Travel insurance warning after Welshman's motorbike crash

webfact

On 1/7/2023 at 2:45 PM, 007 RED said:

He looks remarkably well considering his recent trauma, relaxing on the beach, under the shade of a tree somewhere, enjoying a cool drink.  OK he's still got a chest drain in, but it would appear that he's out of hospital and that might indicate that someone has paid his hospital bill. 

From the OP,

"Adam's family have raised £20,000 to pay for treatment...".

There's no suggestion that paying the bill was a problem.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:00 AM, SuperSilverHaze said:

Yes, to be honest I obviously didn't read the article and just made an assumption he bought a cheap policy when he was signing up for his rent a bike.

But these sorts of trip insurance policies are next to worthless as well. Whenever we buy such policies to go to the United States I always hold my nose and hand over the money but know that they're pretty much worthless

I've claimed legitimately 4 times down the decades all paid out in full less excess

Edited by Chivas

28 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Not even sure if it was implemented to be honest.

But, the idea was to have a bucket of money out of which hospitals could be compensated for not being paid. It had nothing to do with an individual being insured as so many on here and other forums kept banging on about. It does not negate individuals having the means (whether it be personal finance or by being covered by an insurance policy) to cover any treatment required in the case of falling sick or having an accident within Thailand.

It sound like Hospitals lobbied for a cheeky slush fund.

There was something like this talked about for the American music industry. It was decades ago. Again, I don't remember if it was implemented. The idea was that money from tapes, that COULD, be used for piracy, should be shared out to record companies who were losing to piracy.

There is a problem when politicians in any country are taking money from lobbyists. You can't trust the cheeky fellows.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:48 PM, ozimoron said:

Not even close. I saw the aftermath (dead body) of a recently unreported motorcycle accident in Soi Buakhao, Pattaya, on the night of the soccer world cup. The rider killed himself and a pedestrian, both farangs.

Just today I witnessed two girls on a scooter get hit by a car turning into Big C extra from Sai 3. The girls suffered gravel rash. Me and a mate gave them 500 baht each to help buy medicines and left when the police turned up.

What were your other times seeing this? Many of us travel extensively in Thailand and never see what you claim. Do you follow all news threads?  You probably do actually ????

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

What were your other times seeing this? Many of us travel extensively in Thailand and never see what you claim. Do you follow all news threads?  You probably do actually ????

I don't think it matters how many times. I have made my point. Two unreported deaths in the middle of the tourist zone on world cup night proves it.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I don't think it matters how many times. I have made my point. Two unreported deaths in the middle of the tourist zone on world cup night proves it.

I'm sorry you spend so much time on this forum. Also that you need to respond so much. 

On 1/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, webfact said:

Adam, from Dinas Cross, Pembrokeshire, now faces large medical costs which are not covered by his travel insurance.

Because he is not considered a tourist due to his long stay in Thailand.

It is quite common for “travel insurance” to have a definition of what is considered “travel”, which often limits it to 30-90 days.

When I asked my insurance company about insurance while I was in Thailand, the duration of my stay was their first question.

• Like 1

If you had an amazing experience with your Health Insurance while being sick in Thailand. Or having to get operations even. With one or a few night.s stay.

In a modern private hospital like Pattaya Bangkok Hospital?

Not talking about public hospital here, to be clear...

I have heard BNH in BKK is a great choice as well.

Would you mind sharing with us your insurance, plan. Even better if you share your entire experience.

I think it would be great for everyone else to read.

I had BUPA Platinum 5 million THB for 2 years.

But since I left Thailand I see they have been absorbed. Disappeared.

Not sure if I can trust the buyer, Aetna, the same way I did BUPA.

BUPA has always paid.

Although I had only 2 procedures under General Anesthésia.

I arrived at the hospital. Showed my BUPA card.

During the procedures lasting half a day each, I suppose the hospital insurance team took care of everything.

Because I walked out both time without paying anything.

Even for things that the Doctor told me the insurance would not pay (the Anaesthetist, because it didn't required General Anesthesia).

BUPA paid everything anyway.

So I'm kind of worried about which to choose now.

Any advice for 2023?

Left Thailand in 2018 but coming back.

Realised BUPA is gone.

Edited by alexlm