery because you have  increased  intracranial pressure, or a heart catheterization because you have a heart attack? Rarely will they do this without seeing the money first. 

They will not let you die on their door steps.  They will transfer you to a government hospital before you die once it's clear you can't cough up the money NOW.  If you don't survive the transport that's your problem. 

So, yes, emergency care is refused regularly. 

And, yes, I am speaking from personal experience with lots of cases, not just 2 or 3.

• Haha 1

i really dont know how many years ago, i would say 10 yrs ago or something like that. i went to bangkok for some reason. went out for some drinks. i saw this farang on the street with a sign on his hand saying 'please give me a job, im doing logistics and marketing' he was sitting on the street.. nothing different then beggars. i mean it. some people put money in to the can next to him. his clothes were all damaged. cave man facial hair.. 

of course i cannot be sure of that but i dont think he has a visa or a passport. probably sold the passport for food. 

another thing is police was probably 100m away from him. there is no way they are not aware of him or not saw him. that night i saw how a ;person can be desperate. felt sorry for the guy i felt like well its what you did to yourself. but on the other hand i was like who knows what he had...

i hope that man found a peaceful solution and an end.

just wanted to share the story

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

My personal case? Really man? I am thinking about children and a wife that might be left behind with no support. A real grown up man, do not go to a country with mostly poor people and do like he want and leave. That´s not a man in my eyes. It´s a fly, that should be squeezed. What you managed here, was to make a complete fool out of yourself.

The subject is losing a job and being able to find a replacement before your savings run out.
My point is to say that depending on your field, it may not be easy to get a new one quickly, especially in a foreign country. And that includes expatriates with excellent financial conditions.

Starting a family is another matter. And few are the people who can be certain of keeping their job for life or changing it with the snap of a finger. And of course not everyone has golden parachutes.
But if I follow your reasoning, very few people can found one according to your criteria. Especially among youth. And there again, for the sake of intellectual honesty, I have often been shocked by the number of couples who have children without even realizing what it costs and who enter the spiral of over-indebtedness because they cannot end the month with their income.
I agree that a lot of people are oblivious, it's that much easier for me to say that, because I've never married and never had children and one of the reasons was a lack of confidence in the future. Mine but especially that of my possible children.

Edited by Marsupienemi
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

they will not renew it if you dont have a valid visa 

The passport is the property of the state that issues it and they apply the rules they want.
I think if you say that, it's probably the case at your country's embassy, but I know of another one (which is in the 10 most developed countries) where they don't say nothing.

7 minutes ago, Marsupienemi said:

(which is in the 10 most developed countries)

with all respect, if any country embassy accepts to give you a new passport without checking your legal staying in thailand (via stamps or visa) doing the worst developed thing. 

then any illegal person can go to the these 10 most developed country embassy and get a new passport without any problem. wow... 

thats crazy. 

thanks god i can be safe and my embassy can lead me to the right way because they are checking my status if i want to do anything with my passport.

non-developed countries 1 - 0 10 most developed countries.. 

Edited by problemfarang
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

with all respect, if any country embassy accepts to give you a new passport without checking your legal staying in thailand (via stamps or visa) doing the worst developed thing. 

then any illegal person can go to the these 10 most developed country embassy and get a new passport without any problem. wow... 

thats crazy. 

thanks god i can be safe and my embassy can lead me to the right way because they are checking my status if i want to do anything with my passport.

non-developed countries 1 - 0 10 most developed countries.. 

lol 
Honestly, I don't really have an opinion on this as I've never taken the time to think about the pros and cons of either as I'm not concerned. I was also surprised when I found out. That's all.
I was just adding info on the subject, not sharing my thoughts.
Just to correct a misunderstanding: I know 1 country ranked in the 10 most developed countries that does this. But I didn't say they all did.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

they will not renew it if you dont have a valid visa 

What, so if your passport and visa expired , then you would be stuck in the Country for ever ? 

I don't think that its  any concern of the passport issuing Country whether you have a valid visa or not 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What, so if your passport and visa expired , then you would be stuck in the Country for ever ? 

I don't think that its  any concern of the passport issuing Country whether you have a valid visa or not 

well you need to answer this question.. why your visa expired.....?! (thats the topic)

then answer this.. you go to your embassy and ask for a new passport, it doesnt matter its expire or other reason. 

and now imagine they give you a new passport without checking... you have a valid visa or not.. they need to check you are here legally or not. thats so normal.. 

i dont know you but normal people gonna think.. ops something is wrong here. 

now another story you might mentioning. maybe you want to say your passport and visa expiring in the same time? well its totally your fault. you need to follow up this. arrange the timeline. 

i seriously dont want to believe that ANY embassy can issue a new passport without checking you are here legally or not?! thats that simple. and i also cannot understand how you are ok with this unless you are an illegal person LOL

there is NO way you can stuck in a country.. lol 

Edited by problemfarang

40 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i seriously dont want to believe that ANY embassy can issue a new passport without checking you are here legally or not?! thats that simple. and i also cannot understand how you are ok with this unless you are an illegal person LOL

I have no definite knowledge on this specifically but, in general, I do not expect a citizen's country's officials to do anything to enforce the laws of another country without that country's request (and, only then, if there are friendly relations between them). It is certainly possible that my country's embassy has an agreement with the Thai government to assist in enforcing its immigration laws, but I have never actually seen any evidence of this. In general, the consular officials simply say that they cannot interfere in the legal affairs of another country. My guess would be that they would provide a new replacement passport and, if they notice you are on overstay, advise you to leave.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Then you just pay the fine and get stamped back into Thailand.

Decades ago, probably. Today, as soon as the Lao authorities became aware that you had illegally entering Laos from Thailand, they would fine you and then hand you over to the Thai authorities who, seeing you are on overstay in Thailand, would arrest you. You never legally left Thailand and never legally entered Laos.

On 12/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What would you do if you had already a year or two overstay and you want to stay in Thailand, i.e. because of your family. I think with that overstay there is no legal way to stay here or even go away and return sometime soon.

So I guess some guys just stay and hope for the best.

Sneak into Cambodia and leave from there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would you ever justify sticking your nose into his business by reporting him to Immigration apart from the pointless and vindictive "if I have to do it he should also" attitude?

+1

Shameful that they feel so entitled as to turn other people in on a matter which is completely not their business.

Stomach turning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 10:31 PM, proton said:

It has affected us as they made us keep the cash longer in the bank to try and stop the fraudsters, obviously it did not work. Nothing sad about getting rid of people who have no right to be here.

And who died and made you God?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What would you do if you had already a year or two overstay and you want to stay in Thailand, i.e. because of your family. I think with that overstay there is no legal way to stay here or even go away and return sometime soon.

So I guess some guys just stay and hope for the best.

I think if I was in that position I would do whatever was necessary to get myself back legal

Fortunately for me, I can and do keep all that side of my life clean and tidy and within the rules.

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Genius , no one has ever thought of that before .

You should keep that idea quiet , just incase you need to do that yourself one day

Won't happen, I stay completely within the immigration rules.

I was merely answering a hypothetical question when somebody asked what we would do if we had family and kids here, we was in a mess and needed to gain entry back into Thailand and seek legal entry without the 5 year ban.

I wouldnt fancy the Laos option and feel you would stand more chance with the Cambodians.

Your attempt at sarcasm is noted by the way????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andygrr said:

If he told you he is on a 6 year overstay, he must be crazy and have a big mouth. My guess is they will be hunting him after this post. 

That's true.  He's so proud of it that he's starting to brag about it. Which will be his undoing. Sometimes its hard to hold back your accomplishments though. 

• Haha 1