Urgent - there is no A negative in Thailand for transfusion s.

Speedhump

My wife urgently need a blood transfusion as her platelets are at danger level (low) also red cells in general. Bone marrow has been depleted due to heavy radiotherapy. A small brain bleed or other haemorrhage could quickly turn into a deadly one, and she's at risk until she can start to produce platelets at a healthier rate again. 

It seems she has a rare blood type A negative. Even Thai Red Cross say there is none at all in the country, and a top hospital  (Bumrungrad) say the same. 

How should I go about making an appeal for donors? I hate being the centre of attention, but maybe would the media (newspapers, radio, etc.) help? We are not Thai speakers and are struggling to know what to do. 

Thanks for any kind advice. 

For platelets I believe blood type is not so important. I had a platelet transfusion of another blood type because of cancer treatment. I have A-, but cannot give transfusion because of cancer and other things.

But of course the platelets have to be very clean so it has no red bloodcells mixed in. And also the plasma.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiwyfr4o4_8AhXng_0HHVi6A6UQFnoECC8QAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fashpublications.org%2Fhematology%2Farticle%2F2020%2F1%2F512%2F474292%2FDoes-ABO-and-RhD-matching-matter-for-platelet&usg=AOvVaw2EejehR9zDFhfJ2uk-Sjmg

As with others, I'm O neg (the universal donor), and based in Chiang Mai. ... you don't say where your wife is.

Quite willing to give you a pint, but the "authorities" would have to bend the rules, as at 63, the Red Cross no longer wants it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please give us the location if you need help now. Also I believe it is crazy to deny anyone that is healthy from giving blood. Especially in Thailand where the majority of the foreigners are older than Red Cross likes. 

Edited by jcmj
  • Like 1

If you have A negative blood you can donate to anyone with a blood type of A or AB regardless of the positive or negative, however if you have A negative blood you can only receive A- or O- blood.

Understanding Blood Transfusions

There is a specific guideline in which blood transfusions must be conducted in order to be safe and successful. Transfusions must be matched appropriately to avoid dangerous outcomes. The breakdown is as follows:

Type A+ can donate only to A+ and AB+; can only receive from A+, A-, O+, and O-

Type A- can donate only to A+, A-, AB+, and AB-; can only receive from A- and O-

Type B+ can donate only to B+ and AB+; can only receive from B+, B-, O+, and O-

Type B- can donate only to types B+, B-, AB+, and AB-; can only receive from B- and O-

Type AB+ can donate only to AB+; can receive from all blood types

Type AB- can donate only to AB+ and AB-; can only receive from A-, B-, AB-, and O-

Type O+ can donate only to blood types A+, B+, AB+, and O+; can only receive from O+ and O-

Type O- can donate to all blood types. It is known as the universal donor type; can only receive from O-

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m also A- but at 61 unsure if I qualify for donation ?.

Maybe the op is in Phuket ?

Thank you. Thai Red Cross keep the list of donors, for such a rare blood type it would be wonderful if you could get on it, it's health dependent, not age as far as I know. 

Thank you for the response. ????????

23 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

There's been no response re location etc.

I'm sorry, my app isnt notifying me of replies, abd I've her really hectic driving to and from hospital each day with meals, other jobs, etc. 

I've found that Thai Red Cross keep the list of donors, it's countrywide. That's where donors must apply. 

On 12/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Screaming said:

I have O Negative, would that work?

It's possible to use platelets from other blood types but the doctor says there will always be a risk of it being rejected, even if you take suppressant drugs, and even then still risk of liver damage. I think she's better to wait, as I think (pray) that some clotting is taking place now , as they pumped her full of Hema-plus yesterday. 

Doctors believe it's probably a bone-marrow reaction to the strong recent radiotherapy, causing low output. It should get better with time (it's just the immediate future they're concerned about. 

On 12/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Sheryl said:

That will not work, hospital will only transfuse blood obtained through officiual chabnnels.

OP: as foreigners are your best bet,  I will create a post for you asking for donors on this forum but first please verify where exactly people can go to donate. Ask the hospital. It night be possible at the hospital itself but more  often it is only at the Thai Red Cross.  Also ask the hospital if O negative blood can be accepted as that would widen the pool of potential donors.

Thank you. The risk of using other groups negative blood is known and we discussed it. It's a last resort, I hope/believe some clotting is starting now. 

Thai Red Cross is the place to register as a donor, not the local hospital, I think. 

Thank you so much for the response. ????????

On 12/23/2022 at 4:24 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

I have posted an appeal for donors to Twitter

Post on Twitter & Facebook.   This is why it's a good idea to be active and have as many followers as possible.

Thank you so much. I'll try to reach out (I hate the expression, but) on social media. Donors would give blood to Thai Red Cross who will distribute countrywide. ????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Thank you. The risk of using other groups negative blood is known and we discussed it. It's a last resort, I hope/believe some clotting is starting now. 

Thai Red Cross is the place to register as a donor, not the local hospital, I think. 

Thank you so much for the response. ????????

Please inform at least the province where your wife is

UPDATE 

Three units have been donated so far, which 'should' be enough to give time for the bone marrow to start producing cells again. 

It's better not to have too many donations at one time and possibly waste a vital resource, as blood only keeps for around 30 days in storage. 

Having said that, I know Bumrungrad were also looking for A- blood last week but I don't know how much. 

Thanks so much to everyone who showed an interest in my wife's troubles. ????????????????????????

If more need arises I will make a fresh post. 

• Thanks 1