Retirement Extension

I know this must have been asked before but can't find anything through the search function.

I am currently on a Non-Imm O with a 1 year extension based on being married to a Thai. Fed up with the hassles that go with extending based on marriage, next year I want to change to based on retirement (I'm 59). 

For funds. I currently have both a SCB Bank account and a Kasikorn one. I was just going to top up my Kasikorn from 400k to 800k and leave it in there. However, the other night someone told me that for retirement extensions you have to have a Bangkok Bank. is this correct? I can't see why it matters but in this country who knows.

is there anything else I need to take into account when changing over to a retirement extension?

Many thanks

18 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

is there anything else I need to take into account when changing over to a retirement extension?

I vaguely recall that for the first cross over from based on marriage to based on retirement that you need to have your wife with you.

Someone who has actually done this will be along.

Of course the io will be happy with your change. 

Less work. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I vaguely recall that for the first cross over from based on marriage to based on retirement that you need to have your wife with you.

Less work. 

Yeah, less work for us all. I didn't know before I came to live here full time that it would be such a pain, otherwise I'd have done the retirement option from the off

5 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

Yeah, less work for us all. I didn't know before I came to live here full time that it would be such a pain, otherwise I'd have done the retirement option from the off

For most the marriage option allows you to work and also the financials are far less onerous and of course for those under 50.

For me the home visit along along with under consideration period would be enough reason to opt for based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

IF you are doing the monthly transfer of 65k for your Retirement Extension, AND use Wise to do it, be aware that only Bkk Bank and one other (can't recall which) are partner banks with Wise, will show it as a Foreign Transfer. If using another Thai Bank, you will have to get the Credit Advice paper from that bank each month. It will NOT show as a Foreign Transfer in you Bank Book.

Also be aware that there is the Combination Method accepted by SOME Immigration offices who will accept a sum of dosh in the bank plus monthly transfers adding up to 800k. I transfer 50k per month via Wise to Bkk Bank, and have 220k in another Bkk Bank account, accepted by Phitsanulok IO.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Less work. 

Been there - but was about 15 years ago when changed from marriage to retirement - Immigration explained as they need to know wife is aware of change due Thai joint ownership laws (that you may be planning on making a wife change) ????  Did next day with wife present and don't believe she was even asked anything.  But was never asked for lease as most are so that may have been a positive.  About 4 years ago they did start to require TM30 here in Bangkok so then had to pay fine for homeowner never reporting and show that each TM30 receipt each year (along with 90 day report receipt and Google map to residence).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

IF you are doing the monthly transfer of 65k for your Retirement Extension, AND use Wise to do it, be aware that only Bkk Bank and one other (can't recall which) are partner banks with Wise, will show it as a Foreign Transfer. If using another Thai Bank, you will have to get the Credit Advice paper from that bank each month. It will NOT show as a Foreign Transfer in you Bank Book.

Also be aware that there is the Combination Method accepted by SOME Immigration offices who will accept a sum of dosh in the bank plus monthly transfers adding up to 800k. I transfer 50k per month via Wise to Bkk Bank, and have 220k in another Bkk Bank account, accepted by Phitsanulok IO.

I have the 400k for marriage extension in my Kasikorn and never touch it. I always use Wise to transfer money into my SCB, so I'll transfer another 400k from my SCB to my Kasikorn and then just leave that there for the full year. Will I still have to show some sort of foreign transfer receipt?

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The usual caveat that each Immigration office may operate slightly differently.

At Jomtien they were happy with the bank letter and statements highlighting the appropriate monthly transfers. They showed no interest in the corresponding WISE pdf printouts that I handed over. 

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For most the marriage option allows you to work and also the financials are far less onerous and of course for those under 50.

For me the home visit along along with under consideration period would be enough reason to opt for based on retirement. 

That is the exact reason for me. Nearly scuppered my holiday plans this year with the under consideration rubbish. We've been married 20 years and have a 14 year old daughter. They have lived with me in the UK and other parts of the world through my old job, so what exactly they are "considering" is baffling. I can sort of understand the first time of applying but every year!!

3 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

I have the 400k for marriage extension in my Kasikorn and never touch it. I always use Wise to transfer money into my SCB, so I'll transfer another 400k from my SCB to my Kasikorn and then just leave that there for the full year. Will I still have to show some sort of foreign transfer receipt?

Money shown coming  from abroad not required for money in bank extension.

Also note that if dealing with CW then Kasikorn has a branch there however SCB does not.

Kasikorn is a partner bank for Wise. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

At Jomtien they were happy with the bank letter and statements highlighting the appropriate monthly transfers. They showed no interest in the corresponding WISE pdf printouts that I handed over. 

Was this for retirement extension? you just highlighted the monthly 65k's on the statement?

47 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes, same for me. Only bank statement, copy of book (why, they are the same?), and letters from the bank.

• Like 1