Thai Navy ship sinks, bad weather in the south, major political defections: Tim Newton Today - Dec 19

webfact

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The loss of engines would mean they were at the mercy of the waves rather than being able to head into them. 

Absolutely. Add the loss of generators/electricity...

You really need to experience that situation on board a ship that's on a rough sea, to realise the gravity of it.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Terrible news. Let's hope they rescue as many of the missing people as possible.

PS some very tasteless comments on this thread. Laughing at something so tragic - shameful.

Agree. Tasteless. Not many updates - so 31 still missing as far as I see - I really hope they are saved. The weather was rough in the video but nothing that a ship that size should not be able to handle. Maybe we will learn more later. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Warships don't sink that easily 

People familiar with ships etc, might want to speculate on this one.            I'm not qualified 

No need to be qualified on here, our forum experts wear many hats.

Thoughts with the missing and their families.

• Haha 2

There do not appear to be any accurate reports of weather conditions at the time and place of the accident, though these should have been recorded in the ships' logs of the rescue ship and any other vessels in the area.  Wind speed and direction are often recorded automatically, as would be roll and pitch of the vessel.  This information should give a picture of the sea conditions at the time.

This is the NE Monsoon time of year, when the weather is at its worst in the Gulf of Thailand, but... The normal NE Monsoon conditions are 20-30 knot winds and3-5 metre seas.  Nothing to bother a ship of this size.  Clearly something 'went wrong' and even engine failure should have been survivable.

Power loss?  There should be emergency generators that kick in automatically when this occurs.

Water ingress and flooding?  When at sea in any poor weather, it would be standard procedure for all water-tight doors to be shut., but any idiot could have been opened without permission.

Standard procedure would be for a Board of Investigation to be set up to discover the cause of the sinking, but TIT and it might reveal some embarrassing facts.  We can only wait and see.

There is simply not enough information given to speculate any further.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

"Strong winds tilted the 252-foot (76.8-meter) long corvette HTMS Sukhothai, allowing sea water to enter an exhaust pipe and subsequently shut down the ship’s electrical system, a Thai navy statement said".

I always thought a ships exhaust pipes were vented through the ships funnel. If this is the case, and it did occur, then it has to be a first.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I always thought a ships exhaust pipes were vented through the ships funnel. If this is the case, and it did occur, then it has to be a first.

and if it did (enter the exhaust pipes) where would it go from there -  into the engine that would certainly be a major restriction to water entry into the ships engine room.

Just more nonsense reporting from ill-informed journalists. 

Some folks obviously never were taught any manners or for that matter even right from wrong. These are young sailers working to keep the people of Thailand safe... And you thinking It's ok to post comments that I'm sure people like you think are clever and amusing. Here's a clue...Its not ok! Nor is it clever or amusing!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, garroman said:

Some folks obviously never were taught any manners or for that matter even right from wrong. These are young sailers working to keep the people of Thailand safe... And you thinking It's ok to post comments that I'm sure people like you think are clever and amusing. Here's a clue...Its not ok! Nor is it clever or amusing!

Who are you talking to particularly?

With out quoting it appears to be the OP, and perhaps Mr Newton, and there certainly is no reason for that.