(im)possible to open a bank account on a tourist visa ?

My mother is retired and visiting the first time in 3 years due to.. you know... 

now exploring the possibility of maybe getting a retirement visa to be able to stay longer...

visa on arrival, extended

out in for new 45 days, extended

immigration for sure will complain and demand a correct visa

so exploring options and is the first thing to do, not to get a bank account ?  

to season the 800k to be sent from abroad ?

No banks and we visited a lot want to open on a tourist visa.

We try to explain that to start the retirement visa at immigration,   converting an tourist on arrival (tm86?)  would need a bank account ?

Or you do not to prove anything of $$$ for asking for a non-o 90 day conversion , which in the last month you go apply for an extension and needing the 800k seasoned?

Am I missing something ?

Any bank and location that does not have all these ....

It is no longer possible to open a Thai bank account on a visa waiver stamp except (maybe) at Bangkok Bank. I have tried at more than 40 branches in 5 provinces. Krungsri, SCB, Krung Thai and Kasikorn have all told me very consistently that it was possible on a waiver stamp or tourist visa but no longer is. Now you need a “one year visa.”. You are wasting your time telling them that you need a bank account to get a one year visa. Might as well speak to them in Swahili. 

An agent will undoubtedly use Bangkok Bank and it may not change the requirements, just that they will speak to the branch staff on your behalf which is probably unnecessary.

Anyway the short version is try different Bangkok Bank branches until you get one that is cooperative. 

Edited by Everyman

12 hours ago, Everyman said:

It is no longer possible to open a Thai bank account on a visa waiver stamp except (maybe) at Bangkok Bank. I have tried at more than 40 branches in 5 provinces. Krungsri, SCB, Krung Thai and Kasikorn have all told me very consistently that it was possible on a waiver stamp or tourist visa but no longer is. Now you need a “one year visa.”. You are wasting your time telling them that you need a bank account to get a one year visa. Might as well speak to them in Swahili. 

An agent will undoubtedly use Bangkok Bank and it may not change the requirements, just that they will speak to the branch staff on your behalf which is probably unnecessary.

Anyway the short version is try different Bangkok Bank branches until you get one that is cooperative. 

Which Bangkok Bank branches in Pattaya did you try?

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Which Bangkok Bank branches in Pattaya did you try?

Sorry, maybe I miscommunicated but I did not try any Bangkok Bank branches since I already have an account with them. 

But they do say on their website that they open accounts for tourists and there are recent anecdotal reports to that effect on the internet. 

• Thanks 1

If you have a 1 year rental contract condo

Embassy letter stating true passport

Embassy letter with a statutory declaration that you want to open a bank.

Tourist visa

With the following above you can open banks on a tourist visa with krungsri or bangkok bank. Easy peasy

If not just pay a agent around 5000 baht and you wont even need any of the above ...... si@mlegal.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

You may consider using an agent to help open an account,  costs 3-5k.

Otherwise its a case of going bank to bank, branch to branch until one says yes. Try and get a resident certificate from immigration first. Go to the main branch for the bank, not the small shopping mall branches, go to the branch close to immigration, take a Thai account holder with you as a reference.

Your location may help for a recommendation.

This is good advice imop!

The Welch neighbor just got one at Kasikornbank Sakon Nakhon last year in October.

He was here on a tourist visa!

On 1/6/2023 at 9:59 AM, Peterw42 said:

You may consider using an agent to help open an account,  costs 3-5k.

Otherwise its a case of going bank to bank, branch to branch until one says yes. Try and get a resident certificate from immigration first. Go to the main branch for the bank, not the small shopping mall branches, go to the branch close to immigration, take a Thai account holder with you as a reference.

Your location may help for a recommendation.

Hi there, I hope this may help you out. I've been making one year visas through an agent for the past 8 years. The banks I was taken to were all Bangkok Bank. The last 3-4 years I've been taken to the Bangkok Bank in the top end of Pattaya Klang, between BigC and Sukhumvit Road. Cheers.

• Like 1