Suvarnabhumi Immigration entry processing - Boarding pass required from your arrival flight. 18/12/2022

On 12/20/2022 at 1:23 AM, Lancelot01 said:

Providing a boarding pass with your passport has been a requirement of entry for several years.

Exactly. For many years now, and I'd guess starting as far back as 15 or so. And yes, I have been asked to provide it, and so as time went on as matter of routine I just presented the IO with the passport, TM-6 card and boarding pass in a single handover. Sometimes when I gave only the passport and TM-6, the officer would day, "Boarding pass?". "Oh, here." I saw them confirming info from the pass with the other two items

By the way, back in the day, believe it or not, some folks managed selling their air tickets, after going to the airport and checking in, and discreetly handing the boarding pass to the buyer of the ticket completing the transaction.. Obviously, the boarding pass and the buyer's passport names did not match. But those were different times. The buyer got on the plane, reached the destination and cleared entry formalities without issue. I don't think that would 'fly' these days. Your passport and boarding pass are checked together at several stages of a departure, transit and (sometimes) arrival.

Edited by rwilem

• 1 year later...

Strange that the requirement to present the boarding pass to IO on arrival is not on the list of requirements on the IATA Travel Center nor at the Thai Embassy.

Especially as this is not a common and known requirement.

I've never heard about such a requirement before and was never asked once to show a boarding pass (just maybe asked from where I was flying in).

• Agree 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:04 AM, DrJack54 said:

It has always been a requirement and unrelated to the suspension of the arrival card TM6 

Do you know if this requirement is listed somewhere ?

I'm wondered how a tourist should know about that as this is not common practice and is not listed as a requirement on the IATA System and also not at the Thai Embassy.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:23 AM, Lancelot01 said:

Poviding a boarding pass with your passport has been a requirement of entry for several years.

I was not aware of this requirenment. Never asked to show a boarding pass and also never saw a sign for this requirement.

Edited by Sato
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Sato said:

Do you know if this requirement is listed somewhere ?

I'm wondered how a tourist should know about that as this is not common practice and is not listed as a requirement on the IATA System and also not at the Thai Embassy.

Smart move is always to have it on your phone.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sato said:

Strange that the requirement to present the boarding pass to IO on arrival is not on the list of requirements on the IATA Travel Center nor at the Thai Embassy.

Especially as this is not a common and known requirement.

I've never heard about such a requirement before and was never asked once to show a boarding pass (just maybe asked from where I was flying in).

I think it was about, roughly the second half of 2019 the started asking for the actual boarding pass, just occasionally asked for the e ticket before that, but only shown as a requirement  in the immigration hall, and almost everyone patted there pockets or digging in there bag to find their one.

Edited by UKresonant
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 2:22 AM, Troy Tempest said:

Exactly correct!

I have been unfortunate enough to have lost luggage on several flights over my many years of travel.

The first thing they ask for is indeed your Boarding Pass to which they often stick your luggage receipt(s) at check-in....Sometimes they attached the luggage receipt(s) to your passport.

I have also lost luggage on 3 separate occasions when travelling long haul, never to be seen again.

I keep a GPS tracker in my suitcase.

I think the requirement to show the boarding pass of your incoming flight on entry has been there for a long time, whether it was asked for (seems definetely the case at Suvanabhumi for the last few years and it is indicated in large letters above the immigration booths) is another matter. With the old TM.6 you had to fill in the flight number and they might not check it.

But is it really so much trouble to keep it either in paper form or on your phone until you have passed immigration? People whine about everything here.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, stratocaster said:

A repeat post I made a while ago. Arrived at BKK and the first immigration hall was very busy. Did the trick of continuing to the next hall which was slightly less crowded. Arriving at the booth I offered my passport and boarding card to be told that this was the wrong immigration hall for this flight and was told to go to the other hall for processing.

When arriving on an intl. flight on a non-Thai airline -which usually dock at the western side of the terminal), I often bypass the immigration at the western side and walk on to the eastern side which is usually quieter. I have never had problems with this. In fact, when it is very busy at the western side staff often waves passengers on to the eastern side. So I am a bit surprised that they refused to process you.