Changing Visa Extension based on Retirement to Marriage

Hi, Happy New Year to all.

Perhaps someone can advise me? I have a Non Immigrant Type O visa extended until 31 Aug 2023. I plan to get married soon and change the reason for extension of my visa to marriage. I was thinking of doing that to tie in with my current extension's expiry date. The query I have is - will I need to follow the money in the bank rules (400k/800k etc) associated with the retirement extension or can I follow the marriage rules of 400k for two months before application? Or should I just change my extension as soon as I get married?

Any views,

J.

Just do it when your current retirement extension expires.   The criteria for the marriage extension will apply for your new application, however, it wouldn't do any harm to season the 400K for 3 months rather than the required 2 months.

31 minutes ago, jnp73 said:

will I need to follow the money in the bank rules (400k/800k etc) associated with the retirement extension or can I follow the marriage rules of 400k for two months before application? Or should I just change my extension as soon as I get married?

You could have the 400k for 2 months prior as per the marriage rules for money in bank requirement.

Personally I would maintain the 800k requirement. 

The fall back position being if any issue with extention marriage (there won't be) you could continue with the retirement option.

Cover both bases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

Your current retirement extension is already approved and has nothing to do with the next one.

Immigration checks the previous 12 months to make sure the rules for retirement were followed.

As I posted earlier , yes the op could just maintain 400k for 2 months prior to next application based on marriage however immigration should check that he adhered to financial requirements for retirement for previous year. 

As stated...maintaining 800k up till application covers all. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2