Could this corruption scandal signal the end of the EU ?

Social Media

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The agreement said acting in good faith.

Sign an Agreement and promise to have the infrastructure and supporting processes and procedures in place within six months. Instead, renege on the deal almost before the ink has dried and state that they want to renegotiate the Agreement.

Remind you of anything? That's the virtuous UK government of Johnson in case you had forgotten.

Good faith?

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, we all know that something less than a week old isn't news any more. ????

Let's just brush it under the carpet. It's all terribly embarrassing for the Europhiles isn't it.

How about yesterday? Is that too old as well? I don't believe this has been reported yet, It seems more and more people are getting caught up in this huge scandal. Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

https://www.ft.com/content/50390b9e-3ac5-4898-a5a2-f2f9062bd174

image.png.c5bbc9dbae23801724bd6524bc8cb806.png

Who's trying to brush it under the carpet? No one and certainly not the EU, as confirmed by your previous posts. Your are making it up!

Good to see some real news and not the same old ones posted over and over! Thanks for informing us!

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Unlike certain members of this forum, they are indeed acknowledging the scale, and the implications of this scandal. 

It does remind me a bit of Prayut's regular acknowledgements of corruption and plans to stamp it out though... It would seem Thailand and The EU have a lot more in common in terms of the way they do business than I first thought. No wonder they plan to move closer.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/40023121

image.png.2224975da8dcad4a4b582af1bdec89f3.png

Thanks for posting that link. I wasn't aware of this. Good news for both the EU and Thailand.

Any update on the UK-US trade deal that we were promised now that we've left the EU?

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Sign an Agreement and promise to have the infrastructure and supporting processes and procedures in place within six months. Instead, renege on the deal almost before the ink has dried and state that they want to renegotiate the Agreement.

Remind you of anything? That's the virtuous UK government of Johnson in case you had forgotten.

Good faith?

Off topic. Feel free to continue this in one of the Brexit threads.

This one is about EU corruption. So back on topic.

Good to see Hungary offering some solutions to the corruption we are seeing in the EU.

https://hungarytoday.hu/hungary-has-a-plan-to-reform-the-embattled-european-parliament/

I'd have to agree with this point.

image.png.992752d49cebc312a9774356327d9789.png

Strong words indeed. Mutiny in the ranks?

image.png.79c1925b7161c871d6d985bf4d2002d5.png

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

Thanks for posting that link. I wasn't aware of this. Good news for both the EU and Thailand.

Any update on the UK-US trade deal that we were promised now that we've left the EU?

You're welcome. The 2 parliaments certainly have a lot in common in the way the conduct themselves so I am sure they will get on very well. Lots of deals to be done, especially with all the incentives on offer, I am sure of that.????

Maybe we can keep this on topic and discuss UK-US trade in a more relevant thread?

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Off topic. Feel free to continue this in one of the Brexit threads.

This one is about EU corruption. So back on topic.

Good to see Hungary offering some solutions to the corruption we are seeing in the EU.

https://hungarytoday.hu/hungary-has-a-plan-to-reform-the-embattled-european-parliament/

From the Orban government! ????

3 minutes ago, candide said:

From the Orban government! ????

Indeed. Imagine that, lectures on morality and integrity from the Orban government. Makes you realize how the EU's reputation has tanked.

Fortunately, UK taxpayers money is no longer being diverted to assisting these type of EU member states. 

58 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You're welcome. The 2 parliaments certainly have a lot in common in the way the conduct themselves so I am sure they will get on very well. Lots of deals to be done, especially with all the incentives on offer, I am sure of that.????

Maybe we can keep this on topic and discuss UK-US trade in a more relevant thread?

Maybe don't post a link about an EU-Thailand deal in the first place then.

Anything new to add or can we expect  links to China Today, North Korea news, etc restating exactly the same article?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

What solutions are they? I read the article and glanced through Orban's speech but can't spot any proposals. Perhaps you could spell them out for me?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Again, perhaps you could give some examples? 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

It would take more than one member state to launch a mutiny but, what's your point? One member state appears to be unhappy? That's unfortunate. However, if Hungary feels so strongly about things they could always leave. After all, they need only look at the example of Brexit to see what opportunities present themselves outside of the EU.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. Imagine that, lectures on morality and integrity from the Orban government. Makes you realize how the EU's reputation has tanked.

Fortunately, UK taxpayers money is no longer being diverted to assisting these type of EU member states. 

I imagine! What a lame reaction from a government which is going to get EU funding cut over corruption. I wonder who could it take it seriously?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, candide said:

I imagine! What a lame reaction from a government which is going to get EU funding cut over corruption. I wonder who could it take it seriously?

Seems all is not well at the EU. Corruption, dissent, recession, energy crisis.

It's a good job there's no mechanism in place to remove the bigwigs or they'd be toast.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Maybe don't post a link about an EU-Thailand deal in the first place then.

Anything new to add or can we expect  links to China Today, North Korea news, etc restating exactly the same article?

Let's see. I'll keep my ear to the ground for you. 

Glad you appreciate my efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's a good job there's no mechanism in place to remove the bigwigs or they'd be toast.

One EU Vice President has already been removed, other MEP's will follow

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RayC said:

What solutions are they? I read the article and glanced through Orban's speech but can't spot any proposals. Perhaps you could spell them out for me?

Again, perhaps you could give some examples? 

It would take more than one member state to launch a mutiny but, what's your point? One member state appears to be unhappy? That's unfortunate. However, if Hungary feels so strongly about things they could always leave. After all, they need only look at the example of Brexit to see what opportunities present themselves outside of the EU.

Why would they leave? Hungary has a great deal. They get a shedload of cash but do nothing but complain.

They're the Harry and Markle of the EU. I actually hope Hungary stays ????.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

One EU Vice President has already been removed, other MEP's will follow

Small fry. Try removing the big fish. 

But yes, I meant removed by direct democratic process. Not removed like Prayut might remove a problematic underlying.

Just now, JonnyF said:

Small fry. Try removing the big fish. 

But yes, I meant removed by direct democratic process. Not removed like Prayut might remove a problematic underlying.

You said.

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You could acknowledge you were completely wrong or continue deflecting, a Vice president is not small fry and there will be more MEP's to follow and possibly other Vice Presidents

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Remove whom for what, exactly?

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

You said.

You could acknowledge you were completely wrong or continue deflecting, a Vice president is not small fry and there will be more MEP's to follow and possibly other Vice Presidents

Well, shooting someone in the head is a mechanism for removing someone.

I was referring to direct Democratic processes that involve the citizens of a country/union having a direct say in the election of the most senior politicians.

The EU is several steps away from direct Democracy, by design. Hence, the corruption and "selected " officials being removed by other selected officials.

A massive stitch up which is starting to unfold. These things take time. The direction of travel is clear. It's a slow burn, but compelling viewing. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I was referring to direct Democratic processes that involve the citizens of a country/union having a direct say in the election of the most senior politicians.

The EU is several steps away from direct Democracy, by design. Hence, the corruption and "selected " officials being removed by other selected officials.

A massive stitch up which is starting to unfold. These things take time. The direction of travel is clear. It's a slow burn, but compelling viewing. 

This topic is about MEPs and they are directly elected.

Anyway, who should be removed exactly and for which reason?

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

It shrank in the 3 months preceding october, though, didn't it. And no one is predicting growth for the future. Quite the contrary.

And it's funny. You choose economic growth as the factor to show the UK is doing OK and Inflation to show that the EU isn't. Why the inconsistency? You hiding something?

You reallyl want to claim that the UK is doing no worse than the EU? And what's especially significant is that in economically comparable countries, the middle and working classes fare far better in those nations than they do in the UK. The only advanced economy that still hasn't recovered from the 2010 recession.

And the EU is facing the problem of corruption head on. It could be a big scandal. The EU should now be very grateful that the UK left. As it shows what the consequences of leaving are.

The EU is facing this particular problem of corruption head on because it has been exposed and has no other course.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Disciplinary procedures are written in their contracts, if they break their code of conduct they can get removed, what more do you need?

You were referring to them getting removed. Your quote:

"It's a good job there's no mechanism in place to remove the bigwigs or they'd be toast."

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Good to see things moving swiftly with the extradition process in this "major" corruption scandal.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/12/20/italian-court-approves-extradition-in-european-parliaments-qatargate-case

image.png.24515daaddbc6935bab3ff1bd5a80113.png

Yes. It appears that the European authorities are keen to get to the bottom of this asap.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They better have a diving bell. This runs DEEP.

You should alert the Belgium police. I'm sure that they are keen to gather as much evidence as possible. 

Can you share any of your evidence on a public forum?

1 minute ago, RayC said:

You should alert the Belgium police. I'm sure that they are keen to gather as much evidence as possible. 

When he goes on in this vein with unsupported allegations, my advice is don't feed the...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yes, it's been a big plus for the UK economy. You've made some ridiculous comments in your time, but this one has got to be up there in the top 10.

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

I've posted about 10 links in this thread already. Would you consider suitcases of cash as evidence? How about confessions?

https://www.ft.com/content/e3bfd079-5cc7-4f64-9db6-941ca9d5c3d0

https://www.dw.com/en/reports-eu-corruption-scandal-politician-partly-confesses/a-64168454

• Like 1