Getting withholding tax back from interest payment

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Does the UK-Thai treaty address the UK State pension at all? Or does silence on the matter mean it is not exempted from Thai taxation? Just curious.

Yes, as said, I believe it it covers the issue, from memory, in para 19, in the right hand column.

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes, as said, I believe it it covers the issue, from memory, in para 19, in the right hand column.

Can't find that. But, the treaty, as most are, is explicit on eliminating double taxation, in this case, with a credit for Thai taxes (from Article 23 of Treaty):

(a) Thai tax payable under the laws of Thailand and in accordance with this Convention, whether directly or by deduction, on profits, income or chargeable gains from sources within Thailand (excluding, in the case of a dividend, tax payable in respect of the profits out of which the dividend is paid) shall be allowed as a credit against any United Kingdom tax computed by reference to the same profits, income or chargeable gains by reference to which the Thai tax is computed.

Not sure how that squares with a UK State pension....?  If the Brits don't tax your State pension, but the Thais do, the credit is meaningless.

But, my expertise is with the US tax code, and related treaties. I've already exceeded the boundaries of thread creep, so I'll let the Brits further discuss this issue, if any are interested. Sorry for the waver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Can't find that. But, the treaty, as most are, is explicit on eliminating double taxation, in this case, with a credit for Thai taxes (from Article 23 of Treaty):

Not sure how that squares with a UK State pension....?  If the Brits don't tax your State pension, but the Thais do, the credit is meaningless.

But, my expertise is with the US tax code, and related treaties. I've already exceeded the boundaries of thread creep, so I'll let the Brits further discuss this issue, if any are interested. Sorry for the waver.

I'll  dig around in the next couple of days and try to find the reference again, I've been down this road several times before but not for a while, I'll get back to you I promise.

10 hours ago, JimGant said:

Jim - I had a quick look this morning for the relevant material and came across this previous discussion on the same subject, you were involved in one of them. Poster Fletchsmile in the attached link and in a link contained in the link, is an authority on this subject.

11 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'll  dig around in the next couple of days and try to find the reference again, I've been down this road several times before but not for a while, I'll get back to you I promise.

Another one for Jim - I have seen several times where US SSc pension payments are specifically excluded from Thai tax but I cannot see how Thai Revenue regards that income for Thai tax purposes, perhaps you know? Is it income that is excluded from the Thai tax return entirely or is it included and then treated as disregarded income? A third option is that it might be included for the purposes of the Thai tax calculation and then deducted afterwards. The latter would mean that it uses up part of the zero rated tax band (first 150k) which in my mind would be a distortion.

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Is it income that is excluded from the Thai tax return entirely

Yes. Since the treaty explicitly states only the US has tax authority over gov't pensions and Social Security, there would be no reason to include it in a Thai tax return, since being non taxable, it would not count against your Thai tax exemption, i.e., that first 150k tax band.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 11:21 AM, kiever said:

I am wondering what kind of document I should take from bank and I show withheld taxes  revenue department ?just bank statement enough?

I believe you need a letter from the bank stating how much interest you’ve been paid & how much tax was withheld.

Have you registered your TIN with your bank?