Ford ranger 21' sync help

Elkski

I'm visiting mom in isaan with the wife.  Bro in law asked to help him begin to use his sync .  I'm totally new to this as my USA vehicles are old.   I did check and no updates are available.  His version seems to have a low number but maybe each year or series starts at ver 1.    It is ver f1.6.0.1

Just thought I'd ask here for help.

Does he need to register as a customer at a Ford website in Thailand?  Do I need to load ranger apps on my or his phone? 

I surmise that it uses your phone signal  syncing via Bluetooth to run gos apps or calling apps.   Manual is not quickly available so I am not sure what steering wheel buttons do what. 

Try this link - its for the '21 Everest but I think the Everest and Ranger use some frame, engine and interiors, etc. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=8492&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2090729&ProcUid=G2044276&userMarket=THA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

Have someone change the display language to English and set up Ford SYNC on the vehicle display screen.

My SYNC is setup to my home Wifi and auto-checks for updates when I park or start the truck. If they do not have home Wifi, set it up to use a phone mobile hotspot.

My software version is 3.4 and was last checked on 12/24/22IMG_3926.thumb.jpg.a9ab8d38c449b3994d625051e13b4788.jpgIMG_3927.thumb.JPG.fdb54c8dba250ccb04517b9426061ae2.JPGIMG_3925.thumb.JPG.0971036e0b6bdf207c29280d2995de77.JPG

Hope this helps.

...dw

• Like 1

Yes they have good home wifi.  I have changed it to English.    I didn't know I could use wifi.   Got wifi connected.  And my phone.  No mobile apps found.  Loaded synchronize app on phone but no way to register my email?  Don't see how to install updates if any via WiFi.  I'm looking at it.   

I have read to update you need to run engine for maybe 25 mins? Bseems it can only use my phone.  I don't see how to do update using wifi

Edited by Elkski

Scanning for updates now. No updates avail it appears.   

I can play audio from my phone so American music.  Yeah.  

But don't understand this mobile app thing.  I was thinking I could run any app from my phone and it would play.  Google maps, YouTube etc?   

Edited by Elkski

24 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I was thinking I could run any app from my phone and it would play.  Google maps, YouTube etc?   

If the Ford head unit supports Android you can use almost any app available on the Play Store. Same if it supports Apple car play.

The problem with factory head units are that they are the cheapest, lowest performing, hunks of junk on the market.

Want full Android auto, no update hassles (auto), and way better sound - get an aftermarket head unit.

Have Pioneer in 2 of ours and it works perfectly - mirror all apps on my fone, can sync both my wife and mine fone.

, glitch free.

31 minutes ago, Elkski said:

But don't understand this mobile app thing.  I was thinking I could run any app from my phone and it would play.  Google maps, YouTube etc?   

If you have an android phone, android auto does all that. Short for android automobile, not android automatic. Google maps works well. There are many audio players that are compatible. Google it to find one you like.

Depends what Ranger he has. Ranger Wildtrak and Raptor got full version of Sync (3.0). Ranger XLT (2020 and up) got a downgraded version of Sync (Sync 2.5) with very limited functionality (no updates etc). Probably best to connect your phone via cable to the headunit to enjoy either Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Samsung music plays via audio.   It's ver 1.6.0.1    I read in a sync  vin check.  Said not updatable.   So a real early version and they probably added much needed RAM.   I suppose some % but aftermarket stuff but I prefer decent factory stuff but I don't play loud. 

On 12/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, Elkski said:

Samsung music plays via audio.   It's ver 1.6.0.1    I read in a sync  vin check.  Said not updatable.   So a real early version and they probably added much needed RAM.   I suppose some % but aftermarket stuff but I prefer decent factory stuff but I don't play loud. 

Like I mentioned above, if you could inform the model (XL, XL+, Sport or XLT) and year of the Ranger, then I might be able to help more.