Could this corruption scandal signal the end of the EU ?

Social Media

35 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So what's the total now? 3 or 4 serving MEPs out of 705. Three (or four?) too many for sure, but hardly a big enough number to indicate that the parliament as a whole is corrupt.

Btw: Did you notice the political affiliation of Ms. Zambelli? Member of a party that until recently wanted Italy to leave the EU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RayC said:

So what's the total now? 3 or 4 serving MEPs out of 705. Three (or four?) too many for sure, but hardly a big enough number to indicate that the parliament as a whole is corrupt.

Btw: Did you notice the political affiliation of Ms. Zambelli? Member of a party that until recently wanted Italy to leave the EU.

And it's significant that other major European right wing parties have also done a U-turn and now favor continued membership in the EU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And it's significant that other major European right wing parties have also done a U-turn and now favor continued membership in the EU.

I'm unsure if that's a good or bad thing.

Beware the enemy within.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Maybe the promise of tasty EU gravy is enough to override the affiliations of all parties?

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Maybe the promise of tasty EU gravy is enough to override the affiliations of all parties?

Better in than out eh, Nauseus? Glad that you have seen the light????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I don't think this was a devious ploy on their part. They want to win elections. And EU membership is now very popular.

Amongst the members with smaller economies it is. Common sense really. They get more out of it than they put in.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

How does that make my post false? 

Please post evidence as to why the respondants answered as they did.

How does that make your post false. Let me remind you of what I wrote and your reply:

image.png.9509fb5fbd9d0e3b96e45e07bef32d7f.png

Now you make unrealistic and irrelevant demands to deflect from the fact that what you claimed was false.

Greece is certainly one of the smaller nations. Hungary is the EU country that has  received the most subsidies per capita in the UE. 2 small countries, aren't they?

You've got nothing.

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

How does that make your post false. Let me remind you of what I wrote and your reply:

image.png.9509fb5fbd9d0e3b96e45e07bef32d7f.png

Now you make unrealistic and irrelevant demands to deflect from the fact that what you claimed was false.

Greece is certainly one of the smaller nations. Hungary is the EU country that has  received the most subsidies per capita in the UE. 2 small countries, aren't they?

You've got nothing.

I mentioned countries will smaller economies. Not smaller nations.

I've re read my post and I can't see where I said "all" or "every" or even "only".

I'd be grateful if you could now offer the information I asked for to back up your assumption that my comment is false.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

I've re read my post and I can't see where I said "all" or "every" or even "only".

I'd be grateful if you could now offer the information I asked for to back up your assumption that my comment is false.

Thanks.

Your statement was at best ambiguous. ("Amongst the members with smaller economies it is. Common sense really. They get more out of it than they put in."). 

You suggested that EU would be popular among smaller economies.  Literally, you did not exclude that EU may also be popular among larger economies (which is shown in the graph). However, you chose to highlight the case of smaller economies.

1 hour ago, candide said:

Your statement was at best ambiguous. ("Amongst the members with smaller economies it is. Common sense really. They get more out of it than they put in."). 

You suggested that EU would be popular among smaller economies.  Literally, you did not exclude that EU may also be popular among larger economies (which is shown in the graph). However, you chose to highlight the case of smaller economies.

I didn't need to exclude and countries that were not included in my description as they were not the subject of my comment.

Instead of one calling my statement false, with no evidence to back it up, and one calling my post "ambiguous", it would have been a better option to give one's own opinions. 

Never mind.

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thanks.

Do you know of many polls where people are asked not only do they like  something but then break it down to why they like something? Yours is a patently unfulfillable request created only to give you a way to wriggle out of what you claimed in your original assertion. 

As for countries with smaller economies, Greece and Hungary certainly qualify in that regard. What did their level of approval of the EU look like?

What's more, three of the top five countries with the highest approval ratings of the EU are all highly economically developed and are net contributors to the EU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Do you know of many polls where people are asked not only do they like  something but then break it down to why they like something? Yours is a patently unfulfillable request created only to give you a way to wriggle out of what you claimed in your original assertion. 

As for countries with smaller economies, Greece and Hungary certainly qualify in that regard. What did their level of approval of the EU look like?

What's more, three of the top five countries with the highest approval ratings of the EU are all highly economically developed and are net contributors to the EU.

I have never denied anything you mention. I made a comment that you didn't like, called false but still haven't posted evidence to back your comment up.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I have never denied anything you mention. I made a comment that you didn't like, called false but still haven't posted evidence to back your comment up.

What don't you understand about the fact that two small countries with small economies don't have a very favorable view of the EU as compared to other countries  including highly developed ones. How does this not prove that there is no correlation between the wealth of an EU member and how favorably its citizenry views it?

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Not only have you edited a quote in a misleading or rather nonsensical way, but you offer absolutely no reasoning. Just an empty assertion. You've got nothing.

Going back to your original accusation of my post being false.

I would be grateful if you could offer evidence to prove your point.

Thanks.