Clutch and gears or automatic?

OneMoreFarang

Clutch and gears or automatic?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many times we have here discussions about little and a little bigger scooters and real bikes.

What do you prefer and maybe why?

Personally, I don't like automatic bikes. After some bigger bikes I bought my first 150cc bike in Bangkok. One of the must have feature for me was a clutch and gearbox.

Why? Because I like it.

I remember when I had a "big" bike the mechanic came with one of those scooters. He rode my bike and asked me if I know how to ride his scooter. I thought: yes, what is the problem. And then I couldn't even start it. Later someone explained to me I should have applied the brakes to be able to start it. Really? I never tried again those strange things.

It seems to me that many people who started with automatic bikes never ever switch to bikes with clutch and gears. I don't know if they don't know how to use the clutch or are too lazy or they need that hand to hold their phone or why.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, taotoo said:

I don't have a motorbike, but I voted for clutch/gears on a point of principle.

I'm interested in this topic. I prefer motorcycles to scooters but want to read opinions since automatic scooters are so ubiquitous in Thailand these days.

None of the poll questions suited me so I just voted the spoiler.

Edited by ozimoron

1 minute ago, HappyExpat57 said:

After years of riding Honda 110/125's, I just got a Click 160 automatic. I love it! I still occasionally find myself looking for the gear pedal with my left foot, but it's just easier.

Smooth easy riding and bullet proof. Very good acceleration too, all you need. Let the pis*sing contest begin?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I much prefer auto scooters now, I've done the big bike thing years ago, over rated for sure, but allows some guys to have a pis*sing match

Yes the Peeing matches have been taken over by the big scoots from what I see. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So what do you do to get from A to B? Go with a car (your own or a taxi)? Walk? Or use a motorcycle taxi?

When I arrived in Bangkok, I used motorcycle taxis for maybe two years. I learned a lot about all the little shortcuts and what they do and don't do before I bought my first bike.

And I bought it because I needed something convenient to travel. Riding myself or with motorcycle taxis? I choose to ride myself. If I have an accident, then I can blame myself and obviously all those other bad drivers and riders.

For longer trips a car might be an alternative. But if I ride i.e. to the fresh market 2km away a car doesn't make any sense because it's impossible to park anywhere near to that place.

I bought a car (with a manual transmission) when I sold my bike.  When possible I use the BTS/Subway though.

I'm okay with Automatic and Clutch, it used to be that I can never got the hang of the clutchless gears like on Honda Waves here and the likes, but once I got the hang of it, it's surprisingly very in control, you can still use engine braking and feather the 'clutch' with your heels unlike belt automatics, the wheels are bigger than automatics which rides better and any idiot in Thailand seem to be able to ride them

A bike bike and a scooter are, for me, as different as a plane or a train in terms of transport. They don't serve the same function but can both get you from A to B.

So, for a scooter, automatic every day of the week. For a big bike, clutch and gears of course. Only had 1 big bike here and sold it after a couple of years because I was hardly using it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

How do you know a real motorcyclist? He loves everything with two wheels. From a small Fino to turbo charged rockets. When the sight of a Honda Monkey fills your heart with joy the same way as it does with a Panigale V4. When the thrill of the racetrack, the mayham of riding off-road or gentle cruising through rural roads on a scooter makes you feel equally happy. That's when you truely love motorcycles.

Ok, I admit I don't like all bikes.

But then, I also don't like all female humans. I am only interested in cute slim girls legal age up to twentysomething. ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had been riding big bikes all my life, continued that after I moved to Thailand. Got taken out by a pickup going through a red light, spent a while in ICU and several weeks in hospital. Still would like to ride but the boss refuses to let me ride anything other than the click locally,

I love my scooter, so much more convenient for short trips round town and shopping.  Hate to think what life would be without it.

I can drive manual and automatic cars. Good luck to those who can drive bikes with a clutch and gears, that is too complicated for me.

I guess the manual versions mean one can do wheelstands, not interested. Tough enough surviving on Thai roads as it is.

• Like 1

Now ... electric (3000w/72v), so, automatic, with excellent torque.  I'd never go back to ICE.  Top end, not so good, but will do 90 kph if really wanting to, which I have no need to do, around town.

1st TH MB was Honda Sonic 125, clutch, and performance & top end much better than the 2nd TH MB, Honda Wave 125i, the 'semi automatic', clutchless geared type.  Easier & more relaxing to drive, but you do give up a lot.

Back in USA, Honda 750 & 900, real scooters, not these TH economic around town thingies, and basically, their only purpose.  And that's fine.  Never needed or wanted anything larger than the 900.

Edited by KhunLA