I'm planning doing a Visa run to Vientiane.... for a 60 day tourist visa. Any help appreciated

UK citizen, been in and out for years. Currently on a 45 + 30 day visa-exempt... and planning to do a run to Laos, as I used to do pre-Covid

In the past I mostly went by myself as I know my way around in Vientiane and always rented a vehicle there anyways

Thai stamp expires on the 8th... What my plan was... cross the border by myself on the 8th afternoon... I assume it's a form or two and a picture to get across at the bridge and it gives you 30 days in Laos?  Next, head to Vientiane. Monday or Tuesday morning go along to the Thai embassy and fill in the forms and pay.  I assume I just need pictures and photocopies of the usual stuff there?  Is it the same as before?  2k approx and get in early so that it's all processed before midday?  Do I need to take anything specific for my application?  Collect the following day after lunch and return when I like, is that about it?  What am I missing?  It's been so long since this went on I really can't remember

Anyone that has done this recently I would like to hear from you, and many many thanks in advance as usual, and a HNY one and all

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I'm sure you are aware that a tourist visa is also an option at HCMC and return flights cheap.

They require an appointment.

Just another option.

Being UK you are visa exempt 15 days for Vietnam. 

Also did you consider just a border bounce to Laos.

Visa exempt entry will give you 45 day stamp that can be extended by 30 days.

Dont follow the tv option for land border. 

Yes, OP could still do two border bounces before the end of March and then start doing the SETVs after that if needed. I don't see any benefit to getting an SETV now.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I'm sure you are aware that a tourist visa is also an option at HCMC and return flights cheap.

They require an appointment.

Just another option.

Being UK you are visa exempt 15 days for Vietnam. 

Also did you consider just a border bounce to Laos.

Visa exempt entry will give you 45 day stamp that can be extended by 30 days.

Dont follow the tv option for land border. 

You've given me an idea. For my next border bounce I could go to Hanoi and take a holiday in north Vietnam for a few days (I much prefer it to the south). The only problem is, if I come back visa exempt I'm concerned about problems at Suvarnabhumi airport. My situation is I was on covid extensions from the start the pandemic through to 2021 but then returned to my home country right at the start of 2022. I came back to Thailand in September 2022 on an SETV and then did a border bounce to Laos for another 45 days. Do you think I would have problems at Suvarnabhumi?

If you plan to remain a significant period as a tourist, I think you are quite right to go for a tourist visa, retaining the visa exempt entries by land for emergencies. The difficulty will likely be getting an appointment at the embassy in Vientiane (or HCMC) at short notice. In Hanoi, it does appear to be possible to make appointments right now at short notice (https://calendly.com/consular-han/10?month=2023-01) but the site is rather confusing.

You'll need a negative PCR test issued by a hospital or clinic to enter Laos. Without it you will be denied entry and sent back to Thailand. This happened to a friend of mine about a week ago at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. 

Edited by MeePeeMai

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

You'll need a negative PCR test issued by a hospital or clinic to enter Laos. Without it you will be denied entry and sent back to Thailand. This happened to a friend of mine about a week ago at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. 

I was there too last week, nobody asked me for a covid test or vaccination certificate.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I came back to Thailand in September 2022 on an SETV and then did a border bounce to Laos for another 45 days. Do you think I would have problems at Suvarnabhumi?

Obviously the more time spent in Hanoi the better..

Depends on your longer term plans regards how long you wish to stay in Thailand. 

As you are aware it's 2 visa exempt per calendar year via land. 

You could do a border bounce now while it's 45 days and "save" the setv for later.

Then at some point fly to Hanoi and obtain the tourist visa. 

Obviously less hassle entering via air with a visa. 

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I was there too last week, nobody asked me for a covid test or vaccination certificate.

A test is listed as a requirement if you are unvaccinated and the poster wasn't particularly explicit.

If they do not check your vaccination status it wouldn't be a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see any info about proving testing... although I have certs... they mightn't be that recent. 

I am flying in anyway... not a border cross.  You think I will have problems?

Surely they can't turn people around at the airport?  They might subject you to an on the spot test?

Well... any info/experience gladly received... thanks

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Obviously the more time spent in Hanoi the better..

Depends on your longer term plans regards how long you wish to stay in Thailand. 

As you are aware it's 2 visa exempt per calendar year via land. 

You could do a border bounce now while it's 45 days and "save" the setv for later.

Then at some point fly to Hanoi and obtain the tourist visa. 

Obviously less hassle entering via air with a visa. 

That's not good advice because if I did two more land visa exempts then went to Hanoi for a short holiday and came back, I would be even more likely to get hassle at the airport, even with an setv.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

That's not good advice because if I did two more land visa exempts then went to Hanoi for a short holiday and came back, I would be even more likely to get hassle at the airport, even with an setv.

"That's not good advice"

fine ignore it.

BTW I suggested ONE border bounce followed by trip to Hanoi and obtain setv there.

Up to you.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Better to get two 45 day visa exempts in before we go back to 30 days at the end of March.

Certainly an option.

Clearly you are aware of the options. 

Don't see why you are asking for advice. 

12 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

https://laotiantimes.com/2022/12/26/laos-scraps-covid-vaccination-proof-and-test-to-enter-the-country/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Certainly an option.

Clearly you are aware of the options. 

Don't see why you are asking for advice. 

I thought you might have some thoughts on the question I actually asked which was the likelihood of getting hassle at the airport if coming in visa exempt but the truth is no one really knows on what basis they stop people or what the statistical chances are. I didn't expect you to have "The Answer".

23 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I thought you might have some thoughts on the question I actually asked which was the likelihood of getting hassle at the airport if coming in visa exempt but the truth is no one really knows on what basis they stop people or what the statistical chances are. I didn't expect you to have "The Answer".

True.

One thing is for sure is that the time spent out of Thailand helps.

Always surprises me that in the above example of a visa run to Hanoi or wherever and folk want/need to do it in short as time possible.

Even those that have spent extended time in Thailand. 

If it was not for the visa exempt entry currently giving 45 days, I would have suggested doing the visa run to Hanoi first.

The border bounces are not an issue unike refused entry at an airport and they are the safe bet.

There have been reports pre covid of refused entry via air visa exempt and even couple having a tourist visa, however they were extreme examples of quick return.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

A test is listed as a requirement if you are unvaccinated and the poster wasn't particularly explicit.

If they do not check your vaccination status it wouldn't be a problem.

I am unvaccinated. Pure as the driven snow.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, PREM-R said:

Just to add to that, I flew to Vientiane on Dec 24th and there were no questions asked. Oddly enough, when I was at the Air Asia departure gate to leave Thailand (get on the bus to take us to the plane) I was asked to show my vaccine records. I had them with me so no problem but as far as I could tell no one before me was asked.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:11 PM, thejudgegiles said:

I don't see any info about proving testing... although I have certs... they mightn't be that recent. 

I am flying in anyway... not a border cross.  You think I will have problems?

Surely they can't turn people around at the airport?  They might subject you to an on the spot test?

Well... any info/experience gladly received... thanks

Laos entry.jpg