Urgent Overstay Question #2

Greetings.

I'm adding to the URGENT OVERSTAY thread hoping someone has some sound advice.  I used an agent, I know them as my landlord/condo rental agency also in a very large condo complex.  My passport went into immigration on Dec. 9th.  Today, I still do not have my, as requested Non Imm O visa or my passport back.  My permission to stay ends on Saturday.  My agent only say's "Don't worry, you will not overstay".  Well, today is Thursday, I have permission on last 30 day thru Saturday.  Should I go to Jomtien immigration and ask what's up?  Can't really handle the "Don't worry" thing.  It's stressing me.  Will I be on overstay on Sunday if Immigration still has my passport?  Don't know what to do.  They had a police checkpoint out front here on Tuesday afternoon.

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.
  • Thanks 1

If you should check with Immigration or not, is depending on what way you are going with the agent. If you do it for not show money, then you can only talk to the agent. If you are just using the agent for smooth ride with papers, then you can ask immigration. That´s how I see it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

If you should check with Immigration or not, is depending on what way you are going with the agent. If you do it for not show money, then you can only talk to the agent. If you are just using the agent for smooth ride with papers, then you can ask immigration. That´s how I see it.

I just did it to stay out of immigration.  I have everything required.  I have problems with standing for long periods of time.  Guess I'm off to stand in line anyway.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joebuzzz said:

I just did it to stay out of immigration.  I have everything required.  I have problems with standing for long periods of time.  Guess I'm off to stand in line anyway.  Thanks.

Could you not pay someone to stand in-line for you, or is that not allowed ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

Understand the problem for you standing, but in this case you at least have a chance to ask them directly. Hope it get sorted alright for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

I just did it to stay out of immigration.  I have everything required.

Easy to say don't worry but in this case thinking you are fine.

Assuming agent has put your paperwork in there is an under consideration period and at that point the expiry of current permit doesn't come into play. 

You state that you provided everything means that you also met the financials. 

All good. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Easy to say don't worry but in this case thinking you are fine.

Assuming agent has put your paperwork in there is an under consideration period and at that point the expiry of current permit doesn't come into play. 

You state that you provided everything means that you also met the financials. 

All good. 

Thanks for the reply. I actually walked into immigration on the 9th, saw my envelope of documents handed over the windows to a "waiting" rep, he came out and took my picture.  I was there 2 minutes.  I am aware that immigration is very busy now and I'm not trying to reflect that my agent has failed me.  It's just that I am in fear of getting stuck in some checkpoint without permission to stay document in my possession.  I have a receipt from my agent.  I can "hope" that would do, but hope, is kinda like a wish, they don't work either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joebuzzz said:

It's just that I am in fear of getting stuck in some checkpoint without permission to stay document in my possession.

Your home free.

Now that you have mentioned that docs have been handed in there is no issue.

Forget about your current permit expiry date.

All under control. 

4 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I've just had a retirement extension done, took 7 days from handing my passport over to being completed , your nearly coming up to 1 month for a non o, why's that taken so long, think you need answers now..

I've done that before, about 6 years ago. I left, now I'm back.  In 2016 my Non Imm O-A took one day.  I've been told that all in country Visas have to go to Bangkok for approval.  However, I cannot verify that.  It's the first Visa that seems to be the issue, not extending it. 

Edited by Joebuzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I've just had a retirement extension done, took 7 days from handing my passport over to being completed

The OP has seen his papers handed in by agent and had photo taken. 

All is fine. 

Agent process very different to doing it yourself.

The agent may wait till has certain number of passports to submit.

Bit similar to waiting for minivan to fill.

Also you were doing an extension.

OP is applying for a non O 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Yet people are always telling us they use an agent to ease the stress ????

I didn't do it for the ease of stress.  When I did my first 30 day and my Resident Cert, I had to stand both times for a very long time.  My back has "issues" with that.  I think they'd think I was crazy if I attempted to pace the floor, through a crowd, for an hour. 

2 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

Maybe.  Now looking for a "Line Standing Service" online.  Any recommendations?

???? No sorry, in the province I live, queuing isn't a problem, but I'm on a marriage visa and pay my witness 500b as she can't work that day, just offer that to someone who looks like they need the money or grab a granny. looking forward buy a fold out chair, and do away with the agent. 

• Haha 1

Just now, brianthainess said:

A friend of mine once needed a witness, he went outside paid an old lady 200b who swore to immigration she had known him for years. 

I don't need a witness.  I have witnesses if one is requested, I need to find out the status on my O-Visa.  My stay technically ends Saturday.

44 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

I have a receipt from my agent. 

Is that receipt from the agent or is it the the receipt from immigration with a under consideration stamp and date on it?

For what its worth I recently did a conversion to Non-O and the under consideration period was just over 3 weeks. When I finally got the Non-O visa the begin date was the day I had applied for the Non-O conversion not the day they actually put my visa stamp in. Your stamp may well be for Dec. 9 so as mentioned you probably wont' be on overstay at all.

Just now, ningnong said:

Is that receipt from the agent or is it the the receipt from immigration with a under consideration stamp and date on it?

For what its worth I recently did a conversion to Non-O and the under consideration period was just over 3 weeks. When I finally got the Non-O visa the begin date was the day I had applied for the Non-O conversion not the day they actually put my visa stamp in. Your stamp may well be for Dec. 9 so as mentioned you probably wont' be on overstay at all.

My receipt is from the agent that notes the purpose, Long Stay Visa, and the amount.  I would assume the agent rep was handed the receipt since they have the responsibility to pick up my passport when completed.  I will go see my agent and get a copy of the receipt from immigration to carry until they finish.  I hope it's done today or tomorrow before my permission ends on Saturday.  Thanks for your reply.

19 hours ago, Joebuzzz said:

I didn't do it for the ease of stress.  When I did my first 30 day and my Resident Cert, I had to stand both times for a very long time.  My back has "issues" with that.  I think they'd think I was crazy if I attempted to pace the floor, through a crowd, for an hour. 

I agree with previous  responder. If standing is painful, get a wheelchair

If your passport is really being held by Immigration (which is possible) it is 100% certain there is nothing to worry about. There is a long under consideration period associated with application for a "conversion" Non O visa. However, it is worth mentioning that more commonly the agent has your passport during the under consideration period, and is responsible to going back to get the visa stamp and fresh 90 day permission to stay (basically taking your place in the process). If so, it is possible for the agent to misplace the passport. This will still not immediately put you on overstay. Assuming the authorisation to issue the visa comes through by the appointed report back date, you are still not regarded as being on overstay if you attend immigration late. The visa and fresh 90-day permission to stay have been authorised. All that is missing are the stamps in the passport that show this. You could end up on overstay at some point down the line, if the passport is irretrievably lost.

Note that almost invariably you will sooner or later receive your passport back with almost 15 months remaining on your permission to stay. The agent is allowed to apply for the one-year extension early.