Bosch SDS plus rotary hammer polarity matter?

Elkski

Bro in law shocked me with having a Bosch sds hammer drill.  He was using it today to put up a hammock and it seemed to hammer drill  fir 1 min then seemed like it went to 30% power.  He smelled it but I didn't smell a smoked comes out of motor smell.   I plug on the cord had the ground plug snipped off but looked like an aftermarket plug he put on with no polarity control.   I flipped it around with no change.   I'm wondering whatay have happened?

Overheating? If so why can't seem to find any info on the Bosch website.  Not exactly sure which model it is. 

This ^^^. 

It is worth checking the brushes and popping the covers off.

Maybe the speed control thingy has died and is available as a spare.

Your nose is a valuable tool in determining just where the Magic Smoke has exited.

• Like 1

It looks to be genuine but it's old and a used motor and gear box housing is in the box.  I don't like trying to fix  predobbed things.  That part failing would fit things in my mind.  Thanks Crossy

Edited by Elkski
  • Haha 1

Round button is the trigger lock, on a drill it locks in the "on" position.

Made in China (as a lot of stuff is), check the brushes (get on Lazada) and the speed controller as noted earlier.

• Haha 1

Looks like the white wire wasn't routed correctly be the shaft center and the place it goes on top is kinda ugly zog zag.  It looks like someone has partoally6opened the switch body.  Bro in law doesn't have torx drivers.   May explain why they are not screwed in.    Maybe those new switches with the speed stop would still work.   

20230106_182331.jpg

20230106_182439.jpg

20230106_182540.jpg

20230106_182644.jpg

Well I finally cleaned it enough to see the model number . It's a GBH -2-26

tried to find new brushes but came home with ones not exact.  Seemed like it should work.  But now it sparks and smokes.  Needs a complete teardown.  Maybe when I tried to clear the openings in the rotor contacts, some of which had rubbed together, some copper slivers may be in bad places.  I do love these little hardware parts stores. 

20230107_070405.jpg

Edited by Elkski

Certainly clean out the commutator gaps, any copper in there is bad news. 

Smoke is definitely bad news!

But in reality, it could just be time for a new drill, the law of diminishing returns and all that. ???? 

• Thumbs Up 2

It is very clear that there has been little if any cleaning of the drill. FWIW I have power tools I’ve had in reasonably consistent uses for over 50 years that are cleaner than that drill.

My first step would be to completely disassemble the drill and clean and lubricant it, at that point you can see if the lack of care has trashed the parts to the point that maintenance is not worthwhile. Things like bearings and other wear parts are unlikely to break the bank. Then you can see if it is worthwhile spending money on it 

It is far from clear if it is an actual Bosch tool since the reference D-70745 is for a Bosch battery.

you can get a reasonable quality tool for under ฿2,000 like this, I have one.AF6DE5F1-33DF-4721-A1AB-395F91137C3E.thumb.jpeg.4081a655ffbc6ebdc14bef8e91d8800b.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elkski said:

I may sound faster now but gets to hot from the windings.  Probably needs brushes.    Maybe a motor shop in a town nearby may have some

Edit: You already went local

Edited by VocalNeal

If I had a lit work bench, cleaner, grease, tools I would take it all apart.  It probably needs bearings.  I do think a new tool  is a good idea.  Currently borrowing one to finish a demo in bathroom.   Wish I had my selection of SDS bits.   Oh well.  It was a tool that probably had issues at his old job.  Yes it's dirty.  He does need one but I think one of his helpers when he pours cement owns this one.  They tie in the skabs to the house with like 1/4 dowels.  Not rebar, no texture so small.  And the mesh they use in the slab is so thin.  

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

If I had a lit work bench, cleaner, grease, tools I would take it all apart.

Any table will do for a bench,

for cleaner, use Lazada, you can get cans of break cleaner,

grease, any farm supply shop has that,

tools, you probably need very few, again any farm supply shop has them, possibly just a Philips driver.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I do think a new tool  is a good idea.

Far from a forgone conclusion until some TLC has been performed, but maybe.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Wish I had my selection of SDS bits. 

use Lazada, you can get Bits you want or a farm supply shop.

• Like 1