You're so American!

Jingthing

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Where were they getting Canadian flag patches in America circa 1997? No Amazon back then.

Are you very young? Pre "Amazon" we had a thing called "mail " ???????? and "magazines" and "catalogues"????????

Edited by mikebike
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The patch I never see or knew about

Because it never happened.

Canadian flags on backpacks was a running joke on Lonely Planet for 2 decades. Who lacks irony more than Canadians? 

I lived in England at the height of Iraq war. I had no problems at all. One time, I put on a George Bush mask and invited people to throw fruit at me to raise money for a local hospice. Sadly, the hospice found this to be in bad taste. I had 4 takers. I didn't even have to change my shirt.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Are you very young? Pre "Amazon" we had a thing called "mail " ???????? and "magazines" and "catalogues"????????

Extremely weak and desperate.

Like I said, my mall had no flags of the world store (and neither did yours). What magazines and catalogs were you getting extolling Canadian flags? "Honey, another flag catalog in the mail, when will they stop besieging us" -said nobody, ever.

Your small potato's, made-up resentments against America are fit only for making you a figure of fun. The fact that it chortles you to see Americans in discomfort says so much about you.

When we American are somehow briefly forced to think about Canada, we wish you well. And we want an apology for Alan's Morrissette.

Edited by LaosLover

17 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

This is the one that immediately says 'American' to me. 

The majority of Americans I meet and know as personal friends really don't get the pi$$ taking we Brits do.      

This is a very valid criticism of Americans abroad.

One that I alone as an American, made -while drunky brits here only complained about our leisure wear choices for the millionth time.

What about the store known as Primark? Can brits really diss Americans fashion-wise at all?

Edited by LaosLover

53 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Why do Americans go abroad when they love talking about themselves and their country so much ? Wouldn't it be much more enjoyable for them to remain in their own patch of global paradise. Not a thread goes by on here without an American trying to relate it somehow to their home country. I haven't read a single comment, just the headline and comment count is enough for me. ????.  

I see this representative of most of the "declared" nationalities and not just "Americans"..... It's a pretty common observation in the expat universe.....

There's several from the US on here that contribute without being braggadocios.....

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

This is a very valid criticism of Americans abroad.

One that I, an American, made while drunky brits here only complained about out leisure wear choices the millionth time.

What about the store known as Primark? Can brits really diss Americans fashion-wise at all?

The short answer is yes! American fashion is simply shocking. In fact I would even venture that it's not even fashion but just practical; cargo shorts, Jesus sandals (with socks) and the mandatory checked shirt or t-shirt (always with some picture or writing on it). 

I do suspect this is a generational thing though as most of my younger American friends at least ditch the cargo shorts and Jesus sandals. 

16 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

The short answer is yes! American fashion is simply shocking.

May I introduce you to........Germany? 

So many of these complaints seem at least a generation out of date. As American hegemony has increased and consolidated, Euro's hold on to these wacky totems of superiority ever more sadly.

I lived in England for 8 years. I freely admit that they are much better educated than Americans -and yet,   it's a broken down theme park on life support.

To quote Trainspotting: "Wonkers, sure?  But we're conquered by wonkers.".

Americans spoiling "everything" travel-wise goes back to Henry James.

I recall a brit on Lonely Planet claiming that Luang Prubang was over-run by bad taste yanks; in 1998. How many American tourist showed up there in 1998? 

It's another made up victim-problem.  I just relocated to Nimman, Chiang Mai. I've met one other American so far in 100 days. What % of tourists here are even from the states? It's a great thing that we don't even have to be physically present to create outrage.

I told people on the Lonely Planet offshoot board that I exhumed the Canadian flag troll. Expect some  cheery look-ins.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

Why do Americans go abroad...

very few do, per capita. 

Not until 9/11 did many have passports, as not necessary when traveling in most of the Americas, where most Americans holiday.

I only went to Europe once, and to visit my niece.  If she didn't live there, the trip would have never happened.   If I didn't work for an airlines, and had timeshare weeks to burn, I would have never went to Phuket, the first time, and that was geared toward a diving holiday.

I found no reason to leave the Americas to holiday.  Hop up to Canada, and I do know all the provinces ????, down to Mexico, and more than a few islands in the Caribbean.  No reason to leave, and have yet to have a better holiday in either EU or TH.

If not for an occasional earthquake and extreme weather in those holiday areas, I wouldn't be here.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Most Euro's vacation in cultural hotbeds like Benidorm.

Benidorm and the likes were much more popular in the 80's and 90's mainly due to the cheap package holiday boom and charter flights that allowed the orinary working class a chance to holiday abroad. It's not been popular for quite some time and doesn't even make the top 10

https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/blog/inspiration/revealed-the-uks-top-10-favourite-beach-destinations/  

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Where were they getting Canadian flag patches in America circa 1997? No Amazon back then.

At the Canadian-appreciation store? 

Demanding that every single backpacker be polled before laughing at Canadians is desperate. Laughing at Canada is as involved with Canada as we Americans ever get.

Amuse me. Tell me how it was a  necessary strategy. What terrible things happened to people who had the nerve not to pretend to be Canadian? Were lives saved by Canadian flags?

Can you share a fake Canadian story?

Yeah. Sometime back around 1990 when the Americans had Clark AFB in Angeles City, Philippines, two American soldiers were shot. After that there were stories of Americans wearing t shirts with Canadian flags on them. I don't know if it was really true because it was a couple of years before I arrived there but the stories persisted for some years.

• Like 1

Uh, Benidorm is listed as #9 on that list. The other spots are likewise mass tourist beaches. 

I recall whole Greek Islands considering banning brits for football thug behavior. So what's worse: subpar sportwear or dodging a glass thrown at you in Crete?

True Story: I took my brit wife to Club Med in Turks and Caicos. I got an unlimited drinks wrist band, she was denied.

Why do you think that was?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

here were stories of Americans wearing t shirts with Canadian flags on them. I don't know if it was really true because it was a couple of years before I arrived there but the stories persisted for some years.

Would Americans serving in the military be allowed to represent themselves as Canadian? Even off duty?

Again: I love the smell of britosphere desperation in the morning.

Edited by LaosLover

I would go with a proven winner like an amulet over a maple leaf tee shirt to avoid getting shot.

Or better yet, I'd use the brains that god gave me and just LEAVE a place that was shooting Americans.

We need to hear more about these very implausible people who decided a tee shirt was the solution to death threats. It's like something out of Borat.

There is this very unattractive need to see An American Squirm (and it felt so good) -Thank you Robert Smith of the Cure.

We don't think that way about you. It's a very one-way neurosis.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:33 PM, KhunLA said:

I don't.   Still the Land of Opportunity (USA), and definitely enjoyed my birthright of being part of and taking advantage of it.  But I hold no respect for the govt and politicians, or policies.  USA not alone in that, as I don't think I like any country's politics or govt.

People themselves, are basically the same worldwide.  I see no difference what so ever between most nationalities.

I'm a little conflicted on that.

I agree that humans are humans we all have the same pluses and minuses but not sure we all hold the same values.

I don't think I hold the same opinions on the rights of women, in lets say Afghanistan or Iran.

I'm an hispanic American. Can't believe my Government would try to erase my culture like the CCP in China are trying to erase the Uighur culture.

So Yes, we all share the same DNA but not sure about values

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm a little conflicted on that.

I agree that humans are humans we all have the same pluses and minuses but not sure we all hold the same values.

I don't think I hold the same opinions on the rights of women, in lets say Afghanistan or Iran.

I'm an hispanic American. Can't believe my Government would try to erase my culture like the CCP in China are trying to erase the Uighur culture.

So Yes, we all share the same DNA but not sure about values

Values is something that cames with culture, religion and politics. 

I seperate culture and religion on purpose, because New York is quite different from Texas, and Texas is quite different fom California as well Tampa in Florida, to Key West!

• Like 1