2 or 3 panels / plug in solution

I only have this space as shown. Unfortunately shadow starts hitting the space after about 2:30 pm, so I want to have a metal construction being done. The metal construction will hold the solar panels completely leveled/horizontally.

That way the shadow will not affect them so much/a lot later only. The metal construction will be hold in place by being mounted to the walls beside the roof.

The roof on the left hand side in the 2nd pic is not ours...

I also would like to put a panel or 2 on the other side of the roof (last picture). In this case not leveled, just lay it down on the tiles of the roof.

Any ideas? Will the wind blow it away? Or how to hold it down? Maybe not enough airflow below the panels if they are put just on the roof tiles? Of course I would put a bar in place to avoid the panel from sliding down...

20221212_132039.jpg

20221212_132101.jpg

20221212_132200.jpg

Edited by zappalot

You will definitely need your panel support fixed to the building structure; 3 panels would be about 6m2 of surface area generating lift in a bit of a blow.

How are you going to fix the panels to your support?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

How are you going to fix the panels to your support?

I thought to mount the ordinary standard holding system to my metal construction in order to hold the panels to the construction I plan...

1 minute ago, zappalot said:

I thought to mount the ordinary standard holding system to my metal construction in order to hold the panels to the construction I plan...

Yeah that works, the commercial hold-down systems are intended to resist a decent blow.

Of course, the hold-down rails need to be well attached to your structure. Check out the fixing requirements of your chosen system.

• Like 1

I just plan to buy some components like https://www.solarshop-th.com/product-page/seraphim-monocrystaline-660w, and the inverter should be one to be able to just plug it into the wallsocket.

So if I get this right I should have different inverters, one for the leveled panels and one for the ones pointed in another direction, right?

Much depends upon the maximum input voltage of your inverter.

If it allows you to have all the panels in parallel then shading of one set or the other won't matter (but you will need to have individual fuses for each panel with 5 in parallel). If you are going to have series strings then a separate inverter for each string would be wise.

Also note that you are limited to about 3.5kW (16A) with a Thai outlet so separate inverters could be the way to go anyway to avoid issues with the el-cheapo outlets which tend to get used here.

Do you have any particular inverter in mind?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Much depends upon the maximum input voltage of your inverter.

If it allows you to have all the panels in parallel then shading of one set or the other won't matter (but you will need to have individual fuses for each panel with 5 in parallel). If you are going to have series strings then a separate inverter for each string would be wise.

Also note that you are limited to about 3.5kW (16A) with a Thai outlet so separate inverters could be the way to go anyway to avoid issues with the el-cheapo outlets which tend to get used here.

Do you have any particular inverter in mind?

Why would the maximum input voltage of the inverter be a factor if putting the panels in parallel? Connecting the panels in parallel would mean low voltage but high amperage, so I could see the inverters maximum allowed amperage or minimum required voltage being factors. 

11 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Why would the maximum input voltage of the inverter be a factor if putting the panels in parallel? Connecting the panels in parallel would mean low voltage but high amperage, so I could see the inverters maximum allowed amperage or minimum required voltage being factors. 

Maybe I could have been clearer, my train of thought got interrupted.

You are correct, parallel isn't an issue with over-voltage. 

@zappalot  You are aware that these solar panels are big, very big!  2384 x 1303 x 35 mm and they weigh a mere 38.5 kg each.   

Looking at your roof pictures, I would beg to suggest that at that weight you are going to need to seriously think how you will get the panels up that roof.  Also looking at the angle of the roof you're going to need some very substantial fixings to hold them down with that weight.  The last thing that you want is for them to lift off in the wind and slide down and hit someone/something, as that would be very expensive.

Edited by 007 RED
Typo
  • Like 2

oh, ok, actually I thought they are roughly all about the same size and about 22 kg max...

So have to rethink, the link I included does not provide any such specs...

so have to rethink...

thx so much...

10 hours ago, zappalot said:

oh, ok, actually I thought they are roughly all about the same size and about 22 kg max...

So have to rethink, the link I included does not provide any such specs...

so have to rethink...

thx so much...

Yep, they are big and heavy.   FYI... I've attached below the spec.

SRP-(655-670)-BMC-HV_210_EN.pdf

Good luck with your proposed project.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:02 AM, Crossy said:

Also note that you are limited to about 3.5kW (16A) with a Thai outlet so separate inverters could be the way to go anyway

Seen the surface, angle and shading, you do not need to worry to get even close to 3.5kW

Paralleling the panels is the way to go.

For this project i would have hired some with experience. not the easies roof to work on and since its a few panels only i think best use of time, money and the possibility of any issues. A good professional will get up those panels in a few hours in a good secure way.

Pink  

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 6:44 AM, zappalot said:

and the inverter should be one to be able to just plug it into the wallsocket.

So if I get this right I should have different inverters, one for the leveled panels and one for the ones pointed in another direction, right?

To my understanding plugging in an inverter in a wall outlet without doing any precautions can be very dangerous.  And my guess is in Thailand even more dangerous then in many other countries. But even Crossy does not warn now, so I start to doubt....

Imagine your inverter is supplying 16A (Maximum what Crossy advises) and the CB on that circuit is 20A. Then you are able to pull on every outlet on that circuit 36A, without a breaker will open. Even way more, before a 20A breaker will open at an certain overload.

But Crossy is better informed. In case I provide wrong information, please remove this post.