Non-oa

Good evening,

I enter Thailand on the 15.11.2022 based on a non-oa issued in Germany. At suvarnapu airport the immigration stamps me in only until march 2023 instead november 2023 . The reason given to me my corresponding health insurance will expire in march 23. THe officer added i should see the immigration in pattaya for an extension until novembereits 23 ?

Is this correct? 

Wbr

Roobaa01

11 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

THe officer added i should see the immigration in pattaya for an extension until novembereits 23 ?

Is this correct?

By all means have a chat with immigration.

My take is that you will need to not only obtain insurance cover for 12 month from march 23 but also exit Thailand and reenter prior to expiry on your current stamp.

With the 12 month insurance in place you will be stamped in for 12 months. 

When does your non O-A visa expire? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

By all means have a chat with immigration.

My take is that you will need to not only obtain insurance cover for 12 month from march 23 but also exit Thailand and reenter prior to expiry on your current stamp.

With the 12 month insurance in place you will be stamped in for 12 months. 

When does your non O-A visa expire? 

ExpiratIon September 2023

Wbr

Roobaa01

12 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

ExpiratIon September 2023

Wbr

Roobaa01

Excellent.

Means every reentry prior to Sept 23 you will be stamped in for 12 months provided that your required insurance matches that date. 

All bit inconvenient but you can get this back on track.

Have a chat with immigration and see what they recommend.

Thinking what I posted earlier is one solution. 

Non O-A has lost its charm due the insurance. I visited Thailand for my 6-month sojourn since I was 50 using Non-OA and then the stupid insurance was mandated and within one year came the deadly Covid-19. Extended my Non-OA for 15K using an agent in Pattaya without insurance for two years. Now I use TR visa for my 6-month sojourn. But leaving Thailand for another TR visa in a neighboring country is becoming tiresome. May be I would cough up 28K for the first time agent fee for a Non-O visa and then I could continue extending it for 15K. 

Edited by Onerak

16 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Non O-A has lost its charm due the insurance. I visited Thailand for my 6-month sojourn since I was 50 using Non-OA and then the stupid insurance was mandated and within one year came the deadly Covid-19. Extended my Non-OA for 15K using an agent in Pattaya without insurance for two years. Now I use TR visa for my 6-month sojourn. But leaving Thailand for another TR visa in a neighboring country is becoming tiresome. May be I would cough up 28K for the first time agent fee for a Non-O visa and then I could continue extending it for 15K. 

My original visa is an OA, obtained over 20 years ago. When the new insurance rules came out I simply changed the reason for my extension of stay from retirement to marriage. Problem solved. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Onerak said:

The OP currently has a non O-A and is in Thailand.

22 minutes ago, rwill said:

Why get another partial year extension?

In March you can get an extension for another year.  That way you will get your extension date and your insurance date aligned.

The OP is not on extensions.

He has a valid non O-A visa. 

You could probably pay again shift and add your health coverage from March 23 to November 2023 go back to immigration and request the full year be stamped or just have your health Insurance renewed and ready to align for a year at extension time again on March 23. The joys of the OA..

Edited by CANSIAM

10 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

You could probably pay again shift and add your health coverage from March 23 to November 2023 go back to immigration and request the full year be stamped or just have your health Insurance renewed and ready to align for a year at extension time again on March 23. The joys of the OA..

Perhaps I'm misreading the OP.

He has a valid non O-A visa that is valid till Sept 2023.

If he exits and reenters prior to that date with the required insurance he will be given a 12 month permission of stay.

As for his current stamp till March 23 (due to insurance to that date), I'm not so sure that immigration will change that.

Thinking he will need to exit/reenter with 12 month insurance to obtain a 12 month stamp. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Gooder morning

I think in march 23 i will obtain a thai insurance from pacific cross for 6 months until September 23. Then leave thailand without reentry to have the non-oa invalidated. Thereafter reenter on visa exempt then apply for the non-o to extension of stay.

Wbr

Roobaa01

Good plan, I did something similar, left 3 months into my first OA extension without a re-entry permit and returned with a 90 day Non O from home country Thai Embassy then to yearly extensions.....

32 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

I think in march 23 i will obtain a thai insurance from pacific cross for 6 months until September 23.

Will not your existing (German?) insurer be prepared to extend your current policy until this date? I took out an insurance policy with Pacific Cross some time ago, and they first required me to undergo a hospital medical examination since I was over 65 years old.

Edited by OJAS

32 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

I think in march 23 i will obtain a thai insurance from pacific cross for 6 months until September 23. Then leave thailand without reentry to have the non-oa invalidated

I'm not sure that immigration will change your current permission of stay stamp even with added insurance.

You may also need to exit/reenter Thailand prior to march 23. 

Edited by DrJack54

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm not sure that immigration will change your current permission of stay stamp even with added insurance.

You may also need to exit/reenter Thailand prior to march 23. 

@roobaa01 - in the light of DrJack54's comments, I now wonder whether your best option would be to obtain a full year's policy from Pacific Cross from March 23 to March 24, and then do a border run before your current permission to stay expires in order to gain a further year (or at least until the date your new Pacific Cross policy expires) out of your non-OA visa. Then, before a March 24 permission to stay expires, do a further border run without a re-entry permit to ditch your non-OA visa, re-entering Thailand visa-exempt with the aim of seeking a non-O conversion at your local immigration office.

Please note, however, that any further foreign travel which you might be contemplating between Sept 23 and March 24 will necessitate a re-entry permit so as to preserve a March 24 permission to stay.

Whereabouts in Thailand are you located? Might Ban Pakard in Cambodia be a reasonably convenient proposition in your case for border runs in March 23 and March 24 (see report below)?

• Like 1