Lawyer to draw up will

Alphim

On 1/14/2023 at 11:36 PM, soi3eddie said:

I started to deal with my father's estate some years ago and in the end handed the process over to solicitors. Maybe it's easier now with more help forthcoming in completing the tasks involved in the UK. 

The Thai lawyers did mention probate having to go to court which is mainly why I stated needing legal knowledge.

As an interesting excercise, I asked ChatGPT. The question and response is below. Probably why the quote from lawyer for handling probate was so high but 150,000 Baht still seems excessive.

Q: How do I file probate in Thailand for foreigner? If it is difficult then why?

Filing probate in Thailand for a foreigner can be a complex and time-consuming process.

1. Gather necessary documents: The first step is to gather all necessary documents, such as the deceased's death certificate, a copy of their passport, and any last will and testament.

2. Hire a lawyer: It is highly recommended to hire a local lawyer who is experienced in probate law in Thailand. They can assist with navigating the legal system and can help ensure that the process goes smoothly.

3. File for probate: The next step is to file for probate with the appropriate court in Thailand. This will involve submitting all necessary documents and paying any fees associated with the process.

4. Notify relevant parties: Once the probate process has been initiated, the executor of the estate must notify any relevant parties, such as heirs and creditors.

5. Obtain a probate order: After all necessary documents have been filed and all parties have been notified, the court will review the case and issue a probate order.

The process can be difficult due to the complexity of the legal system in Thailand and the language barrier. Additionally, there may be additional requirements or restrictions for foreigners filing for probate in Thailand. It is important to work with a reputable lawyer who is familiar with the process to ensure a smooth and successful outcome.

Here my experience. I got a 150,000 to 200,000 ++++ Baht quote too BUT:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

If DIY Last Will...where does one take it to be filed or registered when it's complete? Like where would one take it in Jomtien or Pattaya? Thx. 

You don't need to file it or register it anywhere special. Some people have successfully lodged one at an Amphur but there is no specific need to.

Make sure your executor knows where to find it and or give them an original.

If you want a Thai lawyer involved I am sure they will look after it as well....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1