What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I see this as being good for people that both love and hate musicals.

Good call, I love this show. I was dragged screaming to musicals by my parents when I was a kid - I hate everything about them.

Schmigadoon is just half an hour of nice TV, No gangs, no drugs, no guns, no police, no murder mystery. I haven't seen the second series yet, but the first was quite enchanting really simple and an update on a theme, I thought Apple did well here.  

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

Gets very bad reviews.

Well deserved, @ 5.5 on IMDB, and consider that, very generous.  If not completely out of things to watch, I  wouldn't have bothered.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:29 PM, xylophone said:

I did watch the Jimmy Savile expose and I never did like the character anyway, but this documentary really laid bare his disgusting habits, and what an evil man he was.

Don't remember a great deal about the Rolf Harris conviction, but what I do remember is that I thought it was a bit harsh at the time, but then a friend of his daughter came out with the fact that she had been abused by him, so that changed my mind.

He had a hit record with Two Little Boys.

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, tgw said:

Silo **** (so far)

Watched the two first episodes - I will watch more.

Interesting story.

I think I won't give too much away if I say the story so far took place inside a place called "the silo", hundreds of levels where people live confined.

Apparently, it is set some time in the not too far future, but the people forgot everything about their past, and doing research about the past is forbidden. Objects from the past are called "relics" and are for the most part illegal.

For the series I hope the story has a plan to breakout of the silo, similarly to "the maze runner" and have plenty of content after a breakout, otherwise this will become tedious and boring.

So far, we haven't seen much about the technology the silo people master and many questions remain open, where do the crops come from, where are production facilities for computer parts, light bulbs, medicine, AIR ? etc.
they have electric lights everywhere, but no elevator for hundreds of levels, instead they have "porters" which run up and down the stairs, which seems strange, because there already were elevators before the middle ages in our own civilisation. Travelling up the whole silo apparently takes a day.

That's the kind of detail that disturbs me when watching a show. If there are too many, it becomes stupid and I can't watch anymore ????

episode 3 was kind of empty, the plot didn't progress much, which is disappointing.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

Yellowstone, Season5

Can not recommend this show.

Even after four seasons no signs of diversity at all. A complete lack of LGBT+XYZ themes. Cowboys forcing climate change by roaming around in their huge fuel driven pickup trucks. Old white men ideology everywhere. And John Dutton would not vote for Biden, I sadly guess.

No good! ????

then I recommend "Designated Survivor" Season 3 to you

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to recommend the French movie "AKA".

It's not a masterpiece and not super-imaginative, but it's a well made, fast-paced agent thriller, despite a few plot holes. Features Eric Cantona

Warning: bodycount ++

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Will27 said:

Steeltown Murders

New one from the Beeb just started.

It centers on the hunt to catch the killer of three young women set in both 1973 and the early 2000s, contrasting the policing methods of the 1970s with the forensic breakthroughs of the early 2000s.

Thanks @Will27. I watched this on iPlayer and enjoyed it. Worth a look IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

High Desert

Peggy, a former addict, who decides to make a new start after the death of her beloved mother with whom she lived in the small desert town of Yucca Valley, California, makes a life-changing decision to become a private investigator.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

In the preview it shows her driving up in an old beat up convertible, and when she gets out the door falls off, that was enough for me to say, give this a big miss.

I lasted 15 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1