Clutch and gears or automatic?

OneMoreFarang

Clutch and gears or automatic?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think I've ridden a bike with an automatic transmission, so I can't really say. But I think part of the fun of riding is being able to match the engine speed and output with what you are doing or are about to do. I'm not sure how one would do that with an automatic. I suppose an electric bike with its instant torque would just as much fun, however.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Now ... electric (3000w/72v), so, automatic, with excellent torque.  I'd never go back to ICE.  Top end, not so good, but will do 90 kph if really wanting to, which I have no need to do, around town.

1st TH MB was Honda Sonic 125, clutch, and performance & top end much better than the 2nd TH MB, Honda Wave 125i, the 'semi automatic', clutchless geared type.  Easier & more relaxing to drive, but you do give up a lot.

Back in USA, Honda 750 & 900, real scooters, not these TH economic around town thingies, and basically, their only purpose.  And that's fine.  Never needed or wanted anything larger than the 900.

Old school petrolheads would find the change difficult certainly something for the future.

Automatic any time. But for me it depends on the intended use on how important I consider having automatic:

- Bangkok traffic, automatic is a must

- In cities with less traffic or anywhere else, automatic is still nice to have, but something with an auto clutch like a Honda Wave is Ok, clutch is more annoying than having to shift gears.

- On a bike mainly used for touring outside of cities, automatic is still nice to have, but has low priority for me

I have big bikes (1200 c.c.), medium bikes (800 c.c.), small bikes (310 c.c.) and automatic scooters. I ride them all and enjoy them all.

But - what about my newest bike with an up and down quickshifter? I can ride using the clutch or ride without using it as I choose - problem solved!

19 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

After years of riding Honda 110/125's, I just got a Click 160 automatic. I love it! I still occasionally find myself looking for the gear pedal with my left foot, but it's just easier.

I've just bought one, the black and white one, looks the canines conker's. Great acceleration.

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Just wondering how you got a M/C license was it on an automatic ? 

Clutch and damn hard to manage that on a 750cc, as having to go thru a slow 'S' turn on the course during the test.   Tester said, I want you to hit 3rd gear while doing.   I'm like, you do know this is a 750, so I just shifted 2nd to 2nd, as he was too far away to tell.   Obviously he didn't ride MBs.

Must people must take the test on 125s, as my brother did, after taking a driving course.  This was in the USA.

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I've just bought one, the black and white one, looks the canines conker's. Great acceleration.

That is a MAJOR concern of mine! They are truly zippy little machines, and I find myself driving a little more aggressively than I would with the older, slower models.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, I understand when people ride automatic scooters. As far as I know they are basically used to get from A to B and that's it.

But we had threads in this forum when people wanted to buy a "big" bike (let's say 400cc and more) and they wanted automatic, because they never used a clutch before.

I think for "big" bikes it is a good idea to have more control over the bike and that includes gears. Braking or accelerating with gears gives the rider more control - at least I think so. And yes, I understand that this more control is not really necessary for the trip to the next market. 

In the case of a big bike, yes, need engine braking, ergo need gears.

My first m'bike was a Matchless, and graduated to a Honda 550. No problem using gears.

In LOS I rode a Click to get A to B, and happy to have auto.

• Like 1

I firmly believe, that the use Automatic / semi Auto Gears has added sharply to the sad demise of many people on the Roads.

Not just for Bikes, but for Cars and other Vehicles as well.

The last option of the census really says it all.

With free hands, its all too easy to Google Etc while on the move  = Lazy and Dangerous.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the case of a big bike, yes, need engine braking, ergo need gears.

That reminds me of riding a 250cc 4-stroke bike from my friend for the first time.

I had myself an 80cc 2-stroke - no engine braking at all. When I got off the throttle on that 250 it felt like braking hard on the 2-stroke...

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I firmly believe, that the use Automatic / semi Auto Gears has added sharply to the sad demise of many people on the Roads.

With free hands, its all too easy to Google Etc while on the move  = Lazy and Dangerous.

YES

Obviously it is possible and IMHO advisable to use two hands on the handlebar on all bikes. But it seems now many riders, mostly teenagers, never take their phone out of their hand. Sitting with phone, walking with phone, riding with phone, I wonder if they do sex with one hand on the phone. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Well auto has been about some 70 years before google. ????

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Or standard and automatic. 'Pends where you hail from.

Given that most motorbikes sold are probably CVT scooters these days, maybe 'standard' is not so clear. Dunno.

I think it makes the most sense to use 'auto', 'semi-auto' and 'manual'. Though some blur the line even there.

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Or real bikes and girly bikes ???? 

I guess my DCT Africa Twin is a girly bike then. Oh well... ????

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just wondering how you got a M/C license was it on an automatic ? 

Yes, in Australia and Thailand. AFAIK there is no requirement to be able to drive with gears and a clutch on two or four wheels anymore. Except heavy vehicles, perhaps.

15 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Given that most motorbikes sold are probably CVT scooters these days, maybe 'standard' is not so clear. Dunno.

I think it makes the most sense to use 'auto', 'semi-auto' and 'manual'. Though some blur the line even there.

I guess my DCT Africa Twin is a girly bike then. Oh well... ????

Your can change gears up and down on many manual motorbikes without using the clutch it just takes bit of practice.

Obviously pull clutch lever in when stopping. ????

Edited by Kwasaki