Work permit - syphilis test

Hi.

I am applying for my work permit in Chiang Mai. I have had all the proper tests, including the blood test, and the doctor gave me one A4 piece of paper that states I’m from everything on there. Is that all I need? Are they meant to attach blood test result.

The past few tests I've had, the doc asks a few general health questions, checks weight and blood pressure, marks and signs the right things on the right form, and that's it, without drawing blood. I heard the syphilis test itself is a joke, the type they're testing for isn't transmissible, or something like that. Just be sure you get a doc who knows what's needed for the WP.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Actually syphilis test is not required. Only doctor certificate stating you do not have tertiary syphilis. Which can be determined without blood test. 

Some work permit offices do require evidence of a blood test specifically for syphilis. For example, Samut Prakan.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

The past few tests I've had, the doc asks a few general health questions, checks weight and blood pressure, marks and signs the right things on the right form, and that's it, without drawing blood. I heard the syphilis test itself is a joke, the type they're testing for isn't transmissible, or something like that. Just be sure you get a doc who knows what's needed for the WP.

How long ago was this? It’s been a requirement to have a blood test for syphilis diagnosis for some time now. Whether every office enforces that or not, that’s another question.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know, but you made a particular point about it after posting that all the required test had been done!

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

And specifically asked if they need to see the blood test results. Hence the reference to the syphilis test.

Yes, because syphilis is the only thing they test for in the blood test. 

It used to be: you walk into any small clinic, the doctor looks at you, might even probe you with his stethoscope on the outside of your shirt, then say: all good. You pay THB 50-100 and you got a shiny new health certificate for your work permit or drivers license. 

But of course if you want a proper evaluation of your health you walk into a reputable hospital like Bumrungrad, get the full checkup package (THB 5k) and they'll give you xrays, ekgs and draw like 7-8 vials of your blood plus a <deleted> sample for lab tests and provide you with a long report of your current health status together with a consultation to run over the results and provide you with a health certificate.

I've done both and I think the second option is well worth it unless you're in a hurry or on a very tight budget.

1 hour ago, gascooker said:

Some work permit offices do require evidence of a blood test specifically for syphilis. For example, Samut Prakan.

How long ago was this? It’s been a requirement to have a blood test for syphilis diagnosis for some time now. Whether every office enforces that or not, that’s another question.

The law most definitely does not require a blood test for syphilis, and there is no blood test that can identify tertiary syphilis.  Indeed, all the blood tests used to detect syphilis (in general, nto tertiary) have sigbnificant limitations such that if one is positive, at least one other test must be done.

Indoivodual labor offices may be requiring  a "syphilis" blood test but it is not the law.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually syphilis test is not required. Only doctor certificate stating you do not have tertiary syphilis. Which can be determined without blood test. 

This is correct.

I think the only hospital in Thailand that knows this is: Bumrungrad Hospital.

Every other hospital I have been to insists on drawing blood.

6 hours ago, gascooker said:

Yeah, I had that experience in Isaan for many years.

Not Bangkok thankfully.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gascooker said:

The requirement is that you don't have tertiary syphilis.

A blood test can't tell the stage of syphilis, but most hospitals like to do the test anyway

Some labor offices do want to see the test results from my experience.

Bangkok, over the last few years, doesn't, which is nice.

But your certificate has to include that you don't have tertiary syphilis and herein lays the problem because most hospitals want to do the test before they write that on the certificate (except Bumrungrad).

I think most hospitals are either:

1. Ignorant of the specific "tertiary" syphilis point (i.e. they don't know it's only tertiary syphilis you shouldn't have; they think you need to be negative of infection altogether)

2. Just wanting to make a buck charging you for a test anyway.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This is my experience too, but only at the Bumrungrad Hospital.

Every other hospital wants to draw blood.

The test only looks for evidence of an infection. It does not tell about the stage of disease.

But, yes, you are right, the tertiary stage of syphilis is not contagious to others anyway.

And even if you were at the primary or secondary stage of the disease (and therefore still infectious), it transmits through sexual contact, not teaching English, ???? (or any other kind of casual contact you would be having in the workplace).

I think the reason we are not supposed to have it is due to the potential brain damage (and mental health problems) it can cause in that stage, perhaps. Who knows their logic ?????

Edited by 2009