2023 New Model Fortuner - anyone know when ?

Tuvoc

This is widely reported as going on sale in Thailand this year. I'm not sure exactly when - I saw one report as Qtr 1, so by the end of March, has anyone seen any timing reported for it

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The current vehicle will have the badges and stickers shuffled and re-issued as 2024's 'new' model, no?

The new platform model will be completely new, with different looks and dimensions.

The powertrain options should remain the same with the exception of a new option - a completely new mild hybrid diesel rumored to be released in some markets.

Edited by unheard

18 minutes ago, unheard said:

The new platform model will be completely new, with different looks and dimensions.

The powertrain options should remain the same with the exception of a new option - a completely new mild hybrid diesel rumored to be released in some markets.

Hope so. The current 'Transformers' styling is as dated as the Pajero they trolled.

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Hope so. The current 'Transformers' styling is as dated as the Pajero they trolled.

If it still on schedule to be released at the end of this year then all major design bits have been finalized by now and are busily readied for full scale production.

Toyota is being super-secretive about the looks of the new model.

That said, there's no shortage of speculative new design sketches floating around.

Edited by unheard

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The current vehicle will have the badges and stickers shuffled and re-issued as 2024's 'new' model, no?

No, apparently it is a completely new model, different platform and chassis, probably a mild hybrid. And probably an increased sticker price if so. It might well be better to buy the existing model at a slight promotional prices as they clear stock pending arrival of the new one. But why on earth did they change to black alloys...  black alloys are like marmite I guess, I hate them, to me the silver alloys on the 2019 model are far better for the Fortuner. 

53 minutes ago, pagallim said:

October seems to be the usual month for Toyota model changes, with the Fortuner typically having a 8 year lifespan (with a minor cosmetic upgrade after 5 years).

Interesting, I guess we will know when they actually announce it and not before !

30 minutes ago, Odinrex said:

Even bigger? Ridiculous size on those things. 

Not so.

The current Fortuner looks to be the second narrowest in the segment, while the also outdated Pajero Sport takes the crown of being the narrowest.

Every new redesigned model has been growing larger compared to their predecessors.

The current Fortuner is getting outclassed in that respect.

Edited by unheard

13 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

No, apparently it is a completely new model, different platform and chassis, probably a mild hybrid. And probably an increased sticker price if so. It might well be better to buy the existing model at a slight promotional prices as they clear stock pending arrival of the new one. But why on earth did they change to black alloys...  black alloys are like marmite I guess, I hate them, to me the silver alloys on the 2019 model are far better for the Fortuner. 

Maybe because more than 70% of any SUV buyer's trade the factory rims for something bigger and blacker. The tire and rim shop seems to be the first place they stop at after leaving the dealership.

I don't like Marmite much either but my half anodized and half grey stock rims look fine to me.

17 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

It might well be better to buy the existing model at a slight promotional prices as they clear stock pending arrival of the new one.

By buying the existing model you'd be getting the outdated tech, with vastly inferior ergonomics and driving comfort. (the old looks being of the personal preference).

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe because more than 70% of any SUV buyer's trade the factory rims for something bigger and blacker.

Maybe for the lower-end models, but with model-specific 20" alloys already fitted to the top of the range Fortuner, I don't think it happens a lot. I've never seen the TRD Sport etc with aftermarket alloys, there is just no need.

I'm trying to get my wife to consider an Isuzu MU-X next time. Already a new model about 12 mths ago, silver alloys ???? , cheaper and class-leading tech although to me all that means is that there is more to go wrong. The Fortuner has been amazing, apart from a set of tyres all it has required is regular services.

Edited by Tuvoc

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I'm trying to get my wife to consider an Isuzu MU-X next time. Already a new model about 12 mths ago, silver alloys ???? , cheaper and class-leading tech although to me all that means is that there is more to go wrong.

The MU-X is new and competitive but I wouldn't call it impressive.

The only area it bests the others is in having the roomiest third raw of seats.

It's very average at everything else.

It also has noisy engines and far from the smoothest ride.

What class-leading tech?

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I've never seen the TRD Sport etc with aftermarket alloys, there is just no need.

I have.

But I have seen owners ditching bespoke OEM rims on more than just "tuna's" in order to satisfy some weird, local aesthetic.

Edited by NanLaew

18 minutes ago, seedy said:

I own an MU-X.

It and the Fortuner do not have true All Wheel drive ala Mitsubishi Pajero which enables engagement on hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete. They only have 4WD

The new Everest now also gets the permanent four-wheel drive system.

The Pajero Sport and Terra are getting outdated.

They're planned to be replaced within the next couple of years with totally new models .

They'll be based on the same, new shared platform.

Edited by unheard

Yes, Everest is also very appealing to me, except for the 10-speed transmission which is pretty bad and unreliable ? 

A fact I didn't know until recently -  the top selling new "car" in New Zealand is the Ford Ranger, a ute !  With that 10-speed transmission too.

With Toyota you know you're getting the most reliable product.

Edited by Tuvoc

18 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, Everest is also very appealing to me, except for the 10-speed transmission which is pretty bad and unreliable ? 

A fact I didn't know until recently -  the top selling new "car" in New Zealand is the Ford Ranger, a ute !  With that 10-speed transmission too.

Interesting isn't it?

The 10-speed gear hunting problem has been largely resolved according to the countless reviews coming from the Australian market.

In addition, in Thailand you can also get the proven 6-speed auto, but it's only available with the single turbo engine, which is still not a weak motor by any means.

Edited by unheard

1 hour ago, unheard said:

The 10-speed gear hunting problem has been largely resolved according to the countless reviews coming from the Australian market.

Didn't know that, I'll do a search.

5 hours ago, unheard said:

The MU-X is new and competitive but I wouldn't call it impressive.

The only area it bests the others is in having the roomiest third raw of seats.

It's very average at everything else.

It also has noisy engines and far from the smoothest ride.

I haven't looked, but very likely too that second hand values don't hold up as well as the Fortuner.  So you save 200k baht or so on the initial purchase but lose it and maybe more due to heaver depreciation. Worth checking for any new car purchase.