Under Big Toenail Infection

carlyai

I think I have a fungal infection under my big toe nail. It's a black color and been there for a while.

Chemist gave me anti-fungal cream, but not seeming to get rid of the infection.

I saw an ad. some where for some liquid magic that seems to clear it up quickly.

Any idea what to buy to clean the infection up?

20221221_094007.jpg

Get it checked by a doctor, it may be more than a fungal infection. There are several types of infection, only pathology can tell which one.

Relying on a pharmacist's diagnostic skills is somewhat chancy. You need a dermatologist.

• Like 1

It could be a sign of a weakened  immune system such as pre-diabetes  or insulin resistance. Get checked out.

disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I'm just repeating what I have read as I have also suffered this affliction for many years without a solution. .

I've had a similar problem with one of big toes, only it was whitish and part of the nail fell off.  Apparently there are two possible remedies, one being anti-fungal creams the other being anti-fungal pills. 

The doctor advised the use of the cream which is applied twice a day to the skin directly around the nail.  I use a cotton bud to apply the cream so that it gets right into the area between the nail and skin.  The doc said that I needed to be very patient as the cream treatment can take 3 to 6 months, or even longer to really take affect.  He said the anti-fungal pills work much quicker, but there are potentially serious side affects on the liver and pancreas and he advised that its best to use the cream.

I've been using the cream for about 3 months now and the nail is starting to show good signs of normal regrowth.

FYI... The cream that I use is called Lamisil.  Cost 250 THB per tube and is available at my local pharmacy without prescription.

Hope this helps

For toenail infections or toenail fungus, tea tree oil is really effective. A drop or two once or twice a day really helps clears things up. For infections, a week is all you need. For fungus, it can take a month or two. It's a completely natural and very effective, low-cost solution.

I used this exact product when I had toenail issues and it cleaned things up really well!

https://www.nowfoods.com/products/essential-oils/tea-tree-oil

Edited by mstevens
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well, I had an ingrown Toenail for many years had it pulled out a few years ago but it keeps growing back (I know it is not the same) But I guess yours is just an infection 

My dad had that and his remedy was to make the arch of the toenail weaker so it wouldn't dig into the skin. He used to file the center of the convex shape with a file to make it weaker or thinner. Also file the toenail square.

If it is a fungal infection (suggest seeing a doctor) then they can be difficult to clear.

Amongst various treatments I tried creams, varnishes, lotions and iodine foot baths. 

In the end, I tried what seemed to me a logical solution mentioned on the web.

Fungus generally likes dark and moist environments, so I try to keep my feet aired as much as possible (I would suggest switching to open toed shoes as much as practical, this was not easy for me as a Brit with our general dislike for sandals ????)  and perhaps more importantly, whenever possible I take "feet sun baths" for 10-15 minutes whilst day-dreaming about the UV zapping the fungus. Obviously you need to be a bit careful not too overdo this and risk sun burning your feet but in my experience it is amazing how often a seat/table just has a little area of direct sunlight nearby and then you can just stretch out your feet for a few minutes to get the benefits of the UV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1