NO amount of alcohol is safe! WHO experts warn

Social Media

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

This is hilariously dishonest and huffily repeating it over and over again like some kind of (possibly Mormon) incantation doesn't make it any less so.

Whenever a pedant intones ponderously about "society" to make their spurious and self-serving point, you know you're dealing with someone who's claiming a macro-view that they thought up in the shower. It's vacuous moral posturing

Other people can certainly "envision" a life without alcohol. However, they very reasonably disagree with you. And then they go back to "envisioning" this and that. You do not have a patent on envisioning.

Disagreeing with you is not down to a failure of their intelligence or an inclination to end up like the drunk in A Rake's Progress. Some people, for example, do end up a degenerate gamblers, but the vast majority just like to buy a lotto ticket once in a while.

People simply use the eyes that God gave them, look around, and see people enjoying a glass of chianti with their pizza without not falling into a swirling vortex of mental ruin, sudden death, or hobo lifestyle.  Only you -you alone in the universe- think this. 

Next up: a non-pub pub bore fearlessly confronts someone who's eating an ice cream cone:

"You do real-uh-ize that you're spiking you're blood sugar, don't you? What's wrong with you? What's wrong with Society? What kind of death-dealing conspiracy is 7/11 perpetrating? Why won't anyone listen to me?".

Edited by LaosLover

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

This is hilariously dishonest and huffily repeating it over and over again like some kind of (possibly Mormon) incantation doesn't make it any less so.

Whenever a pedant intones ponderously about "society" to make their spurious and self-serving point, you know you're dealing with someone who's claiming a macro-view that they thought up in the shower. It's vacuous moral posturing

Other people can certainly "envision" a life without alcohol. However, they very reasonably disagree with you. .

That's not down to a failure of their intelligence or an inclination to end up like the drunk in A Rake's Progress. Some people, for example, do end up a degenerate gamblers, but the vast majority just like to buy a lotto ticket once in a while.

People simply use the eyes that God gave them, look around, and see people enjoying a glass of chianti with their pizza and not falling into a swirling vortex of mental ruin, sudden death, or hobo lifestyle.  Only you -you alone in the universe- think this. 

Next up: a non-pub pub bore fearlessly confronts someone who's eating an ice cream cone:

"You do real-uh-ize that you're spiking you're blood sugar, don't you? What's wrong with you? What's wrong with Society? What kind of death-dealing conspiracy is 7/11 perpetrating? Why won't anyone listen to me?".

Have you noticed how racists spend most of their time arguing that something or someone isn't racist.

So it seems the same applies to the alcohol lobbyists

• Haha 1

A lot of people say they aren't racist BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT RACIST.

Again, you're wholly dishonest. They don't necessarily "spend most of their time" asserting this. They just assert that they're not racist.

If a leg-humping control freak follows them around hissing at them demanding non-racism proof, they might engage for laughs.

For you, mere disagreement means "lobbying".

• Like 1

Future post to look forward to:

Me (sane person) - "I'm not a tree frog, OK? I'm just not".

Would-be Mormon -"Ha! that's just EXACTLY what a sneaky, indolent, leaf-munching tree frog would say. I gotcha and I gotcha good. Stop lobbying for tree frogs".

20 hours ago, Hummin said:

David Bowie admitted drugs was a fallback for his creativity, and many more.

maybe Edgar Allen Poe and Charles Bukowki were heavy drinkers.

who knows man?

edit: I looked it up and found this ...

https://joinclubsoda.com/hub/alcohol-bad-creativity/

Alcohol is really bad for creativity

Ernest Hemingway was a big drinker. He loved all the drinks – wine, whiskey, rum – anything that gave him warm relief at the end of a days writing. But this is what he actually said about alcohol and creativity.

“The only time it isn’t good for you is when you write … You have to do that cold.”

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

All these are trying to cope with the realisation that they are drinking on their own or have gone down a line they can't get out of...

Drinking at home on your own is the best!

Way cheaper, far more comfortable, and you don't need to drive back drunk.

As for the OP, the WHO need to be disbanded, they want to rule the world, and their world would be a soulless and miserable place.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

People simply use the eyes that God gave them, look around, and see people enjoying a glass of chianti with their pizza and not falling into a swirling vortex of mental ruin, sudden death, or hobo lifestyle.  Only you -you alone in the universe- think this. 

It's true that the vast majority of people consume alcohol without severe negative effects. 

But a certain percentage of the population may have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed. I am just such a person. Every last person in my family has addiction issues.

But a lot people also have limited mobility. Reasonable accommodation should be made for them. Should all staircases be replaced with ramps?

The Mormon pub bore says as much -"you want stairs?  Why?".

While it's fun to make fun of him, I'd be curious as to what life experiences led him to such an absolutist opinion.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

If people are pushing things on you and you feel that they are "normalizing" things you don't like, I refer you to a favorite Bruce Springsteen lyric:

There's the door

You know what its there for.

Normalize away, I say to the world.

"Drink bulimicly; It's normal". 

"Uh yeah, sure. Thanks anyway".

Normalizing = complaining about something that I don't like and then claiming that there's a secret conspiracy of normalization that's out to get me.

You can just not like something and leave it at that.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• insomnia, cold turkey, shivers, tremors
  • "cod eyes" just like that bi*ch Liz T.
  • BO, pale skin
  • alco-humor, irritability, short attention span
  • strange facial expressions
  • time traveling: 50+ y.o. farang acting like 20 y.o. macho

Don't you just love it? And I forgot to add: very "intellectual" conversations. often over opinionated.

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

If people are pushing things on you and you feel that they are "normalizing" things you don't like, I refer you to a favorite Bruce Springsteen lyric:

There's the door

You know what its there for.

Normalize away, I say to the world.

"Drink bulimicly; It's normal". 

"Uh yeah, sure. Thanks anyway".

Normalizing = complaining about something that I don't like and then claiming that there's a secret conspiracy of normalization that's out to get me.

You can just not like something and leave it at that.

I hate being told or forced to do something that should be my decision and nobody else! So I prefer to be a bit odd sometimes instead of following the stream. Maybe thats why I created my own businesses than rather being an employee.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

It's true that the vast majority of people consume alcohol without severe negative effects. 

But a certain percentage of the population may have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism.

Be aware that globally , alcohol consumers are in the one third MINORITY. 

It is a characteristic of drinkers to see themselves ego-centrically, but their perspective is simply blinded by their choice of drug

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It is a characteristic of drinkers to see themselves ego-centrically, but their perspective is simply blinded by their choice of drug

I post a pic and link this time to make it easier for you

I do agree alchohol is devils drink, but for those who enjoys it controlled socially it can also be good. But even me get angry when people can not behave and also execute group pressure especially when someone do not drink in the group.

To many expats is used to drink and drive and no hesitation at all.

Some interesting data.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita

Screenshot_2023-01-10-15-09-29-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Already proven.

QED means you've proven something. It's pretentious to use it when you're not discussing a proof, and embarrassing to use it you're just ranting and not even remotely proving anything

Not sure if irony or not ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

not sure where you get your numbers.

oh wait ... the middle east ... women don't drink at all in the middle east. the men are not supposed to , but...

otherwise, france and italy enjoy their wine, germany beer. 

north americans can't watch a sporting event without beer.

all asian cultures have drinking cultures. i think 

what about india and africa?

20 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

not sure where you get your numbers.

oh wait ... the middle east ... women don't drink at all in the middle east. the men are not supposed to , but...

otherwise, france and italy enjoy their wine, germany beer. 

north americans can't watch a sporting event without beer.

all asian cultures have drinking cultures. i think 

what about india and africa?

from the Lancet.

but hey! Who needs numbers when you've got bigotry?

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

QED means you've proven something. It's pretentious to use it when you're not discussing a proof, and embarrassing to use it you're just ranting and not even remotely proving anything

Not sure if irony or not ????

Your "one quote wonder" - shows that less than half the world drinks alcohol and the amount is declining - but I was making comments about the inability of drinkers to perform critical thinking - and you appear to be the exemplification of this. hence QED. Good luck Googling!

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Your "one quote wonder" - shows that less than half the world drinks alcohol and the amount is declining - but I was making comments about the inability of drinkers to perform critical thinking - and you appear to be the exemplification of this.

You should be proud of yourself, managing such insane self control, and on top of that, spread so much love, understanding and good karma as well positivity. 

• Love It 1