Clutch and gears or automatic?

OneMoreFarang

Clutch and gears or automatic?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Our definitions of scooters are not the same then. For me a scooter is defined by it's frame and shape mostly. A scooter is a small motorbike but not all small motorbikes are scooters. Can be fully manual, gearing doesn't have anything to do with it imho. You still need to differentiate scooters and bigger bikes in the era of electric drivetrains so you can't go by drivetrain.

The part that is auto in the semi-autos is the clutch actuation.

And like most people say it's automatic but you have to be there, then Tesla came along. ????

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for me. Its horses for courses.

I did lots of trail/motocross/sports bikes etc in my youth, and an auto certainly wouldn't ever have worked.

Alternatively, I couldn't imagine a gear/clutch bike in all the stop start traffic, a carton of milk, groceries, a pillion etc.

If money was no concern, I would certainly have a geared trail/sports bike, and a scooter

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

And like most people say it's automatic but you have to be there, then Tesla came along. ????

Hehe. Tesla's autopilot is fake anyways. You also have to be there and nudge the steering wheel from time to time or it'll disengage and stop the car.

My mom drove all her life manually geared cars. She tried to resist quite a lot when I told her to go for an automatic for the new car a couple years ago. She thought it would be complicated, not work well and use more gasoline. She picked up all kinds of nonsense FUD from the internet. I insisted and a couple months later she said she couldn't be more happy. It's so much easier and uses less gasoline around town. Point of the story is people naturally will resist change for no good reason if they are used to their ways for many years.

I love manuals on bikes but I really don't like them in cars.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I think for cars it depends a lot on the car and style of driving.

When I was a little younger l always had BMW cars and I liked the manual transmission/action.

Recently I rented a BMW without specifying manual or automatic and they gave me an automatic. Fine. I didn't miss the manual gear change but I also didn't think something like: This is so much easier or more comfortable.

And by now I don't drive aggressive anymore, so it didn't matter. 

If I would buy a car for Bangkok traffic, then more likely I would buy an automatic for all that stop and go traffic.

For me it depends on the ride.. if in village the auto scooter is ok… out on highway pervert 

manual… when in California I went to get MC license read up on the driving test and it suggested 

take test on scooter and their are people who rent them by the day specifically for driving 

test. 

failed because put foot down in the circle… so went to my sons rode his 70s BMW R75 about an hour and took the test in it the next day… passed with no problem… it’s shaft driven so has more control with throttle… I had a HD Streetglide but didn’t try it for the test…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Hehe. Tesla's autopilot is fake anyways. You also have to be there and nudge the steering wheel from time to time or it'll disengage and stop the car.

My mom drove all her life manually geared cars. She tried to resist quite a lot when I told her to go for an automatic for the new car a couple years ago. She thought it would be complicated, not work well and use more gasoline. She picked up all kinds of nonsense FUD from the internet. I insisted and a couple months later she said she couldn't be more happy. It's so much easier and uses less gasoline around town. Point of the story is people naturally will resist change for no good reason if they are used to their ways for many years.

I will never own a Tesla, my middle son has bought one for his wife in Uk.

She loves it and doesn't mind that the only place your allowed to use auto car self drive in UK is in a car park or supermarket carpark or private land.

She comes out the supermarket entrance and telephones her car where it's parked and the car leaves and come to her where she is with the shopping trolley how cool is that.

As my son says no need for whooing its a Knicker dropper. ????

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Regarding fuel consumption i have a manual vios and always used it for fishing trips-a friend had exactly the same car but automatic - we often travelled the same route together, his auto used quite a bit more fuel than my manual.