Bangkok Bank -VS- AirBnB = payment refused

Hi guys, please advise what to do. This is basically my only chance to pay, and no time to come up with another option fast enough. 

I have two unnamed cards: MasterCard and UnionPay from Bangkok Bank. Trying to book an appartment in Goa (India), being in Vietnam myself now. 

Mastecard refuses totaly. Unionpay also refuses, but charges 35.41 Baht - I don't know for what, crazy!

Is it even worth it to call the bank and ask for something in this situation? Or is it just not possible to pay for airbnb with unnamed Bangkok Bank cards?

Thank you for your support!

So my Bangkok Bank Mastercard also needs to be switched on? I managed to pay one single Agoda booking with it, after which it never worked again on Agoda.

My name doesn't appear on the card either. I assume that is what is meant by "unnamed".

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to ensure the cards are switched on for international payments \ online payments, usually people arrange this prior to leaving the country at branch \ ATM

I actually did switch on the online payments, and already used the card online at non-thai eshops and even payed for evisas to Vietnam and India on respective government websites... Also received a swift transfer from a USA bank. Looks like the card is totally set up and working. But international payments? You have to ask for this very thing separately? 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What are unnamed cards?

As @JackGats mentioned above - it's a card, on which your name isn't typed nor embossed. It is tied to my bank account, so it's not like an anonymous  prepaid card, but looking at the card there is no way to find out who is its owner.

Edited by Nekto
second quote

I know it doesn't really help our OP but India can be decidedly "funny" when it comes to foreign (non-Indian issued) cards.

The only card I found that worked consistently was AmEx and not everywhere accepts it of course, luckily the hotels tend to be ok. My UK and Thai credit cards both Visa and Master (pukka embossed ones) were variously accepted, declined, did nothing or some other "problem". 

Always had to make sure I had sufficient cash in my wallet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to ensure the cards are switched on for international payments \ online payments, usually people arrange this prior to leaving the country at branch \ ATM

BBL cards are known for being picky/selective about which online traders their debit cards work with even if all the options are activated.   For example, BBL will not authorise online card payments to Tops using my debit card but the same card can be used in the drivers card machine on delivery.   It works for many other vendors here, and for international purchases.  

Queries to the bank always result in "it's already activated, don't know what the issue is, ask Tops".  Queries to Tops result in "no issue with us, check with your bank".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

Please send me a message if you still need help. You should be able to get this resolved by calling 1333 but if not let me know

We strive to serve customers while retaining their trust and preventing fraud. To some that may be Picky. You should be able to use 3DSecure if that site supports it via One Time Password SMS

On 1/4/2023 at 9:54 PM, ianguygil said:

Please send me a message if you still need help. You should be able to get this resolved by calling 1333 but if not let me know

We strive to serve customers while retaining their trust and preventing fraud. To some that may be Picky. You should be able to use 3DSecure if that site supports it via One Time Password SMS

Well, I had to book airbnb with another person's help right now, but I still want to be able to book airbnb by myself in the future:)

I'd love to call, but the roaming will kill my balance - I am not in Thailand right now.

Is there any way to resolve this issue online? Thank you!

Hello, buddy. I had the same problem and found the solution for me. I don't really know, what was the reason, maybe something would work for you. First, I deleted my BB card from payment methods at Airbnb. After that added it to Google Pay in desktop version. There I changed my billing address - while creating an account Bangkok Bank asked for the address in Thailand and in my local country (Russia). I thought, that Thai address would be billing (logically), but actually no. After I changed my billing address inside the card info to Russian, I chose Google Pay as a payment method at Airbnb. They said something like "we should request your bank first". Jesus, I did not breathe that moment. When I pressed okay, they finally opened an OTP window for me, which did not even appeared before. I successfully received my OTP and payment was approved.

Yes, make sure that your daily spending limit for the card is more then the charged amount (initially it is 5000 THB only). Hope this shamanism will help.

And surely, if you are from Russia or Belarus as well, and your payment account in Google Pay is blocked, you should delete it first, then create a new one with location and general billing address in Thailand. And after that you will be able to connect your Thai card, but inside of this particular card give Russian address. Hope it makes sense.